Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sonic Generations NVIDIA Optimus Issue

BUMP this up! SEGA as a shareholder this is unacceptable. This is on sale on Steam today so lots of people will be buying. I too suffer from this issue. Please fix it soon SEGA.

Quote Originally Posted by Andie View Post
    BUMP this up! SEGA as a shareholder this is unacceptable. This is on sale on Steam today so lots of people will be buying. I too suffer from this issue. Please fix it soon SEGA.
    It's a problem with NVIDIA, NOT SEGA. Go complain to the ****** GPU ripper offers. Next time get a Radeon.

Subscribe to me on YouTube! Lot's of Let's Plays and Gameplay, including Sonic!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    Aaron Webber is the Final Boss.

Quote Originally Posted by Helpfully View Post
    I managed to play the game using my NVIDIA GeForce GT 550M on my ASUS N53S Laptop.

Here's how to step by step:
    1 ) Open your NVIDIA Control Panel(By right clicking on the desktop and selecting the "NVIDIA Control Panel")

2 ) On the 3D Settings List, Chose "Manage 3D Settings"

3 ) On the "Program Settings" tab, add the SonicGenerations.exe and ConfigurationTool.exe in your installation folder, then force both of them to use the High Performance NVIDIA processor. (Don't forget to apply the changes)

4 ) Open your "Screen Resolution" window (By right clicking on the desktop and selecting "Screen Resolution").

5 ) Click Detect

6 ) It should display additional monitors greyed out and saying "Another display not detected". Find the one that is not Intel Integrated Graphics but your High Performance NVIDIA Graphics (Whichever it is) and select it.

7 ) On the "Multiple displays", chose "Try to connect anyway on: VGA" (it can be another slot depending on your hardware).

8 ) Apply.

9 ) Again on the "Multiple dislpays", chose "Extend these displays".

10 ) Run the ConfigurationTool.exe, it should show your NVIDIA graphics card as a graphics adapter.

11 ) Select your main display which is Intel Integrated Graphics. (Do NOT select your NVIDIA card!!! Because it is not associated with a monitor.)

12 ) Run the game normally. It should work fine now.

I believe I figured out the problem. The main problem that the game is not running is because of the optimus technology. It makes the NVIDIA GPU sleep when it is not needed. But the game however checks the GPU it will use if it exists or not. Since the NVIDIA GPU is sleeping, the game cannot detect the GPU leading to a crash. We need to have the NVIDIA GPU awake before starting the game. This is only a trick to keep NVIDIA GPU awake before starting the game.

Hope this will work for you as well.
    Good luck =)
    I'm not seeing the greyed out additional monitors for step 6! Why not? Somebody please help!

Still waiting for a fix also, would be nice if sega can update the configuration file! My intel card is good ennough to run it, but with horrible framerates :S

Forcing it to use nvidia and the game says the game isn't compitable with my card...

Are sega/nvidia still working on this?... (Somehow my intel card doesn't run it anymore either, probably did something wrong with the settings...)

Littletiger posted this on the steam forums, it worked for me and I have more than double FPS! (alienware m14x, nvidia gt 555m) so I though it would be usefull to post it here.

------
    Hey guys,

I think I may have found a possible solution which does not require the display extension workaround. I am not sure if this will work in all problematic cases, but it has worked in the case of a GeForce GT 555M chip.

1) Open the NVIDIA Control Panel, go to "Manage 3D Settings" then "Program Settings". Add the sonicgenerations.exe executable and set the preferred graphics processor to be the NVIDIA one.

2) Open "Control Panel" and look for the "Device Manager". Open it and expand the "Display Adapters" item. Make a note of the exact name given to your NVIDIA adapter (including the use of capitalisation.

3) Use the Sonic Generations configuration tool to configure the game to your liking and save.

4) Go to the Sonic Generations directory (in most cases "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\sonic generations") and open GraphicsConfig.cfg in notepad or your preferred text editing software.

5) You should notice that the second line will be the name of your Intel adapter. Replace this with the name of your NVIDIA adapter exactly as it appeared in Device Manager.

6) You should see a line that says something like "MONITOR\LGD0292\{4d36e96e-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\ 0000" (this will vary depending on your exact setup, just look for line of this format), it should be the second to last line. Delete the contents of this line completely so you are left with a blank line. Here is my configuration file as an example:

Do not manually edit this file, use the configuration tool.
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M
    \\.\DISPLAY1
    d7b78e66-4256-11cf-fd56-b424b7c2c535

7) You should now be able to play the game

One thing that should be noted is that the line "\\.\DISPLAY1" may need changing as well. In my case, DISPLAY1 is fine when only my laptop display is enabled. However when the display was extended onto the "fake" Intel VGA display, I needed to change it to DISPLAY2. Therefore if DISPLAY1 does not work, I recommend trying DISPLAYi where i is the number of displays you currently have enabled.

Good luck!
    ------

Someone once PMed me this before but didn't mentoin to remove 1 line and the spaces after the graphics card. (For gt 555m 3gb I didn't have to add spaces, the above steps gives 1space in the configuration file, so still watch carefully as it may be different for you. )

Hello everyone, this is my first post here.

Ok, I've tried every solution to this problem but nothing, it keeps on the error:
    "The detected configuration does not match you current hardware. Please re-run the configuration tool"
    reading the post of vmagic, i understood that is still possible to play it with the Nvidia if using an external monitor connected with HDMI:

Quote Originally Posted by vmagic View Post
    I'm proficient with computers, I understand what's being said - you go into display resolution screen, detect displays and there's only the main laptop screen and 1 extra "greyd out" screen that comes up, "VGA Device on Intel HD"... there's no option for the NVIDIA card to be forced to a VGA connection. This isn't a problem related to DELL/NVIDIA as a.) you're trying to force a display that isn't there in the first place, this is like trying to put duct tape on a broken car and saying "it's fixed" and b.) everyone else I've spoken to with the same model laptop+display adapter has the same issue as I do. The only way to fix this is (on my laptop, at least) for SEGA to remove the "hardware check" upon launching the game that comes back with an error. That way we could force the game in the NVIDIA control panel without it complaining

This fix works for some but not for others, and it's not a problem with my hardware/software as HDMI out works fine and enables the NVIDIA card without issue (letting me play sonic generations on an external monitor with all its graphical awesomeness) and all other games I've tried work fine with the nvidia card and optimus technology, turn on the GPU indicator in the taskbar and it's easy to see when the NVIDIA GPU is being used... even if some games need to be forced in the nvidia control panel. I appreciate people trying to help but believe me when I say this "fix" does not work on my laptop and no amount of saying "it should work, if it doesn't work then it's a problem with your laptop" will make it work - my laptop's fine, the workaround works for you but not for me, SEGA should have anticipated and bug tested.

case in point... modern warfare 3 boots automatically to the Intel HD card, the config tool doesn't recognise the NVIDIA card, when you force the game to use the nvidia card and boot the game it comes back with "hardware config has changed, would you like the game to re-calibrate settings based on current hardware"... you click "yes" and the game boots normally using the NVIDIA card without a problem

all sega need to do is remove the check that spazzes out once the game's booted with the NVIDIA card and all would be ok - I'd bet money that this NEVER happens
    So, can anyone explain me how to get working this game on external monitor, at least? I assure that I've tried every possible solution; the game still works only with my Intel card.
    Speaking about the trick, in the "screen resolution" window I get the 3 screens and apply "extend screens"; then, also forcing the sonic.exe to use the Nvidia GT630M card, nothing: still the error of hardware mismatch. In sonic config, whatever I choose (if Intel graphics or Nvidia) I have still the same error; also editing the cfg file, with whatever number of spaces afterwards the Nvidia card name i put in, I get the same error; this, also if I change the number after the "Monitor 1" in whichever number from 1 to three.
    Hoping I explained my point, sorry for my english!
    Is there anyone that can help? I'll be so happy playing Sonic Generation even only on an external screen, if with his full resolution and graphics! :')

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...17.12.9687.ZIP

This fixed the issue for my Samsung Series 7 Chronos laptop. After installing these drivers I was able to play the game with my card at 1080p with shadows and AA on at 60fps without changing any settings in Nvidia control panel.

Let me know if this works for anyone.

Obviously this is not suitable for an ASUS user, I guess... Thank you anyway.

None of this would happen of course if Sega didn't make the misguided decision to have it force-verify if the configuration has changed on every startup. Sega are the ones in the wrong here, they built their game in a really strange way.
    Last edited by Hinchy; 10-17-2012 at 10:06 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123