Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Was the series ready for Cartoons and Comics back then?

Default Was the series ready for Cartoons and Comics back then?

Was the Sonic the Hedgehog series even ready for Cartoons and Comics in the 90s? With the seperate back-stories between the US and Japan, let alone the fact the series wasn't even finished being developed in '93!

The Comics should have started by at least 1995 or 1996. By then, we have Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Metal, Eggman/Robotnik, 7 Chaos Emeralds, South/Westside/Angel Island and the Little Planet, the Chaotix, Time Stones, Chaos Rings, Flickeys and Animal Friends, and so on...

But the Comics and cartoons were made too early, resulting in Universes completely different from the Games.

EDIT: And SEGA Of America shouldn't have "localized" the series so much. Or, let SEGA Of Japan develop the story first, then the US translate it/Censored it.
    Last edited by thesoniczone11; 12-07-2011 at 03:21 PM.

Honestly? I wouldn't have wanted a universe like the modern games. If people want that, then they should just go play them.

EDIT: And SEGA Of America shouldn't have "localized" the series so much. Or, let SEGA Of Japan develop the story first, then the US translate it/Censored it.
    There was no "localizing" department. They were to make their own stories because well...they could. Honestly? It seems as though SoJ's story is more geared towards trying to reel in fans from Japan. The storyline didn't seem to incorporate very much in the way of US elements even when the US made ...what was it majority of their consumers? Speaking business I think if SoJ had been in control of the comics and cartoons from the start, Sonic's decline would've occurred much sooner or he wouldn't have taken off at all. The SoJ storylines didn't even really take off in Japan. I'm not going to really comment on whether that makes them *bad* but I don't regret that they let the other branches do their own thing.

Considering the comics and cartoons were based on almost completely different material than the games, I don't think it would've mattered. Plus, Sonic was still new back then and needed all of the marketing he could get.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokonoe View Post
    The internet is ruining my childhood.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmh View Post
    It'll ruin your adulthood too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic5993 View Post
    Considering the comics and cartoons were based on almost completely different material than the games, I don't think it would've mattered. Plus, Sonic was still new back then and needed all of the marketing he could get.
    I agree. If they didn't release with the cartoons and comics. Well....we wouldn't have this Sonic fanbase.

The early 90's was Sonic's peak in popularity, it was the ideal time for all the spin-offs and junk.
    11/20/11

It was ready for them. What the Sonic franchise wasn't ready was all the whinners that feed themselves solely on nostalgia and cannot let go of childhood dead corpses.

Quote Originally Posted by RedMenace View Post
    It was ready for them. What the Sonic franchise wasn't ready was all the whinners that feed themselves solely on nostalgia and cannot let go of childhood dead corpses.
    By "ready", I meant was there enough material to adapt. I mean, All they had was Sonic = Hero, Tails = His best friend and sidekick, Robotnik = Evil Scientist wants to rule the world and robotize everything, and theres animal friends that they save, along with certain animal friends that Are Actual Friends of Sonic. That was it. Only 3 main characters, and a few side characters. And Robots.

lol Sonic CD was released in 1993... You know what SEGA of America did instead of adapting the characters or anything? Oh just change the name to Sally of course.

SEGA of America have always had a love for their little pet XD Guess they weren't happy enough with just changing Sonics design!

Quote Originally Posted by Egg View Post
    lol Sonic CD was released in 1993... You know what SEGA of America did instead of adapting the characters or anything? Oh just change the name to Sally of course.

SEGA of America have always had a love for their little pet XD Guess they weren't happy enough with just changing Sonics design!

"Sega Y U NO JAPANESE RAGE, RAGE, RAGE" What did Sonic CD change? All it did was add two more characters one of which wouldn't even be all that important until 1998, so what the hell we're they going to adapt with as they had? The OVA was going to be a series but was only able to get 2 episodes, I wonder why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokonoe View Post
    The internet is ruining my childhood.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmh View Post
    It'll ruin your adulthood too.

Quote Originally Posted by thesoniczone11 View Post
    By "ready", I meant was there enough material to adapt. I mean, All they had was Sonic = Hero, Tails = His best friend and sidekick, Robotnik = Evil Scientist wants to rule the world and robotize everything, and theres animal friends that they save, along with certain animal friends that Are Actual Friends of Sonic. That was it. Only 3 main characters, and a few side characters. And Robots.
    There was. You see STC did a very good job in the first 100 issues. And it was very close to the game materials as well. The things they picked and ran away with that were tied to the games were very nice constructions, such as Super Sonic and the six -> seven emeralds explanation. It's not as if AOSTH was a big departure either and the OVA is contantly liked as well.

SatAM / Archie were the ones that dropped the ball. They were simply Sonic featuring in their original story. Underground as well, but everyone agrees on that one.
    Last edited by RedMenace; 12-08-2011 at 11:15 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast