View Poll Results: Does this crossover seem like a good idea?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Maybe the best crossover game I may ever see if it's made.

17 60.71%
  • It looks good, but there are still others that seem better.

1 3.57%
  • I don't know until I see if 2D or 3D gameplay will be used.

2 7.14%
  • I don't think it could turn out good, but we'll have to see.

2 7.14%
  • I don't like the idea. These two are still rivals or I like Sonic/Mario, but dislike Mario/Sonic.

6 21.43%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: If a Platforming Crossover is Made, What Would You Like to See?

Quote Originally Posted by E.Gadd View Post
    They couldn't reach an agreement in the past sure, but I seriously doubt they've actually put much thought into it today beyond, "Oh that would be neat I guess..." *shrugs*

Nintendo wouldn't be up for a platformer if it meant said game would compete with NSMBwhatevers sales, that's why I think an RPG could work.

But of course an RPG isn't a traditional platformer so most people would still be dissatisfied with that.
    Who do you think would be in charge of such an RPG? SEGA again?

Quote Originally Posted by Meep View Post
    Who do you think would be in charge of such an RPG? SEGA again?
    GAWD NO.

Camelot ideally, they have a great track record with RPGs and a history working for both publishers.

If not them then AlphaDream, they're zany enough to make it work.

Well this could work for a crossover game.

Eggman & Bowser kidnaps Sonic & Mario's friends turning them into stones and travel to lands to free there friends after there worlds were merge together causing destruction to the world. Sonic rescues Luigi and Mario rescues Tails.

Mario
    ---------
    The traditional Super Mario Bros gameplay with Super Mario Galaxy elements.
    Supporting character: Tails

Sonic
    --------
    The hedgehog engine
    Supporting character: Luigi

Stages
    ---------
    World 1-1: Super Mario Bros
    Enemies: Goombas,Koopas,Paratroopas,Piranha Plants
    Ally rescue: Luigi
    Play as: Sonic

Green Hill Zone: Sonic 1
    Enemies: Motobug,Buzzbombers,Chompers,Crabmeat
    Ally Rescue: Tails
    Play as: Mario

Big Island 4-2: Super Mario Bros 3
    Enemies: Giant Goomba,Giant Koopa,Giant Piranha Plant,Big Hammer Bro
    Ally rescue: Toad
    Playable: Mario

Oil Ocean: Sonic 2
    Enemies: Aquis,Octus
    Ally Rescue: Amy
    Playable: Sonic

Bowser's Castle: Super Mario World
    Enemies: Mecha Koopa,Chargin Chucks,Ninji
    Ally Rescue: Yoshi

Death Egg: Sonic & Knuckles
    Enemies: Spike bonker,Chain Spike
    Ally Rescue: Knuckles

Boss: Bowser & Koopa Klown Car

Boss: Great Eggman Robo (powered and upgraded by Modern Eggman)

*more soon*

I've said it before and I'll say it again (even though I mentioned it to sega I never got an answer..) but sparkster would fit in perfectly for a crossover with sonic (and I'm not just saying that), their gameplay styles are just different enough to work together but not too different, sonic has his speed and momentum gameplay, sparkster can do a bit similar with his rocket pack and he can also fight enemies close range, pilot mechss, fly at insane speeds and other stuff.

It won't happen because sadly a lot of people just don't know who sparkster is but a lot of people I know thought that was a good idea with sonic and sparkster I just hope konami and sega may think about it someday even if it's just once, much as I love mario these guys only work in the olympic games, you also need to consider marios super powers it wouldn't be that even when it got to that part.
    Last edited by Sonic satam; 04-04-2012 at 11:01 AM.
    Give rocket knight adventures another chance konami, don't let it die again, the franchise and fans deserve better.

Senior Member Silver Tha Hedgehog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic satam View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again (even though I mentioned it to sega I never got an answer..) but sparkster would fit in perfectly for a crossover with sonic (and I'm not just saying that), their gameplay styles are just different enough to work together but not too different, sonic has his speed and momentum gameplay, sparkster can do a bit similar with his rocket pack and he can also fight enemies close range, pilot mechss, fly at insane speeds and other stuff.

It won't happen because sadly a lot of people just don't know who sparkster is but a lot of people I know thought that was a good idea with sonic and sparkster I just hope konami and sega may think about it someday even if it's just once, much as I love mario these guys only work in the olympic games, you also need to consider marios super powers it wouldn't be that even when it got to that part.
    Great idea, Yes just yes, with sega listening to the fans alot latley this could happen too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic satam View Post

I agree with you about Sonic & Sparkster, just like I think Mario & Goemon would be a better fit, I don't think Konami cares anymore about any of their platformer mascots.(in addition to what you said about popularity)

It's like how Banjo-Kazooie would be a perfect fit for Smash Bros., but it ain't likely to ever happen anymore. Just not even remotely. Kinda sad really.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Tha Hedgehog View Post
    Great idea, Yes just yes, with sega listening to the fans alot latley this could happen too.
    Heh, if this is the case then I really wish sega somehow found a way to make sparkster one of their characters ,least he'd get some recognition this way instead of being left in the dust.

Again I'd love to see sonic and sparkster team up it would be great first and secondly it would put everyone who called him a clone of sonic in their place, both of these games made Me an instant fan in the 90s, rka1 also surpassed sonic and knuckles in some parts (and I'm a massive fan of the old sonic games and more recent colours and generations).

Even a 3d rka game would work with revengance engine, blades of steel flying engine and zone of enders mech engine, playing as sparkster in 3d flying through crazy places, taking on massive armoured blimps would be incredible but konami doesn't seem that interested.

Sorry for going off topic but seeing sonic and sparkster in a crossover game would be a dream come true, I've always wanted to see that since rka1 first came out, hell if by a rare chance sparskter gets in next smash game and it has tag battles I'd team him and sonic up against metaknight and mario.

E.Gadd: yeah it's a shame to see what konami's turned into today, sparkster is one character that has so much potential along with the series (which could've easily branched off as much as megaman imo) but after rka1 when they did rka2 they sorta gave up and after rocket knight which wasn't a rka game, everyone wanted a real sequel didn't get one, now konami will probably put him back in obscurity for another 16 years just because rk wasn't what we wanted instead of having another attempt (like games companies used to do), climax weren't the right people, I take My hat off to Tom Hulett for bringing sparkster back but if you don't know how to make an rka game then look for the right team (ie the ones who made contra hardcorps uprising that should've been rk).

Back on topic a pretty interesting idea for a sonic and mario crossover could possibly be a luigis manstion style game or some sort of riddle solving game, where as each character you have to run through brief areas to find a clue (ie if the mansion was alive and it played a bit like castle of illusion ie you open a door, go through a small lvl, find that clue to carry on), but I guess that idea isn't much better than werehogs and guns so I'll drop it :P, however what's not to say you could'nt make that game with the chaotix in mind, put them with luigi in that mansion and you have some sorta riddle/ minor sh game with both uncovering something.
    Last edited by Sonic satam; 04-04-2012 at 04:18 PM.
    Give rocket knight adventures another chance konami, don't let it die again, the franchise and fans deserve better.

^If only profit weren't everything, this newer generation of gaming in many ways is ed up.

BTW, that mysterious mansion idea actually sounds like fun, and something more likely to happen than a straight-up platformer. (This board has been in great need of creative people with unique ideas like that, it's a nice change of pace! hopefully someone at SEGA glances in occasionally.)

Quote Originally Posted by E.Gadd View Post
    ^If only profit weren't everything, this newer generation of gaming in many ways is ed up.

BTW, that mysterious mansion idea actually sounds like fun, and something more likely to happen than a straight-up platformer. (This board has been in great need of creative people with unique ideas like that, it's a nice change of pace! hopefully someone at SEGA glances in occasionally.)
    yeah gaming didn't used to be about aaa hollywood style blockbusters and wanting to beat or be call of duty, variety's doing out in favour of companies playing it safe which in turn ruins it, sure there are some fun ips but I like variety and too many games are trying to take other concepts to survive and changing their ips instead of creating new ones and all it does is hurt them (esp the established fanbases beforehand ie resident evil to full on cod/gow since the devs made a stupid statement that sh games don't sell anymore when dead space and other games clearly prove that wrong, it's just lazyness on some devs half and if we don't get some variety back then gaming will get really stale soon, how long till someone says platform games need to be like cod ie uneccessary change and not caring what said fanbase thinks).

If I had the money and the resources I'd make a remake of rka1 in a heartbeat, I've got the ideas (including a metroid style armour upgrade system which gives you a new sword and diff rocket pack after you pick up blueprints to get to other areas which you can use in workshops throught the world, just an expansion on rocket knight since sparkster had a shed to create things and it would be a great expansion along with a way of going back to the originals roots and it would be sparkster vs axle gear and the black knights trying to take over zephyrus that we never saw but was hinted in the first games manual).

But konami won't hear them, and it's a game that everyone deserves to play (bit like ico and beyond good and evil), it just wasn't advertised and today with no animal mascot craze the first remade in hd sprites could sell like crazy.

Wouldn't work. Gameplay styles are too different. I don't see how you could combine them. Cross them up in an RPG instead. Now that could work.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast