Thread: My *shocking* mobile revelation. ipad is a...

Banned

Default My *shocking* mobile revelation. ipad is a...

ipad is a fad!

Anyone else think this way?

Discuss..

note: I said ipad is a fad, I didn't say tablets were..

Banned

if you're just now finding out that iPad is a fad than come on dude. :P

I mean the new iPad somewhat surprised me in terms of Technology, but that's literally all they changed. added an actual GPU and a bigger screen. besides that it just looks like a bigger iPad 2 to people and they would buy it either way.
    Last edited by Kraiola; 03-19-2012 at 07:04 PM.

Banned

Do you believe tablets are a fad or just ipad?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mookie Carver View Post
    Do you believe tablets are a fad or just ipad?
    I honestly think the spreading of tablets all of this sudden is starting to become a fad for money.

iPad 1 and 2 could of had a longer survival time. Apple just went ahead and made another iPad which was honestly a stupid idea so it really feels like a fad.

Tablets are a fad, at least in the grand scheme of technology. We've had PCs for over thirty years, game consoles for over thirty years, cell phones for over twenty, etc. I don't see tablets being a factor for that span of time.

Tablets are a transitional technology. Fat, cumbersome, expensive, non touch screen, windows based laptops currently dominate the market, so there is a niche for tablets to fill. Where as laptops can be used for both work and play, tablets are mostly time wasters. Anyone who wants to use their tablet for work needs to by a keyboard for it. And what happens after they do that? Well, it basically becomes a cumbersome laptop.

The upcoming generation of ultrabooks are a natural evolution of the tablet. By the end of this year we are going to have ultrabooks that are thinner then a lot of tablets currently on the market and just as powerful. These ultrabooks will also have touchscreens, making use of the more touch friendly Windows 8 interface, and they will of course be ergonically designed with a keyboard built right in.

I bought a keyboard to use momentarily use my iPad for college work, as I was between operational laptops at the time, and I found it to be far more cumbersome, to the point where I preferred using a slow, $250 netbook instead. The ultrabook I'm using to type this is GREAT. It's thin, it's screen is larger then my iPad's, the keyboard is comfortable and glows, and I don't need to constantly plug the screen into my keyboard as I had to do with my iPad.

Ultrabooks are only going to get better, and they will eventually replace modern day laptops, netbooks, and tablets as the true all in one. I only hope we start getting some Android based ultrabooks.

I'm sure some will just call these "tablets with keyboards", but that kind of defeats the whole concept of a tablet. Stick a keyboard on a tablet, and it's no longer a tablet. It's a laptop. Or "ultrabook", I guess.
    Last edited by Nuckles87; 03-21-2012 at 05:35 PM.

one of the great technology and it has almost replaced laptops.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nuckles87 View Post
    Tablets are a fad, at least in the grand scheme of technology. We've had PCs for over thirty years, game consoles for over thirty years, cell phones for over twenty, etc. I don't see tablets being a factor for that span of time.

Tablets are a transitional technology. Fat, cumbersome, expensive, non touch screen, windows based laptops currently dominate the market, so there is a niche for tablets to fill. Where as laptops can be used for both work and play, tablets are mostly time wasters. Anyone who wants to use their tablet for work needs to by a keyboard for it. And what happens after they do that? Well, it basically becomes a cumbersome laptop.

The upcoming generation of ultrabooks are a natural evolution of the tablet. By the end of this year we are going to have ultrabooks that are thinner then a lot of tablets currently on the market and just as powerful. These ultrabooks will also have touchscreens, making use of the more touch friendly Windows 8 interface, and they will of course be ergonically designed with a keyboard built right in.

I bought a keyboard to use momentarily use my iPad for college work, as I was between operational laptops at the time, and I found it to be far more cumbersome, to the point where I preferred using a slow, $250 netbook instead. The ultrabook I'm using to type this is GREAT. It's thin, it's screen is larger then my iPad's, the keyboard is comfortable and glows, and I don't need to constantly plug the screen into my keyboard as I had to do with my iPad.

Ultrabooks are only going to get better, and they will eventually replace modern day laptops, netbooks, and tablets as the true all in one. I only hope we start getting some Android based ultrabooks.

I'm sure some will just call these "tablets with keyboards", but that kind of defeats the whole concept of a tablet. Stick a keyboard on a tablet, and it's no longer a tablet. It's a laptop. Or "ultrabook", I guess.
    Great thoughts on ultrabooks, Nuckles. I totally concur and that is where my money is going - ultrabooks and not to tablets. As pro-mobile I am, it does not override my objectivity in calling ipad a hipster and house wife fad that at this point is getting annoying.
    Last edited by Mookie Carver; 03-24-2012 at 12:04 PM.

I don't know if tablets will become a fad.

The Kindle Fire tablet for example seems like it may have a good future. It is cheap and it does all basic needs. Oh, and it is also a Kindle. Unlike the iPad, it doesn't cost nearly as much as a laptop computer.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AutoSaver View Post
    I don't know if tablets will become a fad.

The Kindle Fire tablet for example seems like it may have a good future. It is cheap and it does all basic needs. Oh, and it is also a Kindle. Unlike the iPad, it doesn't cost nearly as much as a laptop computer.
    I see a future where a tablet is cheap, semi-durable, utility and not the luxury toy item that ipad is. There will be a day when kids get assigned tablets from school instead of textbooks. They will be low cost, sub $200 items and not $500 or $600 ipads.

Does ipad as it is now even have any productive value? What "work" does anyone do on an ipad?

Just as advances in mobile tech bring better graphics, so will they bring decent low cost tablets at low price points.

While Apple currently enjoys like 70% tablet market share today, it is projected to only have 46% of the market in 2016. Where will all that market share go? Low cost tablets is my guess.

I await the day foldable tablets come out. And I don't mean touchscreen laptops, but ones that you can fold to the size of your wallet. Then you can unfold halfway into a cellphone, or all the way for the tablet.

I guess they would be obsolete compared to holo screens though.
    SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY