Thread: Sega Genesis Model 2 bad video quality

Default Sega Genesis Model 2 bad video quality

I just recently purchased a sega genesis model 2 online with a sega cd model 2. Both work great overall. I have them connected to an old 27" CRT television (what I use for all of my classic gaming).

I know there are multiple models of the Sega Genesis and then there are many variations and combinations of video encoders and sound chips on the different ones. So the one that I purchased seems to have a lot of noise in the video quality. I see horizontal lines in the picture and some rainbowing. (I think that is the technical term for it.) I'm trying to figure out if there is anything that I may be able to do to improve the picture quality or if I just have gotten unlucky and possibly have the worst version of the genesis that is available. Right now I'm using AV cables and I'm not interested in going all out and attempting a mod to add component, s-video, etc. I'm just wanting to get a better picture over all.

Is my only choice to try and get a different model genesis?

Super Moderator - Four Tails of Fury QuadTails's Avatar

The AV cable connector could possibly be worn out. Do you have a spare RFU adapter or another compatible connector you can test out the genesis with? Lower quality, aftermarket cables can display the symptoms you describe. Wiggle the cable around a bit. Does the picture improve or get worse?

It could also be the genesis. Considering their age nowadays is very possible for the onboard video outputs to become worn out, oxidized, etc. Unless you have experience with soldering, it usually is better to buy another genesis.

You have the choice of either trying out a different output cable (a gamble) or a different genesis/cable altogether.

Make sure the rainbow/horizontal lines aren't a defect of the TV itself either. Try the genesis on a different TV if you can.
    Tired of the same old forum emoticons? Are you a Tails fan?
    Then get the Tails emoticon Sega forum script today! (URL has been fixed!)

~A script by XFoxPrower and QuadTails~

Thanks for your reply QuadTails!

I took a picture with my iPhone 4 tonight. You can't see it great in this picture but hopefully you can make out what I am referring to.

http://i.imgur.com/qDF9U.jpg

I have tried it on another tv and I see the same thing. Also other consoles do not have this issue on the TV that I usually use this on. I did purchase the A/V cable off of ebay and I'm sure it's an aftermarket cable. I don't have an original official cable to compare it to but it seems to be high quality. The RF cable that came with the sega genesis had a broken pin on the part that would plug into the genesis so I don't have anything else to test with. I may need to try to get my hands on an official cable just to be sure. I'm not afraid of soldering if you have anywhere to point me to.

Super Moderator - Four Tails of Fury QuadTails's Avatar

In that case, I'd check for any oxidation on the pins on the back of the genesis. You may need a pretty good magnifying glass, good vision, and a bright light though.

Personally, I think you should try to get your hands on another cable. Judging from the picture, it doesn't look *too* bad, but I would expect better from high quality a/v cables. It looks more along the lines of RF coax quality. So it's really a gamble at this point if there doesn't appear to be any evident oxidation on the connector pins on the back.
    Tired of the same old forum emoticons? Are you a Tails fan?
    Then get the Tails emoticon Sega forum script today! (URL has been fixed!)

~A script by XFoxPrower and QuadTails~

Quote Originally Posted by chairfreak View Post
    Thanks for your reply QuadTails!

I took a picture with my iPhone 4 tonight. You can't see it great in this picture but hopefully you can make out what I am referring to.

http://i.imgur.com/qDF9U.jpg

I have tried it on another tv and I see the same thing. Also other consoles do not have this issue on the TV that I usually use this on. I did purchase the A/V cable off of ebay and I'm sure it's an aftermarket cable. I don't have an original official cable to compare it to but it seems to be high quality. The RF cable that came with the sega genesis had a broken pin on the part that would plug into the genesis so I don't have anything else to test with. I may need to try to get my hands on an official cable just to be sure. I'm not afraid of soldering if you have anywhere to point me to.
    Are you sure it's not a problem with you TV? I once had a problem similar to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Palas View Post
    SA2 die-hard fans are always wrong about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by hypersonic2560 View Post
    Big is always right about everything~
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cunning Condor
    Next time on The Sega Forums! Is Blaze Fertile?

Buy A uk lcd or crt portable tv and get your self a custom made rgb cable best picture is with a crt.

only like a 5 here for a scart rgb tv crt shipping cost the most but much cheaper then them scart to yuv conveter.

I don't really see the problem with it. If you are using RF then that quality is utter crap as usual. If you are using Composite open up the Genesis and look at the board around the AV port. If you see a chip labeled something like SKA2195D or just KA2195D then you have a Genesis with the crappy Samsung encoder. If you see something labeled CXA1145, CXA1645, or MB3514 then you have a system with a good encoder. Though composite video on the Genesis isn't really that great to begin with. If you can do it try RGB SCART.

Also this is a great resource:
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...-from-bad-ones