Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [PS2] Nightshade/Kunoichi

Default [PS2] Nightshade/Kunoichi

Did anyone else play this game? And if someone did, then what did you think of it? I am currently playing through this, and I must say that I think it's a great game. I love games with female a protagonist and this is one example of a great character. Probably, after I finish this, I will start with Shinobi for PlayStation 2.

Nightshade, released in Japan as Kunoichi, is a video game for the PlayStation 2, developed by Wow Entertainment and published by Sega in 2003. It is the 11th game in the Shinobi series and follows the exploits of a female ninja named Hibana. Its original name, Kunoichi, roughly translates as "female ninja". The game is a direct sequel to the 2002 PS2 game Shinobi.

STORY:
    In Nightshade, the player plays as Hibana, a female counterpart to Shinobi's Hotsuma. She is a government-employed ninja tasked with the elimination of members of the Nakatomi Corporation, which has unwittingly unleashed hellspawn upon futuristic Tokyo. She is also ordered to recover the shards of Akujiki, the legendary cursed sword that Hotsuma used to seal the hellspawn the last time.

GAMEPLAY:
    Nightshade's missions are linear, and each one culminates in a battle against a challenging boss opponent. The core of Nightshade's gameplay is hack and slash, with accumulating combos on spawning enemies about the level. Using Hibana's weapons; a katana (the primary weapon), short daggers (achieve less damage, but score a higher combo multiplier), shuriken (long range projectiles), and various ninjutsu spells, the game challenges the player to achieve as high a score as possible while eliminating the opposing threat.

Nightshade also includes aspects of platforming. With Hibana's ability to dash in mid-air, the game requires the player to use this ability to bypass holes and hazards. Game mechanics restrict Hibana to only a double-jump and an air-dash before she falls, requiring the player to strike enemies in mid-flight to stay in the air. By doing this, the player combines accuracy and timing to stay in the air continuously, or fall to their death.

If the player has a completed save file from Shinobi then Hotsuma, the protagonist of the previous game, is available as an optional playable character. He differs from Hibana in that he does not use daggers like her and is only able to use Akujiki, the sword he used in the previous game. Hotsuma plays exactly as before with the same moves and operates under the same mechanics as he did in the previous game. He must always be finding and defeating enemies to feed their souls to Akujiki, or the cursed sword will devour his soul instead and kill him.

From Wikipedia

Last edited by SEGA_Fever; 03-25-2012 at 03:41 PM.

I have not played this game... I came off the dreamcast feeling like PS2 was the enemy so i skipped it and went to Xbox,,, WAITING for Sega to drop shinobi and Nightshade on it. Never came. None the less, its either that sega puts out a HD compilation with these two on it or i gotta go (spend more money) and buy a PS2 and these games....

Quote Originally Posted by supahype View Post
    I have not played this game... I came off the dreamcast feeling like PS2 was the enemy so i skipped it and went to Xbox,,, WAITING for Sega to drop shinobi and Nightshade on it. Never came. None the less, its either that sega puts out a HD compilation with these two on it or i gotta go (spend more money) and buy a PS2 and these games....
    If you do decide on buying a PlayStation 2, you will not be disappointed! I currently own over 500 titles on the system, and I'm not nearly done with the system!

There are just so many gems on the system, you'll be playing for years to come!

Yeah Fever... I know part of the reason im not trying to buy the ps2 is simply "video game collection control" lol. I have all sega platforms from MS to DC & Xbox + 360 with about 400 games total. If I buy, that will be a whole other line of games that are available. Im so behind on playing stuff right now... I had Headhunter 2 in the plastic for 7 years (2005-2012) till last month because it took me that long to get around to finish part 1 ...

Honestly, you're probably not going to like Shinobi as much as Kunoichi. I love Kunoichi but it certainly spoiled me as Shinobi feels primitive in comparison. Still Shinobi is a cool game but Kunoichi was a great improvement. I also find Kunoichi a better name than nightshade because it actually makes sense...
    Last edited by Mr.Din; 04-30-2012 at 01:50 PM.

I would love to play them, and I blame myself for wasting all 202 opportunities I had on getting them.. Now I pray to SEGA that these games are poted to PSN/XBLA.

Please, SEGA. =( i've recently become addicted to the Shinobi franchise. Port the Ps2/xbox games to digital market like you did with Sonic Heroes!
    http://forums.sega.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=117267&dateline=13371  96921

Wow... Thanks for the input Mr. Din. Ill keep in mind to play through Shinobi first lol. Still waiting for a HD port from sega either to disk or to the XBL/PSN. This is easy money for you sega!!!

Personally I would love to see some sort of "Ninja Collection" from Sega. While were at it a fighting collection would be awesome too.

Quote Originally Posted by shihe View Post
    Please, SEGA. =( i've recently become addicted to the Shinobi franchise. Port the Ps2/xbox games to digital market like you did with Sonic Heroes!
    Shinobi is availible on PSN as a PS2 Classic, only on the EU though,

Quote Originally Posted by Saccubus View Post
    Shinobi is availible on PSN as a PS2 Classic, only on the EU though,
    I know, but I can't just transfer my money over to the Europe account... And I shouldn't have to. This is something that SHOULD be available for all regions around the world.
    http://forums.sega.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=117267&dateline=13371  96921

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast