Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fund-Raising Idea: Assuming Yakuza 5 West plans are on hold/cancelled

I would LOVE to help.

Should be stickied. But realistically, how much could we actually do? The number of people serious about this, what is it? 100? Assuming that they all pay the $60 that's a measly $6000, and that itself is a VERY optimistic figure. But how much help would it do? Very tricky.

Quote Originally Posted by WhatTheFIsACeeDee View Post
    Should be stickied. But realistically, how much could we actually do? The number of people serious about this, what is it? 100? Assuming that they all pay the $60 that's a measly $6000, and that itself is a VERY optimistic figure. But how much help would it do? Very tricky.
    Well, think about it for a second, the game will be whole for the Japanese market. All that is needed for a western release is a translation, how much could it be? Certainly not in the millions. We don't know what the costs are, but if you've ever patched RPG roms with an English patch, the file size isn't huge. So, the majority of the money is for labor, man hours.

I'm just speculating of course, but the enthusiasm on here is unbelievable. Maybe they plan to release it despite the news, but since we haven't heard anything from Sega regarding Yakuza, we all want to make sure it happens.

Hopefully, Ruby can address Yakuza's future when information becomes available.

If $6000 could pay for cover design, booklet design, translation and an English trailer. Then definitely, I hope it can.

Another thing, I don't know is Sega produces disks only in Japan or not, but if it does, then that would result in some shipping costs too.

Nothing is going to stop Yakuza 5's development, people. Sega of Japan is responsible for its development, and the only real financial problem lies with Sega of America, which is primarily just a publishing arm for the company. Yakuza 5 has already been given a multi-million-dollar budget along with nationwide marketing campaigns and product tie-ins. Sega generally uses in-game merchandising and real product usage licenses to pay for Ryu Ga Gotoku's hefty development bill, and that means getting real storefronts, real citizens and celebrities, and real name brands to contribute to what is one of Japan's most respected and critically acclaimed franchises. So, in reality, Sega's development division already has ingenious "fund-raising" in place for the franchise, which only grows to new extremes with each release.

If you're worried about localization, don't be. Yakuza sells plenty of copies in America and Europe to offset the minimal cost of translation, packaging, and distribution. Despite being astronomically expensive to develop, localization is ridiculously inexpensive. With the outrage that surrounded Yakuza 3's delay and subsequent removal of Japanese cultural content from the Western release, Sega now fully understands what the American audience expects with future Yakuza localization. That's why 4 came so quickly after 3's initial release here and also why the hostess clubs, mahjong, shogi, etc. were all back in place. You can count on Yakuza 5 coming to America within 6 months of its Japanese release, and since this is the biggest and most expensive Ryu Ga Gotoku game yet produced, I can guarantee you that Sega of America will see it as an opportunity to make up some of the ground it's lost.

Yakuza 5 will probably get dated for mid-2013, it will include 5 cities (Tokyo/Kamurocho, Osaka, Nagoya, Sapporo, and uoka) along with multiple playable characters (Kiryu and Akiyama likely included). Nagoshi has also promised seemless cinematics and combat that will no longer take the player in and out of inconsistent modes, which led to a choppy presentation in 3 & 4. The whole thing is getting a serious overhaul, with a new graphics engine and tons of new minigame content. Rest assured, no release territory will miss out on this chapter of the series, and since Sega has gambled on it by breaking its once-per-year development cycle and increasing its budget, it will probably get far more attention and marketing in the US than previous entries.

We can't even say Fu kuoka? What nonsense is this? For 's sake, the letter C is not even in the name of that city.
    Last edited by Revolver Bobcat; 04-09-2012 at 10:19 AM.

In Japanese video game development, Ryu Ga Gotoku is the Gran Turismo of action RPGs. The production team tours Japan, photographing locations to reproduce in-game, licensing stores and products to use (and pay for development costs), holding casting calls for believable hostess girls to drive fan obsession, selecting Japanese cultural phenomena to be represented by various mini-games, and observing social behaviors to program into thousands of NPCs. It's an exercise is making a fictional universe as accurate, recognizable, and culturally iconic as possible, and that's why Ryu Ga Gotoku is so well-respected by the Japanese public. It's considered a masterpiece of modern Japanese entertainment, a snapshot of what life is like (even if it's comically exaggerated in some areas), and a virtual monument to the times. Shenmue started this with Sega, since it depicted Yokosuka of the 80's during a period when American influences were clashing with Japanese tradition on a socio-economical level.

As proof of Ryu Ga Gotoku's relevance, even amongst people who don't play the games, my Japanese wife absolutely loved the Takashi Miike film and actually enjoyed watching me play 3 & 4 afterward. My wife moved to America because of her dad's business when she was 15, and after 16 years, she still holds firmly to her Japanese pride. We watch TV Japan, listen to j-pop, and are even teaching our daughter Japanese in tandem with English. That being said, she normally doesn't care for video games or anime, but she makes exceptions for two game franchises - Shin Megami Tensei and Ryu Ga Gotoku. That in itself is high praise. Also, filmmaker Takashi Miike is the most highly respected director of culturally-relevant dark comedy since Juzo Itami, kind of an Asian Quentin Tarantino in his own right, and his depiction of Ryu Ga Gotoku was spot-on to the video game source material.

The point is, Ryu Ga Gotoku is a major multimedia franchise that Sega would be completely off their rockers to abandon, and we will continue to see future releases even if Sega of America is close to filing for bankruptcy (they're not). Keep the faith, people. You're not the only ones who love this series.
    Last edited by jpoppawusc; 04-09-2012 at 10:44 AM.

As an avid fan of Ryu ga Gotoku and SEGA myself, I am not worried of a possible miss-out on YAKUZA 5. Trust me when I say, much like jpoppawusc, that the fifth numbered title in the series will make its way to North American and European markets within six months after the Japanese release.

So, you want to make a difference and ensure that all future Yakuza games get localized? You might want to check this out:

http://www.change.org/petitions/sega...uza-in-america

Good teamwork here, jpop.
    Last edited by romeoteknik; 04-14-2012 at 07:58 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast