Thread: Saturn RAM cart

Default Saturn RAM cart

Did a search but cannot find an answer to a specific question.

Does the Saturn RAM cart only work with games that need it or do some games work better with it?

It works with every Sega Saturn game

Thanks for the reply.
    Just to clarify I am referring to the extended RAM cart not the backup cart.
    Some games need a 1MB or 4MB cart to work, do other games use it also?

Do you mean the Japanese only carts? It would only work with import games, not sure if it works with every game

He means the 1MB and 4MB RAM Expansion carts. Not the ones for saving games. They work regardless of Region, and only on games that support them. Some games require them (X-men vs Street Fighter, Metal Slug, Street Fighter Alpha 3, etc.), others benefit from having them but are not required (Marvel Super Heroes, Pocket Fighter, etc.) And the RAM cart support was not removed from US releases either. So US versions of Marvel Super Heroes will support the Japanese 1MB or 4MB RAM cartridge.

However don't get confused with the Ultraman game and King of Fighters 95. Those use Specialized ROM carts that have game specific data on them, so they only work with those games and are required for those games.

I thought that was the case.
    So basically some games are designed to take advantage of the RAM carts, some need a RAM cart and a few games have their own special ROM cart.
    Games not designed to use the RAM cart will not benefit from it.
    Well, that’s just saved me about 35.00! I don’t have any games that are compatible.

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    He means the 1MB and 4MB RAM Expansion carts. Not the ones for saving games. They work regardless of Region, and only on games that support them. Some games require them (X-men vs Street Fighter, Metal Slug, Street Fighter Alpha 3, etc.), others benefit from having them but are not required (Marvel Super Heroes, Pocket Fighter, etc.) And the RAM cart support was not removed from US releases either. So US versions of Marvel Super Heroes will support the Japanese 1MB or 4MB RAM cartridge.

However don't get confused with the Ultraman game and King of Fighters 95. Those use Specialized ROM carts that have game specific data on them, so they only work with those games and are required for those games.
    Popped in my MSH copy just now with the 4mb RAM cart in the slot, the game still seemed to load the same as if it was without it though, am I doin' something wrong?

Yeah, the Saturn RAM cart is really only needed for the games that support it. It's a nice thing to have though in case you do ever plan on importing games that require it.

Quote Originally Posted by viperxmns View Post
    Popped in my MSH copy just now with the 4mb RAM cart in the slot, the game still seemed to load the same as if it was without it though, am I doin' something wrong?
    Did you enable it in options? The load times aren't as dramatically affected though, as it's the first game to use it. It does increase the frames of Animation though.

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    Did you enable it in options? The load times aren't as dramatically affected though, as it's the first game to use it. It does increase the frames of Animation though.
    Hm, have to check options, I'll try that, cool to know it can use it though, I'da never guessed