Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sony doubles forecast of annual loss to $6.4bn

Well define "powerful hardware." Next gen hardware will hopefully be more powerful than this gen's (it's to be expected) but it won't be on the level of next gen PC gaming and graphics wh*res will just have to live with it.

It's premature to say the Vita is dead. Remember how everybody said Nintendo was dead after the Gamecube? All this probably means is that the PS4 won't be out soon, which is fine, because what's the competition? The Wii U? LOL! Seriously though, it's just been out a few months. The PS3 had a rough start too and cost Sony much more than the Vita, and I'm not just saying that because I invested hundreds of dollars into my Vita.
    I'm the coolest!

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowLegend View Post
    Well define "powerful hardware." Next gen hardware will hopefully be more powerful than this gen's (it's to be expected) but it won't be on the level of next gen PC gaming and graphics wh*res will just have to live with it.
    We could easily get something on par with PC's today if the console comes out in 2013. when I say PC's, I'm not talking a PC like hardware_hank has, lol, that's just pure madness, but yeah

XBOX 360 was on par with PC's, no reason why the next generation consoles can't be
    Cat Neko not a Woof

Actually, both the 360 and PS3 launched with graphics hardware effectively one full video card generation behind for PCs. The Xenos chip in the 360 did have one unique thing in that its unified shader technology didn't appear in PC video cards until after the 360 launched, but its overall effective power was still a generation behind. The PS3's RSX architecture was based on the Nvidia 7800 series, launching shortly after Nvidia debuted the 8800.

Looks like a chance for a PS4 is slim now.
    The most hateful member of the SEGA Forums. -___-

Or a "high end" one, anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuronoa View Post
    I couldn't put a finger on it before but I now know what you remind me of; one of those toys where you pull the string and phrases are spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinobi_Returns View Post
    I bought a Vita, I better get some damn games for it or I'll be ed.
    I still want a Vita, sell it to me, haha.

Anyways, PS4 will still happen. I wouldn't jump to any conclusions.
    <a href=http://segabits.com/forums/ target=_blank>http://segabits.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Dynamite.png</a>
    SEN: Pirovash88 Gamertag: Pirovash88 Nintendo Network ID: Pirovash88 Steam: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Quote Originally Posted by ARingcade View Post
    At best, me thinks Sony will give the Playstation brand as a whole one more shot over a few years(assuming they survive) to profit as they once did, after that, Sony will stick to the living room only in the form of OLED TV's and maybe some Blu-Ray players.
    If it were to come to that, I don't think they would abandon the PlayStation brand. I think they would evolve it and turn it into a games service similar to Steam or Origin. That would at least be the best alternative solution given that the brand is still strong and can still be profitable.

Guys, this has nothing to do with just SCE. They have a failing Walkman division, a failing PC division, a failing TV division and it wouldn't surprise me if their music production is going dead as well.

As of now, Sony is basically doomed or they're going to have to downsize half of their industry.
    Years ago, most of Sony's profits came from SCE. They messed that up badly. If they really wanted to take a risk with PS3, they should made sure they had some other means of profit to lay back on.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadiWulf View Post
    Sony didn't loose money on the PS3 because of it's power level, they lost money on it cause bluray and cell weren't standard technologies, and costed a lot to produce and make. PS3 was like 1000 to 900 dollars per unit cost when it first came out.

PS4 can easily be powerful and still make Sony money. and judging by Vita, they don't want to use specialized technology anymore, like they did in the past. I think that was mainly Kutaragi's doing, though.
    But next gen technology will cost a lot and SOny has always started a new gaming generation losing money on a console. Remember when Sega announced the $400 price for Sega Saturn and Sony instantly countered it by announcing PlayStation for $300? They didn't want to do that. They had to. The difference is back then, they weren't in major financial trouble. They can't do business like that anymore. So when the next PlayStation console comes along and most gamers will only be willing to pay a MAXIMUM of $400, will Sony deliver something that's powerful, yet at the same time profitable, or at least something that will break even?

Quote Originally Posted by MrFranklin View Post
    Yeah exactly Bluray was new then, locked into a war with HDDVD and a lot more expensive to mass produce. Sony being heavily invested in it, wanted Bluray to succeed so they helped to push it with the PS3. Bigger picture.
    Blu Ray, while not a failure by any means wasn't worth that risk. It's a next gen movie format, but the adoption rate compared to DVD is much slower and outside of movies and gaming, the discs aren't really being used for anything. Computers haven't adopted the format. Unfortunately for Sony, Apple (a BDA member) has pretty much determined the future of digital media will be one without discs. They've already began making computers without disc drives as opposed to supporting the Blu Ray format and Apple was one of the biggest supporters Blu Ray had. Blu Ray is one o those formats that was stuck in limbo because it came out too late to be a true standard format, yet it couldn't have come out earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Classic Fan View Post
    It's premature to say the Vita is dead. Remember how everybody said Nintendo was dead after the Gamecube? All this probably means is that the PS4 won't be out soon, which is fine, because what's the competition? The Wii U? LOL! Seriously though, it's just been out a few months. The PS3 had a rough start too and cost Sony much more than the Vita, and I'm not just saying that because I invested hundreds of dollars into my Vita.
    The major difference between Nintendo and Sony is that Nintendo was not in major financial trouble. Despite how badly GameCube performed, Nintendo still made a lot of money from it and still managed to sell a lot of software. It was their brand that was in trouble more than anything. Sony is facing problems similar to what Sega was facing. Fortunately, Sony is not where Sega was, but if they are unable to turn things around, they very well could be in the next 2 years or so.

It should also be mentioned that Sony themselves have already said that they want PS4 out before the next Xbox. Competition itself may not be Sony's undoing, but their determination to push the industry into the next generation may be. In fact, that's exactly what happened with PS3. Sony did not want to release it yet. They wanted to enjoy the profits PS2 was making, but they were forced into releasing PS3 when they did.

THe PlayStation brand is fine but Sony really needs to do something with there other divisions.
    I like this energy, so its ok with me," he said. "If I had to choose money or energy, I would choose energy. Nishigaki was never one to dwell on sales figures and once commented, If one person likes Illbleed, then to me, its a success.
    -Shinya Nishigaki (1962-2004)

And this is why Sony releasing a really powerful console they would lose money on is stupid.

It's true, Microsoft was losing less money (with a less powerful and less featured console, btw), but it was still $125 a console, and these where consoles with very poor build quality, and they STILL lost billions, and didn't recuperate those loses until last year.

Microsoft may be in a position to do that, but a company that is hemoraging money most certainly isn't.

Guys, this has nothing to do with just SCE. They have a failing Walkman division, a failing PC division, a failing TV division and it wouldn't surprise me if their music production is going dead as well.

As of now, Sony is basically doomed or they're going to have to downsize half of their industry.

Sony isn't "doomed". They've got well over $150 billion in assets. That being said, this stuff is building up. They got also got a credit downgrade late last year, which will make it more difficult and expensive for them to borrow money.

What Sony needs to do is basically what their doing. Cut off the rotting flesh and focus on saving what's still good or is absolutely vital. Having a presence in the video game industry and the living room is one of those things they really need, but it's also something they simply can't afford to hemorage money on. Losing billions from selling a console at a loss isn't necessary, as the Wii's success has proven. They don't need to, and shouldn't, release a console that focuses on bringing in the hardcore and the graphics lovers, but rather something that can exist as a true center piece for the living room. A true mass market device that can bring in money and the regular consumer, in addition to the hardcore gamer. Which is why I've been advocating a moderately more powerful device, rather then something with a $500 GPU.
    Last edited by Nuckles87; 04-10-2012 at 10:03 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast