Thread: Gamestop loses Used games case - Gives away $15 for used games that contain Free DLC

Default Gamestop loses Used games case - Gives away $15 for used games that contain Free DLC

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=175312
    SAN FRANCISCO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Yesterday, in the United States District Court for the Northern District of California, Senior District Judge Thelton E. Henderson entered an order preliminarily approving a class action settlement Baron and Budd reached with GameStop Corporation, the world’s largest video game retailer. The settlement concerns used video games sold by GameStop to consumers who are unable to access certain downloadable content and online features (DLC) unless they pay an additional $15, even though the packaging of the video games claims that the DLC is available for free with the purchase of the game.

Under the settlement, GameStop must, for the next two years, post signs on the shelves where used games are sold in California stores, and online, warning consumers that certain downloadable content may require an additional purchase.

Additionally, as part of the settlement, consumers will have the opportunity to recover the additional $15 they would have been required to pay to access the downloadable content. Consumers who purchased qualifying used games and who are enrolled in GameStop’s “PowerUp Rewards” customer loyalty program can receive a $10 check and a $5 coupon. Consumers who purchased a qualifying game, but are not members of GameStop’s loyalty program, can receive a $5 check and a $10 coupon.
    So..
    >buy used game
    >Get $15 from Gamestop
    >use it to get DLC
    >SAVE $$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!
    ???
    only in california

noooooooooo
    A majority of this forum is just College-aged adults annoying little kids on the Nintendo forum.

Banned

this is only for games purchased before the judgement

also california is great. ohio doesnt have beaches. i was born in cincinnati but i couldnt stay there cuz florida and california is better cuz sunshine, palm trees, sand, and beaches.

Lol.

You know you're poor when you buy used games and then have to sue a company because you're to poor to pay 10$ (not 15$) to buy an online pass. The poor loser should have lost the case. Why should he expect to get everything promised to NEW copies. He bought it used, you don't get what new buyers get.

Banned

does not compute "too poor to buy games new so you sue" does not compute

filing a lawsuit costs more money than games.

Quote Originally Posted by xXTimelessXx View Post
    does not compute "too poor to buy games new so you sue" does not compute

filing a lawsuit costs more money than games.
    And you gain more money if you win. So... derp?

Banned

they didnt win a bunch of money. they got $15 for filing a lawsuit that probably cost exponentially more than that.

idk yo i just nvr heard of a judgement for $15 being worth court costs and lawyer fees but maybe some people just like "winning" and would pay all the dimes in the world just for that feelin of victory.

I could understand if the packaging doesn't make it clear that the DLC is first-come first-serve. It's not Gamestop's fault the box doesn't specify, but I guess it is their choice to sell usedgames in spite of whwt companies want.
    I'm the coolest!

Ah screw it, let the industry destroy itself.
    Last edited by The Rug; 04-11-2012 at 06:48 AM.

Super Skull Adventures

I'm not sure why Gamestop's at fault here...the publishers should be the ones making it clear on the box that you must buy the game new to access its online content without paying an additional fee.

I'm not too sympathetic either way, though...people who buy used games for $55 are just screwing developers/publishers out of their money and I definitely am in support of Online Passes to combat this.