Thread: Sooo, Alien Hominid.

In a house that's in a city that's in a state that's in a country that's in a continent somewheres.

Default Sooo, Alien Hominid.

I picked up the GCN version at my local Gamestop for 5 bucks today. I'm just gonna start by saying that I love just about everything about it. The frantic run 'n' gun gameplay first off, the unique moveset, the humor, the minigames, the punishing difficulty tempered by the liberal distribution of lives, everything about it is great.

There is one exception, however; the animation. This game was created by people from Newgrounds back in 2003, and it shows. It probably looked cool and slick back in the day, but this is the only example I can think of of a game with 2D graphics looking dated. The 30fps framerate doesn't help either. Some of you people say Rayman Origins looks like a cheap Newgrounds Flash game? Naw. This looks like a cheap Newgrounds Flash game (Probably because it is, lol). Nonetheless, I can appreciate what they were going for with the art style, and the explosions are neat, at least.

Y'know, it's weird. Before buying this, I watched YouTube videos and even played the original Flash version and thought it looked impressive. Don't get me wrong, I really like this game, and I definitely think it was 5 bucks well spent. It just kinda underwhelmed me in that one specific area is all.
    Last edited by CHAnga; 04-13-2012 at 12:02 AM.

The flash version was pretty great, it just got extremely hard. What are the main differences between the console and flash versions?

In a house that's in a city that's in a state that's in a country that's in a continent somewheres.

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    The flash version was pretty great, it just got extremely hard. What are the main differences between the console and flash versions?
    I find the console version to be a lot easier, in that I can actually complete the first level.

But seriously, it's pretty much a complete and total revamp of the Flash game. The animations, music and level designs are different, you can get power-ups for your gun that also grant you a single-use shield, the Hominid has new moves such as being able to dodge with the shoulder buttons, charge his gun for a super shot and burrow to avoid normally unavoidable attacks as well as drag enemies underground, there's a co-op mode, you can use grenades, and while I think the original game was just two levels and a boss or something (I wouldn't know; Like I said, I haven't been able to complete the first level), the console version is a full-blown game with several different zones and several different levels per zone, each with its set of minibosses and a main boss. It even has a fun little PDA style platforming minigame with over 200 levels and a level editor (The editor is cut from the XBLA release).

One other thing I could note is that there seem to be three types of attacks. The most common type are the attacks that deplete your shield/kill you if you don't have a shield, but there are also attacks that merely stun you as well as powerful attacks from bigger things that kill you in one hit whether you have a shield or not.

Finally, this game was into hats long before TF2.
    Last edited by CHAnga; 04-13-2012 at 05:48 AM.

A Brit with a slight TVTropes addiction who does Youtube Videos (YMMV on their quality).

Quote Originally Posted by CHAnga View Post
    Finally, this game was into hats long before TF2.
    A game that was into hats before TF2?

(JK)
    Likely the only person on the whole forum to have their face as their avatar.