Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How will the lock on technology actually work for Sonic 4?

On the bright side however, we could leave it to hackers to find (us) a way of playing as Metal Sonic through both Episode 1 and Episode 2 (or as much as it can be played without co-op moves).
    http://forums.sega.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=117267&dateline=13371  96921

It depends how it works. If the game simply verifies Ep1 files' existance and you get access to download an individual file, it is DLC. If it's content inside Ep2 that uses files from Ep1 then it could be considered lock-on. If it's content inside Ep2 but uses Ep1 as an unlocker (all the content is inside Ep2, there's no interaction between Ep2 and Ep1 data outside the fact it verifies Ep1's existance) then it's simply bonus content.

At least that's how I see it.

Technically, though, locking-on would imply the original technology so yadahyadah it's not using the original chip technology and stuff. If the files actually do combine, it'd be a "modern" type of lock-on, though I believe it's fair to say it isn't at the same time.

Still a name is only a name, and they use "lock on" since they know we feel identified right away by it, regardless of how it works.
    Last edited by Kevassa; 04-14-2012 at 10:45 PM.

*shihe* you are a legend for correctly predicting/wanting this!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevassa View Post
    It depends how it works. If the game simply verifies Ep1 files' existance and you get access to download an individual file, it is DLC. If it's content inside Ep2 that uses files from Ep1 then it could be considered lock-on. If it's content inside Ep2 but uses Ep1 as an unlocker (all the content is inside Ep2, there's no interaction between Ep2 and Ep1 data outside the fact it verifies Ep1's existance) then it's simply bonus content.

At least that's how I see it.

Technically, though, locking-on would imply the original technology so yadahyadah it's not using the original chip technology and stuff. If the files actually do combine, it'd be a "modern" type of lock-on, though I believe it's fair to say it isn't at the same time.

Still a name is only a name, and they use "lock on" since they know we feel identified right away by it, regardless of how it works.
    The ''lock-on'' then is the same ''lock-on'' now kinda. ''Lock-on'' is just a marketing gimmick. Even back then Sonic & Knuckles was effectively simply a patch for Sonic 3.

Proud Member of XBOX Police Force

Quote Originally Posted by MrFranklin View Post
    The ''lock-on'' then is the same ''lock-on'' now kinda. ''Lock-on'' is just a marketing gimmick. Even back then Sonic & Knuckles was effectively simply a patch for Sonic 3.
    Thing is, the way Sonic & Knuckles cartdridge data combined with the data of any cartdridge on top of it, the lock-on, is pretty unique in many ways compared to conventional patching.
    I think it's a neat little term they coined for Sonic 4, and it specially works for Sonic fans since they'll know exactly what they'll get. Yet, I can see some (oh god heated) arguments popping up about if it is really "lock-on" and said arguments have some validity due to what I stated above; it simply isn't the same technology.

But oh well, it's the internet. We can't prevent a flame war with a watering can.
    Last edited by Kevassa; 04-15-2012 at 10:12 PM.

You will buy both games and download another one based on ep.1 with metal as protagonist.

C'mon, that's not hard to understand...

@DaviViana Dude obviously i know that lol but if u read my first post, youll get a better idea on what im asking.. im saying will the episodes emerge into one file, will the Sonic model for episode 2 replace the one from episode 1? Will the physics from episode 2 fix the ones in episode 1 and will we play as Sonic and Tails in episode 1.. get my drift? Lol these are things ive been wondering since i heard about episode metal being a lock on bonus and i still havent gotten any official answers

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123