Thread: Is Sonic Riders good?

Default Is Sonic Riders good?

I haven't played one besides Free Riders. It seems to be pretty hated, but then again, it's the people and reviewers who go: "Sonic would never ride a board! This is why SEGA needs to go back to the originals like Sonic 3 & Knuckles, specifically Ice Cap Zone! Sonic wouldn't ride a board!" so I'm not sure if I should take them too seriously. Sega's pretty good at racing games, so it seems like it would be good. I plan to buy it eventually, but I always forget when I'm at Gamestop.
    I'm the coolest!

zero gravity got horrid reviews but everyone here seemed to enjoy it. Not sure if I should get it...

Trying to be as least biased as possible, I think the first two games were average racers with some interesting ideas. But they're very difficult to pick up and play, so reviewers see it as bad controls. It's not really the case, it just fails as any sort of party game, since it takes time to get use to. And even then I think it's controls are far from perfect and I personally can't take anything in it too seriously. Sonic being on a board is the least of it's problems, despite popular belief.

I think if they make another there needs to be a considerable overhaul with the controls and how you learn them. But give their track record I'd rather them not.
    Last edited by ThoughtsinChaos; 04-14-2012 at 09:46 PM.

Riders 1 is...okay.
    Zero Grav's considerably more innovative, though. Just stay away from the Wiimote.

Quote Originally Posted by Twylis View Post
    Riders 1 is...okay.
    Zero Grav's considerably more innovative, though. Just stay away from the Wiimote.
    Is the wiimote controls that bad? I'm planing on getting the wii version.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSpeedsFan92 View Post
    Not bad if you're fine with Motion Controls (some people don't even like the wheel in Mario Kart, I think it's fun).

Monsters University - Complaining incessantly

Quote Originally Posted by Twylis View Post
    Riders 1 is...okay.
    Or hold it sideways and use the d pad.

Anyway, no one can really tell if you're gonna like them. Neither are games you can really jump into, but they're not broken or anything.

Sideways d pad!
    Quote Originally Posted by CJMoore25 View Post
    Make the moron go away, Mommy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. BaconStein View Post
    I like how damsels in distress are now a Mario innovation, too. Watch out Brothers Grimm, you're plagiarizing on work from centuries ahead!

You can play with it sideways as Hayley said, and it's also compatible with the Gamecube controller (. .)

Riders 1 is really good, ZG is okay but doesn't feel much like a racing game, and Free Riders is good if you can get past the controls.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaquaza View Post
    I'd rather have a video game console that can't play DVDs than one that can't play video games consoles. Amazingly, I've just predicted why people won't like the next Xbox.

Quote Originally Posted by ThoughtsinChaos View Post
    Trying to be as least biased as possible, I think the first two games were average racers with some interesting ideas. But they're very difficult to pick up and play, so reviewers see it as bad controls. It's not really the case, it just fails as any sort of party game, since it takes time to get use to.
    Pretty much this. Personally I think that a spin-off title, while implementing new ideas or mechanics to be it's own thing, should also consider having accesible controls because it helps to give a good and enjoyable impression the first time you play it, even for non-Sonic fans.