Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Apple planning to take out Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft with Valve Console - Rumor

I have to say that mixing something as open as steam with something as closed as an apple product seems like a horrible idea.

Quote Originally Posted by hologrand View Post
    I have to say that mixing something as open as steam with something as closed as an apple product seems like a horrible idea.
    Is Steam more open than Apple? Can anybody add a game or app to the Steam store?
    I'm the coolest!

Quote Originally Posted by Classic Fan View Post
    Is Steam more open than Apple? Can anybody add a game or app to the Steam store?
    http://www.steampowered.com/steamworks/FAQ.php

Quote Originally Posted by Steam
    1. Does Steam only accept games from major publishers, or will you take a game from an indie developer?
    Your game doesn't have to come from a big name studio, as long as it's fun we'd love to see it.

2. What do you look for when accepting games for Steam?
    If your game has been previously released we consider such things as year of release, reviews and review scores, previous sales, and awards. For new games we look for unique and interesting gameplay and art, and of course it should be fun!

3. Who sets the price for my game on Steam?
    Pricing is very title specific, and we've got a lot of data and experience to help you decide on what the best price is for your title. We'll work with you to figure out pricing.

8. Do you require exclusivity for titles you sell on Steam?
    We think you should get your game in front of as many people as you can, therefore we do not require exclusivity on titles.

9. What are my marketing options on Steam?
    We do not sell any of our marketing on Steam. We will work with you to determine the best marketing plan for your title.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steam Submission
    1. I've got a game I want on Steam. What should be my first step?
    The first step is to send us a demo or full build of your game. There's a bunch of information we like to see along with your game, so please see our submission form for details on what exactly you should submit.

2. How far along should my game be before I send it to you for review?
    Your game should be far enough along to show us what the final art and gameplay will feel like. We're happy to take a look at games once they reach the beta stage. Having a few bugs here and there won't impact our decision, but your game should be close to final.

3. What if I don't have a playable game yet?
    We always take a look at a game before we decide whether or not to sell it on Steam, so please wait and contact us when your game is further along.
    All Available for $0.00 and is flexible with Development for OSX and Windows
    Used by 30 million gamers.
    Available to you for free.
    You’re already creating a great game. When it’s released, players will expect it to be supported by a robust set of community and networking features. Using Steamworks will ensure that players can find each other, talk to each other, and join games together. They’ll also be able to get access to your game from any Mac or PC, and they'll be protected from cheaters.
    Apple? Only OSX dev environment allowed, if you want to sell software, app or game on iOS devices or Macs, to have permission to distribute it, you must cough up $99/year. All of this not even taking into consideration the other bevy of restrictions in terms of content that you have to go through having to deal with aesthetics and even the level of code or the libraries you reference to build your app.
    Last edited by ARingcade; 04-16-2012 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ARingcade View Post
    http://www.steampowered.com/steamworks/FAQ.php All Available for $0.00 and is flexible with Development for OSX and Windows Apple? Only OSX dev environment allowed, if you want to sell software, app or game on iOS devices or Macs, to have permission to distribute it, you must cough up $99/year. All of this not even taking into consideration the other bevy of restrictions in terms of content that you have to go through having to deal with aesthetics and even the level of code or the libraries you reference to build your app.
    Sounds like they vet the games people submit and may even play a role in prices. If it were truly open, all they'd care about is that my game isn't malware or someone else's game. Why does it matter what awards and stuff it got? How is that open?
    I'm the coolest!

Since it's evidently clear by your response that you do not have any idea what you are talking about and you did not read anything, I shall help you.

Why does it matter what awards and stuff it got? How is that open?
    Quote Originally Posted by steam
    If your game has been previously released we consider such things as year of release, reviews and review scores, previous sales, and awards. For new games we look for unique and interesting gameplay and art, and of course it should be fun!

Sounds like they vet the games people submit and may even play a role in prices. If it were truly open, all they'd care about is that my game isn't malware or someone else's game.
    1. Just because you think your FPS can take on MW3 and deserves a $40 price tag doesn't mean everyone else will. Times is money
    Quote Originally Posted by steam
    Pricing is very title specific, and we've got a lot of data and experience to help you decide on what the best price is for your title. We'll work with you to figure out pricing.
    Cooperation=/= Steam strictly setting prices

http://www.giantbomb.com/steam/92-718/
    Quote Originally Posted by Giantbomb
    Steam is a popular marketplace for large publishers, allowing them to sell their new and old games alike. Steam also allows independent game developers to showcase their games to a wider audience, focusing more on the quality or originality of the game rather than the production level in terms of marketing, so it often advertises debut indie titles such as Altitude and World of Goo next to high profile games such as Fallout 3 or Grand Theft Auto IV on its front page. Dylan Fitterer, the creator of Audiosurf went so far as to say that Steam is "the dream place to be" for independent game developers.
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...ed-our-company
    Quote Originally Posted by GI
    "The Valve sale - it was just phenomenal," Morris explained. "A couple of statistics that I'm sure Valve won't mind me sharing: We've now sold more than $2.5 million through Steam, which is pretty good for Introversion, through life. Not all of that comes back to us, because sometimes it's been in bundle packs, and we've gotten less. But basically it equates to almost bang on 1 million, so we're really pleased.

"The sale did in the ball park of $250,000 - so when you're back to being a team of four people, that's a lot of revenue."

By comparison he revealed that a promotion for Darwinia+ on XBLA, where the game was Deal of the Week for "about six weeks" at a cut price of 800 points had little impact.
    And Lastly, Open System=/= No quality control. That is an asanine statement only fools make. Not Even Linux distros allow every single line of code submitted to be published. Because of that OSS has some of the most refined, cleaned code amongst software.

Since it's evidently clear by your response that you do not have any idea what you are talking about and you did not read anything, I shall help you.
    You want to be a jerk about it? Fine. Let's rumble.

1. Just because you think your FPS can take on MW3 and deserves a $40 price tag doesn't mean everyone else will. Times is money
    Interesting. On the App Store, if you want to sell your FPS for $40 you can. It's suicide, sure, but it's YOUR CHOICE. I guess having that choice is DRACONIAN of Apple, eh?

Cooperation=/= Steam strictly setting prices
    Yet, when Apple "cooperates" with developers, it's DRACONIAN, eh?

And Lastly, Open System=/= No quality control. That is an asanine statement only fools make. Not Even Linux distros allow every single line of code submitted to be published. Because of that OSS has some of the most refined, cleaned code amongst software.
    Yet, when Apple does its own quality control, it's EVIL! But when Valve or anybody else does it, it's "OH YEAH! AWESOME BABY!"

I like how you bring up Linux distros as a red herring. Totally different thing there. A better example would be Source Forge.

Maybe you're right though. Maybe there is more freedom in Valve deciding the prices. Maybe there is more freedom in Valve deciding: "Your game isn't good enough for our store." That Apple allows developers to set their own prices and release what they want even if the big wigs at Valve don't like it is pretty draconian of them.

I love how consistent the anti-Apple crowd is.

The only part more open on Valve is that it doesn't cost you $99 and you don't need to use a Mac, but seriously, if $99 and $500 for a Mac is really too much of an investment, maybe you should consider a vocation you'll take more seriously.
    I'm the coolest!

Apple=Evil........They havn't never my money.....

Quote Originally Posted by Lumines View Post
    Apple is the hipster bandwagon of people who want locked down products with proprietary everything and being told what to do with it.
    The 360, PS3 and the current PC crowd aren't really that different.

360 games are locked down to the 360, PS3 games are locked down to the PS3, and PC games are locked down to Steam.
    Signatures sucks, especially signature images. Which is why I have them off, so I never see the blasted things.

Quote Originally Posted by Freddo View Post
    PC games are locked down to Steam.
    Umm...not true?

Quote Originally Posted by Freddo View Post
    The 360, PS3 and the current PC crowd aren't really that different.

360 games are locked down to the 360, PS3 games are locked down to the PS3, and PC games are locked down to Steam.
    Doesn't PS3 let you share with multiple gamertags? I have switched computers with Steam, and I can still play the games I've bought a few years ago. The Xbox 360 does lock games to a console, but you can always lock it to a new console every few months.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast