Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is the point of Windows CE on the Dreamcast?

Banned

no problem guys.

NetBSD >> http://netbsd.student.utwente.nl/rpaulo/

Adam, hope you make a review of those for the magazine

EDIT: Get the Nero image from the different packs and burn with either Nero 5.5.x or Alcohol 120%.

Forgot to add too--this for bluepunk. In Xbox's case, the Win2K Kernel is built-in. It's not the same case as DC. You can do wacky stuff with a Xbox though it's not recommended. Pratical examples include replacing that kernel with a Linux one, resulting in a Linux box which runs no game ^^.

Windows CE really is just a library. It's generally incomplete for developers to do with what they want, not a whole finished OS. It's an OS in the basic-most sense of the term. It's tiny, small, and flexible. Something for software to run on top of. It isn't "Windows" in the same way "Windows XP" is "Windows". You can tell which DC games use it because when they boot up, you see the WinCE logo. The only annoying aspect of this is CE driven games on the DC didn't have quite as flexible access to the hardware as the ones that used Sega's own software. Oh well, I still enjoyed a good deal of the PC and PS1 ports.

Banned

Could someone tell me how to put Linux on my Dreamcast, please?

http://www.linuxdevices.com/articles/AT7466555948.html

This is a 5 page article on building your own LinuxDC disc, using Linux to make it all. I strongly recommend finding a pre-built ISO from somewhere instead (wouldn't know where, but they are out there).

Keep in mind, LinuxDC last I checked needed a VGA adaptor (i.e. no TV mode), and a keyboard. Also remember, Linux on the desktop is VERY different from using it as an embedded device OS. Windows CE (i.e. the libraries and kernal) is an OS the same way embedded Linux is. You may be able to use this for basic command line things, but don't expect an elaborate GUI, or other such functions. I liken it to what you get when you unlock the Linux on a Linksys Router.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Saoshyant
    NetBSD >> http://netbsd.student.utwente.nl/rpaulo/

Adam, hope you make a review of those for the magazine

EDIT: Get the Nero image from the different packs and burn with either Nero 5.5.x or Alcohol 120%.

Forgot to add too--this for bluepunk. In Xbox's case, the Win2K Kernel is built-in. It's not the same case as DC. You can do wacky stuff with a Xbox though it's not recommended. Pratical examples include replacing that kernel with a Linux one, resulting in a Linux box which runs no game ^^.

Yay Die microsoft long live Licrosoft die Xbox long live Lbox die Xbox discs long live Lbox discs!!

Banned

i like my xbox :hugs:

Default Windows boot

Quote Originally Posted by hOAx View Post
    I really dont get it i want to know what the Windows does and i also want to know can u run any softwares built for CE on the dreamcast???
    According to Ed Fries of Xbox fame says that you actually can boot into Windows with a Dreamcast.

Quote Originally Posted by Xlowgunx View Post
    According to Ed Fries of Xbox fame says that you actually can boot into Windows with a Dreamcast.
    1. Did you really have to bump a topic from 12 years ago?
    2. Not entirely correct. You could do development using an SDK either provided by Sega or one based on Windows CE. So in theory, yes, you could boot into a pseudo-Windows CE environment but that was on the developer's end--the console itself is compatible; the software, to include the "operating system" was contained on the game. The console basically could play nice with stuff developed in Windows CE, but not necessarily "boot into" an environment of some kind unless you wrote an operating system/desktop environment to a disc and booted that.

tl;dr no there isn't a secret windows ce "desktop" you can magically boot into on a dreamcast
    like, seriously

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12