Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sumo: You can make this game better than Mario Kart.

I agree on most points, but how was the Spiny Shell nerfed in MK7? It skids along the ground, potentially taking out more than first place which was how it originally worked.
    My Fan-Fic, Inferno the Hedgehog: http://forums.sega.com/showthread.ph...ferno+Hedgehog

It's EARTH, not MOBIUS, that's in the games..... and this time, I have proof.

To me, Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing seems to be better than Mario Kart. But I bet it will be even better when the sequel is released.
    Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing has brought up the great overall. And now, the sequel to such an incredible sega racing competition will soon commence...

Quote Originally Posted by Shego13 View Post
    To me, Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing seems to be better than Mario Kart. But I bet it will be even better when the sequel is released.
    Unfortunately, good =/= popular. SEGA could create as many games as Mario Kart but still always lose out simply because people like Mario better.
    My Fan-Fic, Inferno the Hedgehog: http://forums.sega.com/showthread.ph...ferno+Hedgehog

It's EARTH, not MOBIUS, that's in the games..... and this time, I have proof.

But it's already better than Mario Kart.

It's been better.

Quote Originally Posted by SumoSpartan View Post
    I mentioned it before in the weapons thread (or a weapons thread...there's been a few of them), and S0L has mentioned it in an interview: no we don't have a 'blue shell' type weapon in the game.

We do have a weapon that specifically attacks the 1st place player and provides whats called a 'skill check' against them - but it can be avoided/blocked/mitigated by several means - all of which require some skill. (and no, that doesn't mean pro players will 100% avoid it every time, its much more situational)

You have to remember that in every racing game, aside from weapons coming from behind, the 1st place player is virtually unchallenged by other players. Whereas if you're in a pack of players from say 3rd-7th, there's a lot of interaction between those players. So, you need something to keep the 1st place player just as challenged and tested as if they were in a pack too.

We'd never go as far as to do a 'blue shell', thats not our style and we don't think its particularly fair on players who make the right choices to get to 1st place - but we do want to make sure it's not a case of 'whoever gets in 1st place first will win' and they they're challenged just as much as everyone else in the event.

I'm sure you guys will see more of what we mean when we reveal the weapons, but trust me: no blue shell means no blue shell
    I love this logic, seriously.

It's one thing to challenge top players, it's another one to punish them. I love how so far everything sounds like no player is ever punished hard for either mistakes, or worse, making the right choices.

The Blue Shell could potentially cause you to fall behind half the pack (depending on the match). Getting squashed by a kart in ASR was the power-equivalent to this, but that was a lot more situational.

Before reading this I had the idea that the perfect rubber-banding would be for all players behind the 1st one to be able to catch up quickly. But now I totally agree that the 1st driver should continue to be challenged.
    http://forums.sega.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=117267&dateline=13371  96921

I will see how this turns out - everyone is preaching about not punishing good players... the issue is more that these "good" players in my experience always used the same two characters. Is it really a case that they are good over the fact the roster was unbalanced in the favour of the few over the many... getting away from the pack at the offset leaving them to destroy themselves whilst you dissapeared like a fart in the wind became the one and only tactic to winning after people took to grips with the game.

Better balance in character roster, bester distribution with who gets what items and where as well as actually adding more functionality to All Star moves and in my opinion this game could be perfect. Maybe the three vehicle mode element of the races will balance the roster by itself but we need to try and get away from allowing the first to scoot off getting off scott free from the likes of All Star moves which generally were found in the possesion of the tailing racers which ended up taking out most of the cogested middle pack leaving everyone else get an ever better distance advantage that they had before.
    http://74.107.124.109/photoshop/Tenora.png

^ I wish

Quote Originally Posted by Vatek View Post
    Unfortunately, good =/= popular. SEGA could create as many games as Mario Kart but still always lose out simply because people like Mario better.
    I see.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyBlueDude View Post
    But it's already better than Mario Kart.

It's been better.
    Really? Thank you for the vote of confidence.
    Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing has brought up the great overall. And now, the sequel to such an incredible sega racing competition will soon commence...

Senior Member SonicTheHedgehog7's Avatar

I thought the first one was better then Mario Kart, I know this one will be 10X's better!

Quote Originally Posted by SonicTheHedgehog7 View Post
    I thought the first one was better then Mario Kart, I know this one will be 10X's better!
    Definitely. Especially the epic sega characters, and it has adventure mode where you can save them to unlock them and do the missions.

Loving the challenging idea. Having some All Star moves that attacks the 1st racer would be nice too

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast