Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The controls...they're killin' me. PATCH, please!

Default The controls...they're killin' me. PATCH, please!

This game controls nothing like the Saturn or even PS2 version did. I've read the tester's explanation behind it but with the controls being so important in this game, not having them accurate makes this such a frustrating version to play.

Sega, please patch this. Everything else about the port is fantastic. I love NiGHTS in HD. But the controls are janky. NiGHTS feel neither graceful or whimsical anymore. He controls like a brick. This game was built for analog control, so please patch it to have analog control again.

Yep, they're not right. I've had no problem finishing the game and getting a few decent scores, but it is a shame there's no proper analog control in a game that came with its very own analog pad back in 1996. Climbing, diving, looping to create huge links is not as smooth and enjoyable anymore. It's all 45 degree angles.

I thought it was 8-way at first, but it seems to stick at UDLR until you turn away ~45 degrees. Once you're unstuck there's some freedom flying at diagonals. An update would be very welcome.

Like at NiDcom forum, I'd be all for this, I do wonder if it could be accomplished by a user-controlled sensitivity option in-game.

In a house that's in a city that's in a state that's in a country that's in a continent somewheres.

Someone on the NiD forums brought up the fact that the Saturn 3D gamepad had a switch that let you switch between D-pad and analogue controls, and pointed out that the HD version may accidentally have the digital option as the default. However, is this even a possibility, seeing as how it was ported over from the PS2 version, which was completely built from the ground up separately from the Saturn version?

It is a port of the PS2 game so this seems unlikely to be a 3D pad mix-up.

I can't think of many/any other PS2 ports where analog control was lost in translation.
    Last edited by danwarb; 10-10-2012 at 09:43 AM.

Fixing this is the LEAST SEGA could do, considering they already made competition on this game so much harder than it should be.

The local hiscore table is useless on Xbox 360 as all my friends have their own memory cards and thus their own hiscore tables. So upon finishing a level I am presented with a screen that ONLY tells me how well "I" have done.

Who thought it was practical to have to exit back to the main menu JUST to check the leaderboards? Its just a really shoddy port IMO and I had hoped for so much more.

Who thought it was practical to have to exit back to the main menu JUST to check the leaderboards?
    >__> you might want to press the start button mid level and then select Leaderboards dude.

We should really be more constructive with our criticism. It's not necessary to throw around inflammatory remarks if you want someone to fix something.

That being said, the controls should definitely be addressed. It seems the D-pad controls have been mapped to the analog stick. I know the original game had two control modes if you had the 3D control pad; one for the D-pad, and the other for analog controls. I reckon the D-pad mode became the default mode in the conversion to HD and that's why NiGHTS has this eight-way control. I wonder if it would be possible to make the select button toggle between D-pad and analog controls as you could on the Saturn's 3D control pad.
    Last edited by Duplex; 10-10-2012 at 02:01 PM.

Agreed on the constructive criticism. Here are the links to Sega's support:

America: https://segaofamerica.zendesk.com/home
    Europe/other: https://support.sega.co.uk/home

It can't hurt asking them to improve the controls as long as you stay constructive and acknowledge the effort that Sega (and nid15.com) made to bring the game back.

its a good job i checked this forum before buying the game. poor controls are unforgivable especially with a game like this which requires fluidity and sensitivity.

i will delay my purchase until this is fixed.

is this an issue also for the original saturn mode, or just the ps2 version?
    thanks
    Yakuza 5 and Ishin! for western release. Join the campaign http://yakuzafan.com/

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast