Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yakuza (real-world)

Quote Originally Posted by cageyJG View Post
    I finally made it. Who are all the other Kamurocho survivors around here?
    I didn't originally plan to go there last night, but what the heck. Kind of just bumped into the gate to "Tenkaichi St." It was just like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osHwNAfc3vM
    Snapped a few photos, but to take too many at nighttime would have been kind of unsettling, "We're not in Kansas anymore." The one thing that really ed me off was the Nigerian/Ghanaian tout that followed me damn near a whole block. WTF. Everyone else left me alone. Too bad I didn't have my sewer cover opener, I would have liked to throw him down one.
    Overall though, was just pretty blown away sightseeing, being there at night was something else. Bring a GPS or compass.
    Haha! That's one of the things that's stopping me from visiting Japan/Kabukicho. You may aswell hold a giant sign above your head saying "I'M A FOREIGN TOURIST". Of course, there's the Xenophobia too.
    PSN: koolkid201

I don't like the yakuza.. Finger chopping traditions scare me..

However, the yakuza will exist as long as humanity exist..

It is most wise to avoid the yakuza.. They are nothing but trouble..

Quote Originally Posted by izanagi_the_creator View Post
    They are nothing but trouble..
    I'd say they are only 99% trouble. The larger Yakuza groups were among the first in Japan to give food, shelter, and general aid to the 2011 earthquake victims.

Quote Originally Posted by izanagi_the_creator View Post
    I don't like the yakuza.. Finger chopping traditions scare me..

However, the yakuza will exist as long as humanity exist..

It is most wise to avoid the yakuza.. They are nothing but trouble..

Yubitsume (finger chopping) is hardly anything to fear, since it couldn't affect you as an outsider less.

Of course it's always wise to avoid criminals, but I'd feel safer around them than any other organized crime groups and especially UNorganized ones.
    (By "around them" I mean walking the streets and minding my own business)

I am assuming there is little difference between the triads and the yakuza aside from the fact that the HK government hires triads to beat up people and also set arson among other types of threat.. China also hires mobsters to do all sorts of dirty work.. Land sharks are usually triads.. I doubt the yakuza in Japan do dirty work for the government though.. In HK, the news on Youtube always bring up the issue of the triads.. Whether it be friendly events or simple hostility.. You can just google it in Youtube.. As for the yakuza, they did some serious nuclear life-risking a long time ago and this time around, they also helped in the March 2011 earthquake..

Splinter group Kobe Yamaguchi-gumi clan moving on up.

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20160225_19/

Clans aren't battling for expansion; they're vying for survival, according to the report.

NHK world news is pretty cool.

"Man with pompadour: You think just because of the anti-gang laws we can't beat up an ordinary citizen?!?!"

- Every Anime with yakuza in it

I was wondering if there is a connection to the story in the Yakuza series and the actual Yakuza. I heard somewhere that they actually portray a lot of local Japanese events in a kind of a subtle way. This is part of why I like the setting and story of the Yakuza games. Because if the west would handle this they would show no respect to their culture. Kiryu would hijack cars, beat up people with Karate and everybody would talk American English with a horrible Japanese accent. See: Sleeping Dogs.

I can't help but mention, Sleeping Dogs isn't about yakuza but Chinese triads. And making the whole game with a Chinese language... wow, that would be something for a western devs/pubs.
    Even SEGA screwed up and released 1st Yakuza with an English dubbing. Still hoping for a Yakuza 1&2 HD Edition in the west with Japanese dubbing for the first game - or at least dual audio.

Six minutes isn't too long for a good documentary. Posted to Reddit tonight.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast