Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stranger than fiction: Is PS3 about to win the console sales war?

Super Moderator - Foxy Mod Ingolme's Avatar

Going by the tangent in that graph, if it keeps up its current sales rate for another two years they'll get there.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowLegend View Post
    I'm kinda wondering how the PS3 and 360 are so close.
    Especially considering all the millions upon millions upon millions of broken 360's that are in landfills everywhere, there's no telling how many extra consoles Microsoft sold to consumers who had to buy replacements.
    -Proud to be a True Gamer-
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadiWulf
    I'd rather give fluffymoochicken a kiss before I'd give one to Aaron Greenbrug :S
    Fluffy's Tumblr Page
    I love my Shadi-kun. <3

Quote Originally Posted by fluffymoochicken View Post
    Especially considering all the millions upon millions upon millions of broken 360's that are in landfills everywhere, there's no telling how many extra consoles Microsoft sold to consumers who had to buy replacements.
    Maybe the 3-year warranty Microsoft offered helped prevent that.

Maybe the 3-year warranty Microsoft offered helped prevent that.
    Every game system has inflated numbers. I'm sure you could probably shave millions of sales from both the PS1 and PS2 since both of those systems had a lot of problems at launch.

That's something you can't really judge in a proper way other than actual sales numbers. If you go by how many systems are connected online, that wouldn't work since not all consoles were connected online. You also can't determine how many console are no longer being played or are out of commission. In my opinion, broken consoles and consoles that are collecting dust aren't all that different.

I agree, lol.

The 360 didn't outsell the PS3 for 7 years just because many of the 360s released in the first couple years had issues. The 360 was the more popular platform, simple as that, for the vast majority of its life.

The PS3 is gaining ground, evidently, because of its strong success in Europe and steady (but not great) numbers from Japan. But it's funny that it's not doing well at all in North America. (Relatively speaking.)

It seems pretty unlikely to me that the PS3 will sell another 23 million consoles....that's more than 1/3 of its lifetime userbase.........

Even had the PS4 not been announced, PS3 hasn't been selling at a pace where it's reasonable to think that it'll gain another 23 million in just a couple year's time.
    Yeah, it will be hard.

PS3 initial sales from Sony die hards.
    PS3 sales after several price drops.
    PS3 sales after Slim
    PS3 Sales after Super Slim.

Maybe another price drop might add some sales, but with the PS4 I can see support dropping.

Quote Originally Posted by SegaCD_user View Post
    Console sales wars? Good luck beating Wii sales.
    They actually could probably do it.

If you're ok with it taking them another 4-5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by rf switch View Post
    They actually could probably do it.

If you're ok with it taking them another 4-5 years.
    I don't think that would do it either. You would to think that within a year after the PS4 launch, PS3 sales will drop like a stone, especially with third parties quickly abandoning the 7th generation consoles. I also wouldn't expect Sony to keep the PS3 around for another 4-5 years. The PS3 is doing okay right now, but it's no PS2. The PS2 still had major exclusive games coming out well after the launch of the 7th gen systems and for a time, it was outselling the PS3. I don't think that's going to happen again.

Banned

I can definitely see the PS3 selling more units than the X360, but I don't know if it'll be able to top the Wii's sales.

Quote Originally Posted by fluffymoochicken View Post
    Just like all the broken PS2's and original Playstation's sitting in landfills everywhere!

Isn't it funny how people always forget about the poor build quality those systems had?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast