Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: KC2 Moving Forward (long)

Default KC2 Moving Forward (long)

I would like to apologize in advance for the length of this post, itís a long read and I would forgive anyone not wishing to take the time and do so. That being said, Iím attempting to address a great many issues here, in the hopes that they will be read not so much by developers and community managers, but by the players themselves. Itís entirely possible that Iím off base on some of my assumptions or thoughts along these lines and I have no problem with anyone taking a moment to call me out on it. So without further ado:

ē World mergers and geographical conceptions in game.

I realize up front that combining servers seemed like a good idea. But what has it gained? From what Iíve seen during season 2 on World 1 (S2W1) it looks like a lot of people are playing less out of enjoyment and more from sheer dedication to what theyíve already invested. Think of it this way, many of the S2W1 players spent a good amount of money investing in armies and even social development along the lines of friendships, alliances and even enemies. We worked together as a whole literally in the hundreds to fight in our own respective worlds and many came out on top for it.

Then we move onto season two and we found, for example, that those who got into the game early in season 1 World 1 (S1W1) had ourselves tossed into the battle front against a barrage of Japanese servers all thrown at us. If I recall correctly there were three (!!) Japanese servers thrown into the mix with S1W1 and weíve been completely overwhelmed. Itís like all that time and dedication were for nothing, because it turned into a race war for the most part. A rather unfortunate set of circumstances indeed, as we can look at player activity and a quickly declining interest in the game and what we see is a level of vitriol and hatred matched by few seemingly allied against one goal, crush anyone not Japanese.

It goes beyond this though, because those players dominating world 1 arenít exactly the most honorable either, though the same can be said for both sides in some respects (to be fair.) We can see gimmicky instances where products, cards and commanders are Japanese only in availability and this kind of thing would be fine should it be limited to Japanese only servers, but when this idea finds itself tipping the scales on servers that are supposed to be Ďglobalí it creates a horrible meta-game where we (S1W1 players) are on the losing end of the spectrum.

Is it even possible to repair this kind of damage? I doubt it, how do you get players interested again in a game that seems to shun them at every opportunity. I tend to think Sega would have been better off just making KC2 simply a Japanese only title, but alas they have proven they will do whatever it takes to gather every penny they can, despite how it makes players feel when they see the truth of the matter. Truth, of course, is subjective based on ones perspective; so what I see as truth may entirely be viewed differently by others.

ē Defending the kingdom and guarding lands.

Surely something needs to be done about the idea of one insanely powerful unit dominating everything. What seriously needs to be addressed is the idea of defensive units being worn down. However in this game we know that isnít the case. So I have a very simple solution to prevent this sort of thing from happening. Unless a defensive victory is an Ďoverwhelming defeatí for the attacker it should reduce the defending unitís stamina by 50. This would mean that a unit defending a plot of land or castle could effectively defend against 9 normal attacks before it started to suffer stamina penalties and be severely handicapped. To ensure balance stamina needs to recover for units while they are reinforcing a location and not actively traveling.

What this does is ensure that a unit must be properly managed and could actually be defeated. An exception to this rule could be units within your own castle walls, for example. This stamina cost on defense would only be applied to units away from their home location. Itís also important that any Ďoverwhelming defeatí not count as a stamina cost because that would very quickly be abused to defeat even the toughest unit by sending small worthless units as Ďcannon fodderí ahead of your main, and which would then make reinforcing anyone or anything completely pointless, as itís a guaranteed win in those cases.

ĎUndefeatableí units can dominate in Arena if they wish, but the idea that any one unit could ever stand fast against a solid group of players throws the entire game out of balance. (Which leads me toÖ)

ē Game balance.

Weíve seen skill after skill come out, some good and some quite bad. Some skills were needed to add balance to the meta-game and yet some are delusional filler seemingly tossed out to attract the unwary into spending money for nothing. A fair ploy, but stillÖ

The problem becomes what Sega does to repair this damage. For example, now we see skills like Grenade+ no longer trainable. Fine, job well done as that skill was highly imbalanced. The only problem is youíve done nothing to address the units already possessing it.

Making an overpowered ability unavailable without doing something about whatís already out in the system actually just makes that ability even stronger, because the limited selection of players able to employ it. This defies logic, frankly. You are taking action on behalf of a few people to basically allow them recognized abilities that are overpowered while removing the same features from others to ever attain? Many might make the case that Ďlife isnít fairí, as weíve often heard; however, this is a game and games are supposed to be fair. Thatís what makes it a game and not life.

The only potential fix for problems like these is simply to remove the skills and Ďunlearní them from those taught immediately. Offer some sort of compensation to the owners, and leave the unit, just remove the one skill. The alternative you have are units that are impossible for anyone else to duplicate no matter what that dominate the game with no consequence. (None of which sounds like a game at all, much less a fair one.)

ē Cheating.

You knew this was coming if you read anything Iíve written thus far.

Cheating in this game is completely out of control. I take no pause in saying that Sega actively turns a blind eye to it so long as someone is willing to buy CP, and thatís a sad state of affairs indeed.

What happened to the one account per user concept? During KC1 I recall seeing many a player actually banned because of this, and rightfully so. I recall at one point a very prominent and active player actually lost her account, while being a guild leader and very much an avid CP buyer and user. Why? Because she was cheating, quite simply, and thatís fair and thatís the way it should be.

I prefer to play the game honestly, but itís hard to not give into temptation sometimes, Iíll be truthful. I see guilds making fake alts to log into so they can have a protected castle to join their guild and sneak in a back road unguarded.

This of course is both cheating and abusing the protection period system, and quite dishonorable, but it goes beyond just that. Weíve also seen people create alts and make them guild lords so your guild cannot be subbed. Weíve seen subbed guilds do the same thing by also making an alt or getting one and allowing them to join the guild, transferring lord to them, and letting themselves get subbed and freed by someone else; another blatant abuse of the system.

But whatís worse is that weíve seen players making alts in the dozens to get free SR cards every few weeks, again also in the dozens, and use the auction house to transfer DP gained from daily bonuses and quests to a main account, then use that DP to transfer SR cards in mass to said main account, and basically just cheat like thereís no tomorrow.

I can accept that some people will have better armies just because they are spending a LOT more money than I can, thatís fine. But when people are winning and escaping or defeating one another and doing so by cheating using these and many other tactics I have to call out Sega, for doing nothing to stop it.

ē Money and quality control.

Having thousands of players spending small amounts of money are far more profitable than having a few players spend thousands. This isnít a news flash, this is the base economic principle not only of many very successful businesses but in some cases countries have used this to expand their own economic growth. It applies here, too.

Taking the time to do small things Iíve mentioned before, like keep the game balanced and the players informed. Spending the time needed to ensure existing abilities and game functions work properly and ensure players are actually fully aware of what they do is just a matter of quality control and should be the highest of priorities for any gaming establishment. We can find countless examples across the internet of where games have flourished our failed based almost entirely on this concept. I should never look at a skill and read where it says Ďgreatly increases attackí, for example. What it should say is something more along the lines of: ĎIncreases attack by 17%, then attacks.í These factors should also be influenced by the skills actual level, but either way we need more information.

Obviously Sega needs to make money, gaming is just one market where corporations strive to make as much money as they can, but the quality control is quite poor here. Look at the vast majority of opinions on your own forums across the language barriers and youíll see for yourself that the only people posting to make comments and complaints are the ones that want to spend money and help the game grow. The ones that donít just quit and never look back... They delete the game and call it a day.

Information is key, because the general consensus among KC2 players is that Sega continually releases new campaigns solely to gather up as much money as they possibly can before players get burned out and give up on it completely.
    This idea is old and outdated, considering that making small policy changes and better efforts in development could lead to longer term success and more profits. Itís like Sega wants to shoot itself in the foot because it doesnít like the way its toes look or something.

The more detail you give us the more we will talk about it in not on this medium but many others, and the more we talk the more time we invest in a game, and the more time we invest the less likely we are to leave.

So where do we go from here?

These are all key issues that need to be publicly addressed, and it saddens me that I canít express these thoughts across the other forums because English is the only language Iím able to use. I wish I knew what other players thought, if they thought like this at all about the game, and where their opinions were rooted.

What I do know is that something must be done. Not because Sega has to, no thatís silly, they are making plenty of money of this product, but because itís the right thing to do. You would think that a company this old would have some sort of moral compass, but such cannot be taken for granted it would seem.

Then again, maybe I donít know what Iím talking about at all. As nothing Iíve written has any value without the will of Sega and the development team to make efforts to correct any of it. If they donít already posses the desire to address these issues then it becomes the job of the consumer to force their hands by simply not spending; a tactic that has proven very affective historically.

Wow, you hit the nail on the head. Kudos! I am wholeheartly agree. I am already in the process of quitting since the Japanese alliances on W2S2 already dominated the server with their "dev--only" cheated armies. Not couting that the biggest badest Japanese alliance already created multiple "alt" accounts in our backyard to create a week-long protected castles. SEGA really screws up big time here when they decide to open S2 worlds; alt-abused. These things add up. Will SEGA look into blatantly cheating instances by their Japanese players, I doubted it as long as it favours the japanese. The japanese have a huge leg up with their special commanders that would allow them to have lv99 armies a week and half into the game. No wonder they over-run everything. Then when they can't beat a certain alliance, they cheated and created new protected accounts in our area so they can link their lands and attacked us. This is not one time instances but multilple times. No self-respected top alliances will accept an hour old castle/account but yet this top Japanese alliance will just to access our lord. That is the most cheating thing you can do. But leave ti to SEGA, there will be no fairness to non-japanese.

Agree on all points.

I have been speaking out about the japanese only promotions etc since kc1, as my post history should clearly show.

Additionally, as a natural consequence of this, also speaking out about merging JP servers with others, and China servers as well due to taobao cheap cp, another long standing issue never addressed. The only responses have been, to the former "we hope to offer exclusives in other regions" and to the latter, "apple controls the taobao situation, not Sega".

Effectively, dodges.

The biggest example though, you did not mention. That article revealing Sega was offering to pay Japanese to lead KC alliances to victory on their servers. I still hope that was a joke, even if it was it is indicative of the problem.

When the server merges for s2 were announced, many complained on the forum here, and a poll was taken where almost every player voted that they were unhappy with the decision, nothing changed. Granted the forum community is but a subset of the population, such overwhelming numbers can clearly have their meaning extrapolated to the community at large.

Unfortunately, my friends, the only action that will ever get true results, or for that matter even noticed, is voting with our wallets, and to a lesser extent our time.

Players will be hesitant to do this, understandably so given the investment in both aspects, but organizing this may become a necessity, not out of hate for the game but out of love. This is a great game with great potential, and being ruined through some mismanagement and the pursuit of the almighty dollar.

Players team up to fight all non Japanese? Fine, we take away their fun too by offering no non-Japanese to fight .

Sega ignoring the issues to chase money? Then we take away as much as we can by discontinuing our investment until the situation changes.

I quit kc1 when the jp servers were merged with others, s4 simply was not fun, and despite all my work and expenditure there, i have totally discontinued play and investment, it is the only thing you can do aside from encouraging others to do the same, and voice your plight to deaf ears.

The main reason I started kc2 was because of how much it resembled the earlier days of kc1, with some improvements and innovations, and some of the old problems intact. Sadly, it seems to be evolving far more rapidly than kc1 did into a similar abomination and will soon also be beyond repair, if it is not already.
    Last edited by Hartayke; 07-05-2013 at 04:06 PM.
    Misinformation is a sin.

There isn't a lot westerner left. Land and units spreadshert and as well kcdb website maintainer has already quit. We have no real support for the game any more. Sega only share real information to japanese players.
    No one really care about the english forum any more. The forum is dead. Sega has no interest in westerner. In about a month there won't be any one but japanese left. The game has sadly turned into a racial war. Japanese will always refuse to fight one another than till we all quit. Merging japanese and rest of the server is no doubt biggest mistake that sega is repeating making. Let fatten up these japanese, by giving them awoken SR, unique commander that give full heal/extra exp while training, and even new year commander while every one else can no linger get them. I think we can fairly call it cheating!

I play this game just to hang out with old kc1 friends. It's really not about the game any more for me. I'm losing interest quickly. Now these days, all i see either cheater or millionair. There are japanese out there
    With dual sr cent with grenade+. Probably Gear's alt account. Sega wouldnt care about cheating. All they care is more event to
    Drive up income.

I appreciate the additional commentary from readers, thank you.

Even if you don't want to post a reply please rate this thread so it might receive some additional attention from our forum viewers, thank you.

Simple solution to all problems is to separate servers:
    - Japanese/asia only servers
    - USA/EU only servers

This would at least make most things a heck of a lot better and attract a new player base and old players back!

and WTH - why is J A P a banned word????? Can someone explain this to me?
    Its like banning the words british german french or American...

USA speaks truth the evidence is overwhelmingly obvious! I so just remain to chill wiv a few friends etc! Its only a matter of time til we all choose a new game as we are testing them out for what is and isnt a fair game atm to find a more suitable and fairer one where its developers actually listens and accomodates its gaming community.
    Last edited by xTeKt0n1c; 07-11-2013 at 05:06 AM.

My posts are TeKt0n1c
    You just got Tekkerised!

Totally agreed.

Voices of thousands of players. A dev response will be nice.

I won't be making it into S2 until the next merge, but many of the problems seen there are apparent in my other worlds. Things I've noted so far include:
    While being outnumbered 4-1, a Japanese alliance nearly dominated one of my worlds. I can't fathom how quickly things will go south when we don't have numbers.

Attempts to report what appears to be cheeting by Japanese players get delayed by Sega so the request times out and is automatically closed.

A huge lack of information is there to make players spend CP to try builds that don't work because we have no clue as to what the skills do.

The listed skill % aquire rates are higher than they are in reality. Again, another way to get people to spend more CP drawing cards.

Card rare/SR draws seem to be higher for people spending CP than those not for Gold ticket and dungeon ticket draws. Just perception on this one, no hard evidence.

For what it's worth I think the skill acquire rates are pretty accurate. There isn't really any reason for them not to be, I think the people who are complaining just had really crummy luck. Statistically, if the chance to acquire is 70%, 1% of the time you will fail 4 times in a row.

I don't think the rare dorp rates are tied to spending CP either, I've pulled more SR cards in the world I don't spend CP in than the world I do.

Pretty much everything else is right on. The loss of so many of the English speaking players and community members has really made it hard to get good information on the game.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast