Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to Prioritize Monster Choice

Default How to Prioritize Monster Choice

So, I've been thinking about this lately, especially when trying to give advice to newer players. I believe there is room for debate here, but I'd have to say that I have changed how I choose my monsters for my assorted strategies. I've detailed below how I select my monsters.

• Attack per Charge
      • The single most consistent feature of any given monster is its ability to attack, and even if a monster is silenced preventing the use of skills, it can still attack.

• Leadership Skill
      • The leadership skill is the one skill that doesn't require leveling up, and is usually "Always On," thus making it the most useful skill to select for.

• Skill
      • At this point, I'm selecting skills that compliment/stack with each other. There are WAY too many strategies out there, and as far as I'm concerned, most of them work.

• Race Complement
      • This one is hit or miss, it primarily only applies if you choose a Race based Leadership Skill, which describes most of them. But sometimes the Race/Skill combo you're looking for doesn't exist, so I select for damage first.

• Element
      • This may cause the most debate, but by-in-large, Element has the least factor in damage in a team setting. For a specific example, if you choose a varied team, with one of each primary element (Fire, Water, Wood) and one of any other element, at most you'll have one monster that is super weak against your target.

Also a quick note about Null creatures. As many are aware, Null does 100% damage to all elemental types (including Null). To truly evaluate a particular Null creature's effective attack power, you need to multiply whatever the Attack per Charge is by 1.43. This represents the functional difference of a Shadow/Light creature doing 70% to Fire, Water, & Wood versus what a Null creature can do at the same damage point. In other words, a Null Creature with 210 Attack per charge does the same damage against Fire, Water, & Wood as a Shadow/Light creature with 300 Attack per charge. This makes Apocalypse the most powerful monster in the game with an effective attack of 660 per charge.

Take a look at Beasts as a race to start with their leadership (fire or rhythm) are quite easy to obtain and are often overlooked

Though intended to be a factor for newer players, what about charges per attack? 1 charge critters might have lower attack per coin, but also will contribute to combos.

I find balancing the different chargers to be a great strategy. The 3 coin charge monsters are going to hit harder thus generating more coins from the monsters and giving the player more dropped coins to charge more attacks. If your other monsters are 1 or 2 coin charges, they'll get the combo count up, powering up all attacks and keeping the coin flow going.

I usually go with one 3 Charge, two 2 Charge and two 1 Charge monsters *IF* I have that choice available to me. My latest personal team is one 3 Charge, two 2 Charge and one 1 Charge monster with whatever charge ally I have.

So, when making a team, do most people go full on rainbow or stick with a single element? Coming from games like PAD and Brave Frontier my instinct is to go mono element, mono race but maybe I don't need to in Dragon Coins.

Mono Element tends to only work well on Dragon's Road daily missions and Urgent missions where the player faces a single element the entire fight. On the Chapter missions, Release Event missions and a few other special Events (Joker for example) the player faces many different elements, usually all six. If a particular round of a stage is Elementally strong against the player's Mono Element team, the player may struggle to defeat that round. Taking an all fire team up against 3 water monsters doesn't end well for the player.

A partial exception can be made for Mono Element Shadow or Light, because the damage modifiers aren't as bad. In theory Mono Element Null is the best of all worlds, but the creator's know this, so Null monsters have lower attack, fewer monster options and a weaker selection of skills.

I currently run with 2 Light and 2 Shadow or 2 Light, 1 Shadow, and 1 Water. One of my strongest teams I've ever made was 1 Wood, 1 Water, 1 Fire and 1 Light.

But that's just me!
    Last edited by silrn; 07-09-2014 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by silrn View Post
    I currently run with 2 Light and 2 Shadow or 2 Light, 1 Shadow, and 1 Water. One of my strongest teams I've ever made was 1 Wood, 1 Water, 1 Fire and 1 Light.

But that's just me!
    listen to silrn he's got a freakin lvl 75 azazel. Lol

but anyways he is completely correct you never want to run a completely one element team, even an all light team with light chain and you can do a ton of combos, I tried this on ultimate once and strong urgent missions a bunch of times and it did not work well because you will get either one shot because not all your light monster are strong or skills will diminish or nullify the completely dependent skill.

You could have a water monster that does 600 dmg per charge(about the strongest atk in the game) but put it up against a leaf and it will only do 180 per charge which is crap

I have my teams set up into colors as well, but you can throw in one of your strongest monster with the best skill in to prevent your team from getting wiped by a single weakness element! For me this is either my grand void or wyrm maiden with lvl 9 all haste. Obviously depending on your strength and lvls on your team. This is for strong people attempting expert and ultimate missions and weaker players attempting chapter 3 and beyond.

you can't really counter this argument by saying I overpowered an easy or medium or hard mission with a bunch of lvls 45s that were the wrong color.
    Last edited by Tpot11; 07-09-2014 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GameOtter View Post
    So, when making a team, do most people go full on rainbow or stick with a single element? Coming from games like PAD and Brave Frontier my instinct is to go mono element, mono race but maybe I don't need to in Dragon Coins.
    dont go full rainbow either because the most important monster you need to kill is the boss, which usually has a ton of hp and a super strong skill or even, makes all monster do next to nothing dmg except for elemental weakness. Most times you will fly by all the monster till you get to the boss, and usually the coin count has diminished by then. If you play the game for an avg amount of time you can get a rainbow of decent monsters, Ahriman Sakuya Alwida,(they are comming back soon) so you can make other teams, you can't always use the same team all the way through, because they make new events where it counters all your monster.

again you can force your way through any mission with an overpowering team regardless of the element, but this is for free players and newer players.
    Last edited by Tpot11; 07-09-2014 at 05:28 PM.

I'd disagree. If you come across an enemy with the shield skill that cuts damage from non element weaknesses, then yes, an all-one element team may not cut it. But I use a four light and grand void team, and when I get light chain (need a friend, sadly), and activate coin share? Domination. Plus a light prince to boost damage, grand void to boost combo damage and double attacks? I don't know how many attacks I generate because my opponent's always dead. And I have a beast tamer R+ light dragon as insurance to delay the enemy if needed. With light chain it's basically 1 coin to make a few 3 charge dragons attack, so a lot of damage gets dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by Arinoch View Post
    I'd disagree. If you come across an enemy with the shield skill that cuts damage from non element weaknesses, then yes, an all-one element team may not cut it. But I use a four light and grand void team, and when I get light chain (need a friend, sadly), and activate coin share? Domination. Plus a light prince to boost damage, grand void to boost combo damage and double attacks? I don't know how many attacks I generate because my opponent's always dead. And I have a beast tamer R+ light dragon as insurance to delay the enemy if needed. With light chain it's basically 1 coin to make a few 3 charge dragons attack, so a lot of damage gets dropped.
    Judging by your join date and the number of posts you have I'm assuming you are a veteran and active player but the people asking the advice are newer and May or may not have any sr chest monsters, this is why they are asking us for the advice. And if they did get lucky and have the cheetah of light chain it is most likely their teams are weak and consist of monster below the lvl 20 so the chain will be weaker monsters.

id actually go and say you agree with me 100% because one you throw in one strong non element grand void which is exactly what I said to do, and you use stronger monsters:light r+ dragons and light prince to chain, so I'm assuming you spent time making your light team stronger which is also a point I made. But these people most likey have a scattering of strong monster across all elements and races and cannot yet specialize and their light monster have low hp as most light monster do.

i was speaking to back to when I used this on Ahriman trying to put myself in their shoes. So if you want to talk about your strong monster you need to put yourself up against a strong enemy to be relevant, which have many other ways to stop light chain and single element teams, than elemental shield. Which btw your team is not an all single element because of grand void.

and I also said again you can force your way through any mission with an overpowering team regardless of the element, but this is for free players and newer players.

p.s I'm assuming that most people are around or under lvl 30 and do not have rare dragons and can't even see them because friend list is based on relevant lvls. We veteran players are increasingly becoming minorities, and can't assume everyone is as strong as us or spend cash.
    Last edited by Tpot11; 07-09-2014 at 06:50 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast