Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yakuza 5 crowd funded translation

Default Yakuza 5 crowd funded translation

I'm sure this has probably been discussed before, but is there a reason why Sega wouldn't run a kickstarter to pay for the translation fees of Yakuza 5? If they made it a digital release and kickstarted the localization I'd be all over it. If this has been discussed before then apologies, just finished the awesome Yakuza 4 and the fact that there's no English follow-up is tearing me apart. Such a great game!

I'm not sure but I remember another company doing it for a game called Class of Heroes 2 which the translation was crowd funded. I wish Sega would take that approach, but people in Japan have no idea what Kickstarter or other crowd funding sites are.

As much as I would love to see a localized Yakuza 5 I'm not sure I would be comfortable with major publishers turning to crowd funding.

In most cases I would agree with you, Malice. I don't know what the original sales figures were for Yakuza 4's US launch, but I've heard they were initially in the 20k-25k realm. Not a lot, hell... it's abysmal and if true, then certainly I can understand Sega's reluctance to do anything with the follow up.

That being said however, the Yakuza fan base is anything if not dedicated, and given an opportunity to put our money where our mouths are, I'm sure we could make it happen. With digital releases what they are these days, Sega wouldn't even need to print/press finished units. I do believe it's situations like this where Kickstarter can truly shine. Look what happened with Amplitude. That's a story much like this one where 10,000s of dedicated fans came together to make the impossible, possible.

On a related note, I asked a friend who works in a certain Japanese publisher's localization dept about how much it would cost to translate a game. He said for a project as text intensive as say, a Monster Hunter game, it would cost somewhere in the realm of 50,000,000 yen. Substantially more if you wanted voice overs etc as well. Going by current conversions that would be about $486,000us. And Amplitude was able to hit $800k+... just food for thought.

I don't know, maybe I'm an idiot and maybe I'm just too hopeful having just come off the buzz of Yakuza4. It would be awesome if Sega rolled these dice and at least gave us a chance. For now I'm about to jump into Yakuza: Dead Souls. Can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by empok View Post
    On a related note, I asked a friend who works in a certain Japanese publisher's localization dept about how much it would cost to translate a game. He said for a project as text intensive as say, a Monster Hunter game, it would cost somewhere in the realm of 50,000,000 yen. Substantially more if you wanted voice overs etc as well. Going by current conversions that would be about $486,000us. And Amplitude was able to hit $800k+... just food for thought.

I don't know, maybe I'm an idiot and maybe I'm just too hopeful having just come off the buzz of Yakuza4. It would be awesome if Sega rolled these dice and at least gave us a chance. For now I'm about to jump into Yakuza: Dead Souls. Can't wait!
    It was very inspiring keeping tabs on the Amplitude Kickstarter and watching it hit the threshold. Same with the H-Hour Kickstarter(though it wasn't as down to the wire as the Amplitude one). Some really dedicated fans double dipped into their wallets more than others to help fund Amplitude. I loved the Frequency and Amplitude for PS2 and can't wait until this new one comes out.

I'm kind of hoping Sega doesn't have to go the Kickstarter route either, but it's a viable option if they do. If Sega did this and let people take the amount they donated off their purchase price of the full game it could work. A lot of the fans would donate more than the $1 or $5 minimum most kickstarters have. They could certainly raise upwards of $500,000 over the course of 30 days. Anything above that would go straight into other costs.

What falls under "etc" when it comes to localization? Did your friend elaborate on that at all? I've been wondering about the localization process a lot these last few weeks, it's nice to have some insight into it.

Doing some quick math(OK, more like "busting out the calculator") $486,000 divided by 60 equals 8,100. I went with $60 because you aren't charged tax for digital games.

If you bump that number up to an even $500,000 and divide it by 60, you get 8,333.3

Yakuza 5 would sell much more than 8,334 copies at $60, lol...but even with that said there's a lot more to factor into the cost of the game. Bandwidth costs and advertising costs on Sony's servers for instance. Online and offline advertising, even if it's limited, still costs money. I think the game would certainly make a profit, but just how much is anyone's guess.

According to VGChartz(which apparently isn't 100% reliable, so take it with a grain of salt), Yakuza 4 either sold or shipped around 244,000 copies outside of Japan. That's with little to no advertising outside Japan, basically us hardcore fans knowing it's coming out and buying it day one, and other copies selling various ways.

Dead Souls didn't fare as well unfortunately. While most fans of the series got a kick out of it(myself included, and I hope you like it too since you're just starting to play it), people were less enthused to try it, most likely because of how different it was from the other games.

Since Yakuza 5 is a return to form, it should catch on(again) outside Japan. Hopefully well enough to justify Ishin and the next game making it too.

You're not an idiot at all man, you're hopeful just like the rest of us here. Enjoy Dead Souls!
    Love Yakuza 5! Looking forward to 0 and hopefully 6!

Quote Originally Posted by king_ruckus View Post
    It was very inspiring keeping tabs on the Amplitude Kickstarter and watching it hit the threshold. Same with the H-Hour Kickstarter(though it wasn't as down to the wire as the Amplitude one). Some really dedicated fans double dipped into their wallets more than others to help fund Amplitude. I loved the Frequency and Amplitude for PS2 and can't wait until this new one comes out.
    I'm happy to say I was one of those double dippers. More Amplitude in my life is something I sorely needed, and if by making it happen the series can pick up some more fans then that's terrific. Rock band Blitz was close, but it didn't really scratch that itch. Can't wait for next year

I'm kind of hoping Sega doesn't have to go the Kickstarter route either, but it's a viable option if they do. If Sega did this and let people take the amount they donated off their purchase price of the full game it could work. A lot of the fans would donate more than the $1 or $5 minimum most kickstarters have. They could certainly raise upwards of $500,000 over the course of 30 days. Anything above that would go straight into other costs.
    As a fan I would easily donate $60us to a Yakuza 5 kickstarter, and more if it came down to the wire/had good enough incentives. For instance, I would throw in another $60 if Toshihiro Nagoshi would come to my house and kick me in the face. As I live in Japan too, this could be easily arranged haha

What falls under "etc" when it comes to localization? Did your friend elaborate on that at all? I've been wondering about the localization process a lot these last few weeks, it's nice to have some insight into it.
    He mentioned other things that might drive up the price of localization being voice acting, manuals and in-package documentation, as well as the overall quality of the localization ie. changing cultural jokes/references to be more applicable to a different audience etc. Generally most of the things I imagine an average Yakuza fan wouldn't want anyway. It seems like an absolutely fantastic job if you have the smarts for language, though he does work some pretty long hours and is not immune to the dreaded "crunch time."

When you do the maths like that, it seems very possible. I can imagine there might be some rights issues to sort out with the music etc, but without knowing how much was done in house and how much was licensed it's hard to say. I'm not even sure about how much advertising Sega would initially need to pay out as the buzz behind Yakuza 5 finally coming West and a kickstarter campaign would almost certainly be news worthy.

To live and dream though, it really would be awesome... SEGA, I'm throwing money at you.

Personally I would be all for this, a proper chance to show Sega we want this title and would financially back it up!

I think what would be more possible for sega would be some kind of preorder challenge, like some other developer/publisher?? did, they made the translation a possibility depended on the preorders, to see if enough interest exists, I think that sound reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by hachan View Post
    I think what would be more possible for sega would be some kind of preorder challenge, like some other developer/publisher?? did, they made the translation a possibility depended on the preorders, to see if enough interest exists, I think that sound reasonable.
    Absolutely, that works as well. I simply want to be given a chance to put up a show of support either via a Kickstarter campaign or a type of preorder campaign. I would lean more towards Kickstarter though simply because it would be possible to pay more than a predetermined RRP. Either way though would be great. This series has some very passionate fans, and it would be nice forSega to give us the opportunity to show that we're not all talk.

A brilliant idea someone on GameFAQs had was alternatively, SEGA could crowd fund a translation DLC pack that replaces the Japanese text with English text and adds subtitles. Just put that up on the Japanese PSN store and let the fans have at it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast