Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Bad arena skills/ combinations

  1. #1

    Default Bad arena skills/ combinations


    important!


    When I say "you" in this thread, I am referring to the arena monsters you are using to defend attacks, not the team you take into the arena to fight.

    Through ought my time I've seen some really bad skill combos and here I thought I'd bring them up so we can learn and avoid dumb mistakes
    bombs on the sides + great collapse

    Bomb skills are great, you can really mess up your foes, especially with a poison or confuse bomb. But one thing you should do is put bombers in the middle, with bombs on the side, you are more likely to be hit by your own weapons,

    don't pair bombers with great collapse, as great collapse has a tendency to throw most of the pusher's contents off the side, including the previously dropped bombs, not good for you at all as most will target the great collapsed afterwards.

    trouble towers

    ok, I'm probably gonna get flamed for this, but trouble towers is a bad arena skill, because it can easily be turned against you, someone can easily weaken the monster down to a slither of HP then rally another attack and then trigger the skill. This will cause the towers to be made but the builder will die, this allows the towers to be knocked down immidetly and could be the cause of the combo that spells your doom.

    If you want to use a trouble towers, have a Vangaurd or two to protect your builder, I recommed poison cloud, Vangaurd and trouble towers together (haven't tested, but I imagine it would work well, or you could risk swapping Vangaurd for floppy pusher)

    escalate


    in my opinion, this is the absolute WORSE skill you can use, it helps your attacker as well allowing them an easier time to kill your good skillers faster then take down the escalator, the increased damage makes it more likely your foe will kill you before you get to attack!

    and I see this skill being used A LOT

    just... Don't unless your have go big or go home handy and pray that it's accidentally triggered



    that's all for now feel free to add and give your opinions,

    but keep flaming to PMs please.
    Last edited by Hyperfairy777; 09-06-2014 at 07:20 AM.
    current avatar: the devouer of space and time (grand void recolour)
    larger vversion
    ...
    urm, I'll just put my dragon coins game ID here: 8380 4477 8558

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    58

    Default

    I agree on your last two points but the bombs are more complicated.

    For instance if you drop two crappy bombs on the side (poison) these don't harm you, other than opportunity cost of not having a useful skill, and it makes it more likely for the bomb in the middle to land. Edit: or 3x confuse. Confuse on the enemies does not seem as detrimental as a confuse on yourself.

    I'd also argue that Shakes the World is more of a wildcard, it just as easily may shake a bomb from the edge into the middle. Objects that were on the right tend to get shifted to the left for me.




    I use great wall and escalate to my advantage and can't really think of a situatiin where they've been bad for me. I'd figure pairing it up, on your very first wave, with a quick attacker and "joins allies on attack" maybe. It's hard to pair that though since arena enemies die SO FAST.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Garru View Post
    I agree on your last two points but the bombs are more complicated.

    For instance if you drop two crappy bombs on the side (poison) these don't harm you, other than opportunity cost of not having a useful skill, and it makes it more likely for the bomb in the middle to land. Edit: or 3x confuse. Confuse on the enemies does not seem as detrimental as a confuse on yourself.

    I'd also argue that Shakes the World is more of a wildcard, it just as easily may shake a bomb from the edge into the middle. Objects that were on the right tend to get shifted to the left for me.




    I use great wall and escalate to my advantage and can't really think of a situatiin where they've been bad for me. I'd figure pairing it up, on your very first wave, with a quick attacker and "joins allies on attack" maybe. It's hard to pair that though since arena enemies die SO FAST.
    the three point I made were in order of badness with the last one being the worst in my opinion no,bs arn't that bad but as everything shifts to the left with great collapse, a bomb on the left is a bad idea

    and when I say you in this thread I mean as in the arena monsters you set up, not the monsters you use to atttack
    Last edited by Hyperfairy777; 09-06-2014 at 07:17 AM.
    current avatar: the devouer of space and time (grand void recolour)
    larger vversion
    ...
    urm, I'll just put my dragon coins game ID here: 8380 4477 8558

  4. #4

    Default

    Yeah, I can imagine though that Escelade is meant to be used with confusion bomb to make players do massive damage to themselves, much like the moves Swagger and Flatter in Pokemon (both raise the opponent's attack and special attack respectively, but will confuse them). This is meant to have the monsters do severe damage to themselves when they do attack themselves. It's risky, but if done right, it can cost a player a match (I know surviving a level 20 Wyvern confusion is hard enough alone...surviving that with the attack boost, on TOP of the enemy attacks...I've lost a fair few matches that way).

    Still, this is good for those who don't fully understand the arena and want to play it competitively (ugh...I hate that word, ruins many multiplayer games).

    Another you can add to your list is Sleep bomb. You really should never have a sleep bomb. It's easy to get rid of the sleep effect on the ONE monster of yours it hit (just let the enemy attack, or ignore that monster until the next round, one of the two will happen before you get into any real trouble), but if it falls off the side, BAM, you just gave your opponent a free lullaby, which means free coin shower. I really can't think of any reason to use Sleep bomb at all over something like Skill stop.

    Also, I don't think Poison bombs stack, so having more than one really increases the odds that you'll take the 1000 damage in poison for your monsters. (Yes, the poison wears off after doing 1000 damage).
    I'm Kao Ninjaratzu, the wolf god of Starmaninja!
    The character in my avatar was created and drawn by me.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KaoNinjaratzu View Post
    Yeah, I can imagine though that Escelade is meant to be used with confusion bomb to make players do massive damage to themselves, much like the moves Swagger and Flatter in Pokemon (both raise the opponent's attack and special attack respectively, but will confuse them). This is meant to have the monsters do severe damage to themselves when they do attack themselves. It's risky, but if done right, it can cost a player a match (I know surviving a level 20 Wyvern confusion is hard enough alone...surviving that with the attack boost, on TOP of the enemy attacks...I've lost a fair few matches that way).

    Still, this is good for those who don't fully understand the arena and want to play it competitively (ugh...I hate that word, ruins many multiplayer games).

    Another you can add to your list is Sleep bomb. You really should never have a sleep bomb. It's easy to get rid of the sleep effect on the ONE monster of yours it hit (just let the enemy attack, or ignore that monster until the next round, one of the two will happen before you get into any real trouble), but if it falls off the side, BAM, you just gave your opponent a free lullaby, which means free coin shower. I really can't think of any reason to use Sleep bomb at all over something like Skill stop.

    Also, I don't think Poison bombs stack, so having more than one really increases the odds that you'll take the 1000 damage in poison for your monsters. (Yes, the poison wears off after doing 1000 damage).
    Good point with the sleep bomb

    regarding the the potential escalate+ confuse combo! I can imagine the best way is escalate with 2 confuses, however with just one you can often avoid moving the bomb altogether
    current avatar: the devouer of space and time (grand void recolour)
    larger vversion
    ...
    urm, I'll just put my dragon coins game ID here: 8380 4477 8558

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperfairy777 View Post
    Good point with the sleep bomb

    regarding the the potential escalate+ confuse combo! I can imagine the best way is escalate with 2 confuses, however with just one you can often avoid moving the bomb altogether
    Yeah, it seems like confusion is really one you want to spam cause it does more damage than the damage the monsters do to yourself. Getting to the point where a lucky confusion saves your game is much rarer than praying that the confusion doesn't kill you before you kill the monsters, but yeah, it's a risk reward system.

    But you're right, 3 confusion bombs just means your monsters are pretty much guarenteed to be confused AND having more than one bumps the middle one aside. The bombs are quirky and follow physics that make ZERO sense in any universe (seriously...the bomb always rolls in the opposite direction the coins push them but when I don't push it, it rolls right off to the side....They also must weigh as much as balloons with boiling water inside them somehow.) XD
    I'm Kao Ninjaratzu, the wolf god of Starmaninja!
    The character in my avatar was created and drawn by me.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    20

    Default

    When I learned that Checkmate could knock down Trouble Towers as soon as its Double Coin Wall was triggered, I started looking forward to Trouble Towers almost as much as Escalate.

    I'd save them for the very end of the round, then trigger them both for the next one.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    58

    Default

    The best way to use that combo would be to have a round with 3x confuse orbs used by weak monsters followed by an Escalate+ tanky enemy round. Didn't do me in but one came close, I could see how it would catch a lot of people off guard.

    Orbs drop down, enemies die FAST pushing them away with coins, they hit you next wave with Escalate and long-lasting enemies.

    Okay, I admit I ended rounds like that at 0hp and started the next with 10



    And if I wasn't clear I was referring to your arena team as 'you' also. Some arena monsters have a skill that lets them attack whenever another monster attacks - the red koryu event guy has it along with the shadow kono one (hippovamp). Paired with a 3 or 4 count monster and Escalate, I imagine, might be pretty effective, one of the only single-wave uses for it I can think of, I was able go beat basically every other one I saw with ease.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    398

    Default

    On the topic of bad combinations, unless you're trying to give other people coins or have a really good reason for it, fill out each wave completely before starting the next one. Just ran into a 7 wave team where the last two waves were single monsters, leading to a free 50 coins for me.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magog View Post
    On the topic of bad combinations, unless you're trying to give other people coins or have a really good reason for it, fill out each wave completely before starting the next one. Just ran into a 7 wave team where the last two waves were single monsters, leading to a free 50 coins for me.
    I have a 7 team set up like this because I front loaded my first 5 waves and capped out my cost at 40/42. So I put two 1-cost final waves to incentivize people to attack me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •