Page 3 of 514 FirstFirst 12345671353103503 ... LastLast

Thread: "Sonic Boom" Episode Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by omote23 View Post
    It seems that First episode is already finished.
    Yes. It's finished.
    http://forums.sega.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=163480&dateline=14877  30777
    STOP SPREADING FAKE REVIEWS ON SONIC!

Senior Member Crystal Chaotix 3's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shdowhunt60 View Post
    Thing that bothers me though, is that Tails never reciprocates those feelings. He just does everything, "because it's his job as a sidekick".
    Is that how you perceived it? It came across well that he was doing it for his position aside Sonic not specifically just because "it's his job" to me. He didn't really need to say much to get that across. Sometimes a few warm smiles, hefty determination, and a sunset scene is all you need.

Favorite Characters: 1st Place: Eggman, 2nd Place: Charmy, 3rd Place: Vector, 4th Place: Omega, 5th Place: Tails, 6th Place: Sonic, 7th Place: Rouge

In my opinion, Sonic Boom is going to be the best Sonic cartoon of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Chaotix 3 View Post
    Is that how you perceived it? It came across well that he was doing it for his position aside Sonic not specifically just because "it's his job" to me. He didn't really need to say much to get that across. Sometimes a few warm smiles, hefty determination, and a sunset scene is all you need.
    I guess. It just felt rushed.

While you may call it bragging, I am one who sees himself as a cartoon connoisseur, having grown up with quality shows such as Animaniacs and Darkwing Duck, both of which happen to be my favorite television shows of all time. So, my thoughts:
    The first episode seemed a bit lackluster. It felt short, the plot was pretty messy, and I noticed a lot of missed opportunities for jokes; like that beaver guy, just think of all the gags they could have done with him if they really tried. That being said, I'm not seeing this as a bad sign. A lot of popular cartoons had somewhat forgettable first episodes and turned out great soon after. Heck, The Simpsons' entire first season was pretty forgettable. I doubt any of you even knew that their pilot was a Christmas special; great start. But anyway, it's the pilot. It exists solely to exist. Its job is to lift the show off the ground and give the viewers a taste of what they're in for; and in that sense, it did its job.
    The second episode, on the other hand, I liked. It was enjoyably stupid and had much more solid writing. Predictable, yes, but it had plenty of good lines to keep it entertaining. I chuckled plenty of times and my middle-schooler little sister cracked up at Sticks' "You can't kill me" line twice. Once during the episode, and the other during the promo they showed after the show; so they're doing something right.
    Moving onto animation, the facial expressions are great. You can tell right away what everyone is feeling and never once do they look dead-eyed or flat. As for movement, it was kinda mixed. Sometimes it was fluid like the new TMNT, others it was a tad stale like Reboot, mainly when beaver-guy was falling. Nothing horrible, but could be a lot better; even for television CGI.
    Moving onto characters: They come off as all enjoyable and do seem like the kind of people you'd want to have an adventure with. Sonic is his usual snarky, cocky-yet-kind self that we all know and love. Eggman is pretty different though, as he's changed from the goofy-yet-still-somewhat-threatening villain from the games and comics, and has gone into full Dr. Doofenshmirtz mode. He's the bad guy, but he's not someone to take seriously. He has evil plots, but they're pretty ridiculous. He's evil, but he enjoys the little things in life. I don't mind the shift. True, it may not be the one I prefer, but it's the one that works for this kind of show.
    The others still need some more screen time for the average viewer to know how their personality plays out, as you get a glimpse of how they act and how they think, heck I can already tell that this Amy is far different from the one I've always known, but an average watcher most likely won't get enough details to know how they truly think and feel. All we can tell is that Tails is Sonic's bestest friend who will follow him anywhere, Amy is the perky, energetic, compassionate teenage girl, Sticks is the crazy one, and Orbot and Cubot are the mistreated evil lackeys. The only one who has yet to be clear on their character presentation is Knuckles; you can tell that he's a little absent minded, but nothing he says has yet to say 'total dumb-'. These are the outlines of their characters sure, but for someone who likes more depth it's not enough. This is not a complaint as it's good that they're taking their time to establish who these guys are, so I'm guessing that we'll be seeing more of those characters next week.
    All in all, it's around what I expected. Nowhere near spectacular, as they want to save the better stuff for episodes to come. It's here to give kids a taste of what's to come, and if I was a kid, even if I wasn't a fan of Sonic, I'd probably stick around. So pretty much, I have no major reason to complain.

...Except for the opening. I mean, come on! You're not even going to use the actual Sonic Boom song for the theme song?! I am so tired of these modern cartoons and their lack of a proper theme song. I want a short but memorable ditty to hum in my head for years to come, I'll even take a cheesy rap song for Christ's sake!
    Last edited by CJMoore25; 11-08-2014 at 08:29 AM.
    Link is Luigi's son! I have """"""proof"""""".

I like how Eggman behaved like a child.
    http://forums.sega.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=163480&dateline=14877  30777

Senior Member Crystal Chaotix 3's Avatar

I suppose I can see that. It came across really well to me. The fact that Tails didn't need to get all mushy and talky to get across that he wanted to really be Sonic's sidekick again and not just a sidekick was what I personally got from it. Plus, it's only 11 minutes. I wish it were longer but eh.

Quote Originally Posted by CJMoore25 View Post
    While you may call it bragging, I am one who sees himself as a cartoon connoisseur, having grown up with quality shows such as Animaniacs and Darkwing Duck, both of which happen to be my favorite television shows of all time. So, my thoughts:
    The first episode seemed a bit lackluster. It felt short, the plot was pretty messy, and I noticed a lot of missed opportunities for jokes; like that beaver guy, just think of all the gags they could have done with him they really tried. That being said, I'm not seeing this as a bad sign. A lot of popular cartoons had somewhat forgettable first episodes and turned out great soon after. Heck, The Simpson's entire first season was pretty forgettable. I doubt any of you even knew that their pilot was a Christmas special; great start. But anyway, it's the pilot. It exists solely to exist. Its job is to lift the show off the ground and give the viewers a taste of what their in for; and in that sense, it did its job.
    I actually liked the first one more then the second. But I liked them both so I guess it doesn't matter.

I thought they did the Beaver gags right. Just seeing Eggman smack it down the hill like that in the middle of it's groaning sentence got my laughter going.

Favorite Characters: 1st Place: Eggman, 2nd Place: Charmy, 3rd Place: Vector, 4th Place: Omega, 5th Place: Tails, 6th Place: Sonic, 7th Place: Rouge

Quote Originally Posted by CJMoore25 View Post
    ...Except for the opening. I mean, come on! You're not even going to use the actual Sonic Boom song for the theme song?! I am so tired of these modern cartoons and their lack of a proper theme song. I want a short but memorable ditty to hum in my head for years to come, I'll even take a cheesy rap song for Christ's sake!
    Seems like Japanese animes have better proper openings than cartoons in general especially with ending credits they even have something.
    Last edited by PandaChao~; 11-08-2014 at 06:51 AM.

I didn't like the first episode much, but the second one was pretty good.

Eggman was the best character by far.

Southwest Ohio (school year), Chicago (breaks)

It wouldn't have been so bad if this had been expressly intended for already-converted Sonic fans, but this is supposed to serve as, among other things, a crash course in the characters and their relationships. Hell, that was the whole justification for making Knuckles so burly, and I swear to Chaos, if they were just doing that to do it...

Page 3 of 514 FirstFirst 12345671353103503 ... LastLast