Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 41

Thread: Absolutely disgusted with the in game advert

  1. #11
    Senior Member Kokonoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,622

    Default

    Shame PSO2 had to turn into this. Well, least I can always go back to my favorite game in the series, PSO.

    -Much better balance.
    -Not overly perverted.
    -Not meant just for people who are horny.
    -Actual theme changing throughout blocks in a level.
    -Much more original and not PSU meets Monster Hunter.
    -Muuuuuuuch better music.
    -Doesn't have pointless skilltrees.
    -Faaaaar superior story.
    -Way more atmospheric and the graphics are better aesthetically.
    -Every weapon and move is useful, unlike PSO2 where we have a all of these photon arts and weapons and most remain unused outside of the definitive ones. If Photon Arts do this, we don't need them. Heck, PSU even did Photon Arts more balanced.
    -Can actually use Technics without being a Force.
    -Actually has diverse content and isn't soley based on rehashes of previous content and making a new outfit for your character each few weeks.

    This list can really go on for a while, but honestly PSO2 was a game that had potential to be PSU but better, but it fails to even be that. PSU is better than it at this point and that's honestly sad it had to happen. PSU and PSO at least felt more like a game and not some dress up simulator with T and A.

  2. #12
    Senior Member M4Dbrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    944

    Default

    I know this is going to be off-topic now, but I don't understand people that are on PSO2 because it's not PSO or PSU. Those people just refuse to see progress and improvements, because they don't want to see anything good in a game that is missing this or that feature that was somewhat cool in those games.

    Stop it. I can see plenty of reasons why PSO2 can be of a game for many people (and I listed those a few times in my posts). But I played PSO and PSU along with PSO2, and in those games retarded design choices were far more apparent.

    I have no nostalgic feelings for either PSO or PSU, but played through them and had a few legitimate enjoyment moments. But in all 3 of these games I found:
    - terrible or questionable balance decisions (or outright no balance in some cases);
    - unfairness and randomness;
    - something that could've been done better but wasn't cause why would they do better?
    - something that was done better in some part of the game and worse in another part when all the devs had to do is copy and paste;
    - many features (that every online game should have) missing completely;
    - bugs that never got fixed through game's entire lifetime, and everyone knew they never would be fixed;
    - minor annoyances nobody gave a hoot about.

    I will be fair - all of these games are inherently broken despite being fun. It took me 3 hours of playing PSO to realise it. I came to the same conclusion with PSU only after 50 hours. PSO2? I've been thinking that PSO2 was a perfect game for 1500 hours. Of course it's just my experience, but I didn't expect anything but fun times when entering these games. No nostalgia, no "why is this thing not in this game?". And I find PSO2 objectively superior, despite a few moments that made me want to break my laptop.

    Is PSO2 the best game of modern Phantasy Star? No, PSP2i is far closer to perfection with its simplistic but working roleplay model (Type Extend, rainbow collection, PA balance), incredible soundtrack (if you listen to original/arranged versions outside the game, that is. And yes, I mean both original songs and recycled ones from PSO and PSU), fun ways to fight enemies and fun enemies to fight with those ways. PSO2 messed up a lot of those things. Oh, and I heard Nova became great ever since Reflect Aegis was nerfed (or was it? Maybe it was).

    PSO sure has great progression system with its equipment variety and technique diversity, nice post-apocalyptic (I think I can call it that way?) atmosphere and nice art style. But you only have 3 types of attacks at most if you find one good weapon. If you are Force - forget about those. Instead you have to stick to 2 techniques that match enemies' element (you can't have all 3, there's not enough palette space for that!). Telepipe and PB tricks, "please buy a monomate for me", random random drop rates... EP2 zones look beautiful, but good luck finding anyone to play those if you aren't at least lv150 - it's BALLS hard (read: stat boosts and unfair attack patterns). Controls, the most important aspect of any game ever? Whoever agreed that secondary pallete should be overwritten by PBs is a literal retard. Whoever still thinks that lobby in PSO2 is excessively huge didn't try PSO - it takes less time to reach from Campship to Recycle Shop on foot in PSO2 than it takes walking from telepipe to medical center in PSO. And then PSO2 added catapults, so you move around lobby faster. And then they even added that shop to main menu, so it could be instant.

    PSU? Hoho. Photon Arts were balanced? Suuuuuuuuuuuure, it's not like everyone picked one with the highest ATP boost and PP consumption so they could spam exact same attack, taking breaks only for Shifta and Photon Charges. I wish PSO2 had 3-part costumes and freely adjustable lip color like PSU... but PSU wasn't a waifu simulator, oh no! Drinking animations in PSO2 are annoying, but in PSU you were invincible thanks to ability to heal in the middle of everything (granted, I find this ability useful in Infinity). Spawn mechanics are frustrating as hell (and that carried over to Infinity, dammit...). Finally, the sole reason that makes PSO2 superior to PSU despite every "regression":











    There's no beast kid puzzle.

    Alright, here I sharted on every modern Phantasy Star game. I see why people can enjoy these games - I enjoyed a lot in them myself. But I don't tolerate people on PSO2 ignoring its real strenghts: combat and convenience. Being limited in weaponry with 7-10 PAs per each feels restrictive at first, but at least 80% of your arsenal is useful to you. There's an actual depth to utilizing your moves. There's an actual timing- and skill-based combat, which feels especially exciting in Challenge mode, TDs, Angel/Loser fights etc. Is it not important for you? Alright, you don't like it and that's your choice, but don't you dare to on it and call it a waste of time.



    Oh, and an on-topic note: yes, this is normal in Japan. I know I always told people to forget about any kind of PSO2 except for Japanese servers, but this kind of thing wouldn't happen in any other release. Then again, as I used to say, this game is designed with Japanese mindset - if you are unable to tolerate stuff like this, you won't stand the game even when it's released in the West. And SEGA knows it.
    Last edited by M4Dbrat; 08-12-2015 at 07:05 AM.

  3. #13
    Senior Member Kokonoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,622

    Default

    Everything you said. I disagree with it for reasons I initially stated. If you think PSO2 is best balanced that's fine, but there's no way I'd ever think that after playing all 3 games for a considerable amount of time.

    My opinion is that PSO2 is PSU without charm and poor balance. PSU had far better balance overall than PSO2 could ever hope to dream to be and that's surprising since PSU had a lot of things going wrong with it.

    "Nostalgia" is rather pointless in terms of how I enjoy something or not. Nostalgia is just a memory of a good time, I still play the Phantasy Star series to this day and enjoy it just as much I did back in the day. I still love hot wings and I still love PSO. A true marvel in gaming and one of the best games of all time.

    PSO2 is a medicore Phantasy Star game but an above average MMO, however unlike most above average MMOs, it lacks anything outside of T and A to keep you for the long haul.
    Last edited by Kokonoe; 08-13-2015 at 02:57 PM.

  4. #14
    Senior Member Seigi Kisuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Where I live
    Posts
    2,933

    Default

    I bet PSO2 won't be mediocre to you anymore if it hits the West and your on there playing with your buddies daily

    you ever notice to when someone has some negative to say about the game (like OP's post) that they create an account name based of Sega made game or character? I mean come on, try a little

    I'm not a fan of that loli version of Fate Stay since it never peeked my interest but I'm not disgusted by it. However I am sick of all the Fate Stay Collabs we've gotten so fat and still expecting Sega to take the lazy way out and keep putting them in
    Last edited by Seigi Kisuke; 08-13-2015 at 05:31 PM.
    "The game is still delayed. SEGA is currently working on bringing PSO2 to the West and will update as soon as we know more." -Sega.

  5. #15
    Senior Member suketodara's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Manresa
    Posts
    5,716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kokonoe View Post
    -Actually has diverse content and isn't soley based on rehashes of previous content and making a new outfit for your character each few weeks.
    Say hi to the booma/shark/dimenian reskined family next time you see them for me, please, thanks. You can even dance around them since you know exactly how each one of them will move in the exact same pattern.

    While PSU was atrocious in the reskined enemies department too (even Falz got a reskined form based on deRol), PSO2 has managed to be original with most new enemies. Every now and then you see a new enemy that clearly is a reskin of another thing: Pendran and Blumetta, Sevanian and Itagi-zakri and... a bunch of mechs seem to be based on some known enemy, but that could be story related, the same with oceanids since they are all lab beasts created by a certain individual, but still Facility has some original interesting enemy designs and patterns, and what to say about Kuron, a house doll darker? a trial as creepy as it can even be where you only see the ghostly flames of certain kuronites? and I hope you have been around the last year, where we have piloted our mechs and fought agains 10+headed giants, and what will we see next? we will know this sunday, but as a start, we know about a certain new Falz that attacks you with... a moving castle.

    If you think clothes are the only content PSO2 receives you are very wrong, clothes are the equivalent to... Crazy Tune in PSO, and other weapons you got only at certain after-launch events.
    NISA does what sega don't.

  6. #16
    Senior Member Majarra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,147

    Default

    I think i understand what kokonoe means, and i feel the same. pso2 took the shortest amount of time to get into (speaking for me) and learn, but also burned out the fastest. i tried playing it at sporadic times and each time until i think november of last year i stopped playing within a few days. i finally got more "settled in" with the systems and all that, played around with different classes, stockpiled 10 and 11 stars, got premium for a month, got a decent palette and armor going etc. but after that and i hit 75 on two classes i couldn't really be bothered to get on anymore except to check the new lobby, eq, or challenge mode. some problems i have with pso2 are

    -being allowed to skip mobs on normal playthroughs. this makes everything except bosses feel worthless unless youre grinding items for a daily order. psu had its dry points at times but every week i felt like going through select guardians colony, neudaiz, parum, and moatoob missions because they were just fun to play through. sakura blast, seed express, dancing birds, lightning beasts, awoken serpent, true darkness and so on. plus there was always the chance of getting a rare mission which was like a mini event and nostalgia trip at the same time. seeing that pink text scroll up after clearing a mission is a powerful feel. anyone who has played psu knows what i'm talking about.

    -this ties into the first one a bit, a lot of the areas and normal spawns are worthless because of eqs and how they get all the action, boosted drops, boosted exp. a lot of the game is simply sitting around waiting for the eq because in 30 minutes or one hour, youll level up far more and have a much better chance of getting something than playing the game normally.

    -each class is bottlenecked with 2 or 3 weapons and the choices are much slimmer than in the past. i agree with trimming the fat but come on. hunters have no single sabers, slicers, or axes? ranger has no shotgun and is split into two classes that have rifle/grenade launcher and rifle/twin handguns?

    -not much to say on this, but i just plain prefer the old level system of psu where it was separated between character and class.

    -the events are incredibly lazy and boring compared to psu. psu events like absolute zero, shred the darkness, winter carnival, and 1up cup all felt like grand adventures with interesting mission layouts or bonuses. we had our nostalgia blast with MAG, we had our tie ins to psp2 and psp2 infinity (japanese server only but still). pso2 events just feel like extended eqs where you run around in a normal area and watch 11 other players tear through mobs like junk and wait for the score to be 1000/1000. except they last a month this time.

    -the pricing model, if $10 a month is what it costs to keep fun updates rolling in, its a cost im ready and willing to pay for. to be honest, as far as f2p goes, pso2 handles it really smoothly. but most of the money comes in from the...

    -ecchi, hentai, otaku crowds. now i am not hating on any of those things, lord knows i am not. but a big focus on pso2 is making girl characters as lewd as possible for people who just cant stick to regular adult entertainment. the english community is divided between these annoying kids who play dress up simulator who stand in the lobby all day dancing or elitists who chew you out for making the slightest mistake so theres no point in playing with people outside of my small group of friends. this type of split was seen in pso and psu too, but it seems more aggravating in pso2. i cannot stand that the games focus seems to be on fashion and playing dress up your space waifu. psu, and by extension psp, i feel hit the best balance between playing, hunting, and grinding moves and customization/playing around in the lobby. not to mention it gave you a full room to decorate and design to your liking rather than making you pay monthly for even that. i also feel like i saw more attempts at cute characters in psu, while everyone is trying their hardest to look as dirty as possible in pso2.

    the problem with pso2 is that it feels good to play because of the modern movement and combat systems, how agile and smooth characters and menus feel thanks to being on pc etc but just sucks to actually play. to me, it burned much much faster than pso or psu ever did. by april or may i've had my fill of pso2. i'll stick to psp2 infinity and the psu private server, should it ever be finished, instead for my dungeon crawling, pa spamming, monster shredding, cooping rpgs needs.
    Last edited by Majarra; 08-25-2015 at 03:39 PM.

  7. #17
    Senior Member suketodara's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Manresa
    Posts
    5,716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Majarra View Post
    -being allowed to skip mobs on normal playthroughs. this makes everything except bosses feel worthless unless youre grinding items for a daily order. psu had its dry points at times but every week i felt like going through select guardians colony, neudaiz, parum, and moatoob missions because they were just fun to play through. sakura blast, seed express, dancing birds, lightning beasts, awoken serpent, true darkness and so on. plus there was always the chance of getting a rare mission which was like a mini event and nostalgia trip at the same time. seeing that pink text scroll up after clearing a mission is a powerful feel. anyone who has played psu knows what i'm talking about.
    You do understand you are choosing to play this way, right? instead, I choose to play with different Client Orders from Hans, Kresida and sometimes Revelle so I need to, at the least, defeat 70 enemies and get an S rank. If a trial spawns I choose to do it or choose to skip it, and PSO2 has random parallel areas too, with boosted lvl 80 rare bosses waiting for you, not to mention abduction in Time Attack, if people skip those then it's their loss. But of course if I want to farm a boss drop, or a rare boss drop, I like having the option to run through hordes of enemies and encounter the boss directly. Kuron (the newest area) in the other hand forces you to get certain amount of kills before advancing to the boss.

    Quote Originally Posted by Majarra View Post
    -this ties into the first one a bit, a lot of the areas and normal spawns are worthless because of eqs and how they get all the action, boosted drops, boosted exp. a lot of the game is simply sitting around waiting for the eq because in 30 minutes or one hour, youll level up far more and have a much better chance of getting something than playing the game normally.
    That's why you do Client Orders, to always get a reward.

    Quote Originally Posted by Majarra View Post
    -each class is bottlenecked with 2 or 3 weapons and the choices are much slimmer than in the past. i agree with trimming the fat but come on. hunters have no single sabers, slicers, or axes? ranger has no shotgun and is split into two classes that have rifle/grenade launcher and rifle/twin handguns?
    So you prefer a Sword+Axe+Slicer that sum a total of 10 Photon Arts instead of a Sword that has those 10 PAs and more? comparing the amount of weapon classes of any previous game to PSO2 is ridiculous since each weapon has its own actions multiplied. Shotguns? I will guess you have not played Ranger in PSO2, because shotgun in the face is the most common attack at close quarters.

    Quote Originally Posted by Majarra View Post
    -the events are incredibly lazy and boring compared to psu. psu events like absolute zero, shred the darkness, winter carnival, and 1up cup all felt like grand adventures with interesting mission layouts or bonuses. we had our nostalgia blast with MAG, we had our tie ins to psp2 and psp2 infinity (japanese server only but still). pso2 events just feel like extended eqs where you run around in a normal area and watch 11 other players tear through mobs like junk and wait for the score to be 1000/1000. except they last a month this time.
    I agree PSU events were too good, so good you didn't even feel like playing outside of them, it was like let's play this month and let's rest the next one, that's why PSO2 has Emergency Quests, each week has some of those scheduled (the most rewarding ones), and you also have weekly great money income COs, or boost on challenge mode rewards, etc, for me this way is more addicting than a huge event that will provably burn you and then nothing.
    NISA does what sega don't.

  8. #18
    Senior Member NodMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Ult. SeaBed Lower Levels
    Posts
    5,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Majarra View Post
    Sorry this is all I heard when I read this.

    "You ever think Einstein, walked around thinking, people are dumb***t's?"

    "I dunno.. Probably. It explains why he made that bomb."

  9. #19
    Senior Member Majarra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by suketodara View Post
    You do understand you are choosing to play this way, right? instead, I choose to play with different Client Orders from Hans, Kresida and sometimes Revelle so I need to, at the least, defeat 70 enemies and get an S rank. If a trial spawns I choose to do it or choose to skip it, and PSO2 has random parallel areas too, with boosted lvl 80 rare bosses waiting for you, not to mention abduction in Time Attack, if people skip those then it's their loss. But of course if I want to farm a boss drop, or a rare boss drop, I like having the option to run through hordes of enemies and encounter the boss directly. Kuron (the newest area) in the other hand forces you to get certain amount of kills before advancing to the boss.
    its not that im choosing to play that way, its that the game rewards you for playing as such. just the option to even skip everything shows that the game was designed for such a way. its like the reflex mode in metal gear solid 5, if you dont use it if you get caught, everyone goes on full alert instantly instead of giving you a few precious seconds to knock the guard out. hans has good orders because it encourages you to play normally and not skip everything, but like all orders they make you wait 24 hours. emergency trial bosses are random, but a good thing when they happen. ultimate mode feels soul less because you cant kill anything without a full group right behind you attacking the same thing. i know they encourage team play but they're my least favorite endgame mode compared to pso ultimate and psu s2/3/4.


    So you prefer a Sword+Axe+Slicer that sum a total of 10 Photon Arts instead of a Sword that has those 10 PAs and more? comparing the amount of weapon classes of any previous game to PSO2 is ridiculous since each weapon has its own actions multiplied. Shotguns? I will guess you have not played Ranger in PSO2, because shotgun in the face is the most common attack at close quarters.
    well...yes i do. all the different types made for a variety of classes in psu (fortes who used everything with high power, acro who specialized in single handed things with increased speed, and master who used few but powerful two handed weapons with level 50 pas). then you had an oddball like protranser whose traps and tons of s-ranks became useful very fast, or pure support in the form of acrotecher but could also do melee or tech based damaged outside of support. there are a lot of unused PAs in pso2 as well, just with way less weapon types. i would much rather they cut all the classes and keep it hunter, ranger, force if they're going to impose such harsh limits on what you can use. give hunter all melee weapons, let ranger use all guns/bows and be more useful outside of weak bullet, let forces be both attackers and supporters instead of having to gimp itself to choose either one.



    I agree PSU events were too good, so good you didn't even feel like playing outside of them, it was like let's play this month and let's rest the next one, that's why PSO2 has Emergency Quests, each week has some of those scheduled (the most rewarding ones), and you also have weekly great money income COs, or boost on challenge mode rewards, etc, for me this way is more addicting than a huge event that will provably burn you and then nothing.
    i remember this mentality ("oh ill resub when an event comes") and i wont deny that i got tired of psu at dry times when sonic team neglected us. that is, until i started playing on the japanese pc server. outside of events though, like i said, i enjoyed running random missions thinking i'll get something useful like a kaos knight, or an adahna unit, or an agito repca board or...anything really. i could take on the highest level mobs by myself or have a friend join me to speed things up and we'd split the reward if we got something. sometimes i also liked walking around the different lobbies, or watching people lose silver or gold coins in the casino, or sitting in my room listening to the music and checking prices. i could buy any cheap 10 or 11 star board, bake that, maybe get a good percent or grind on it, and then just sell it for no other reason than because it was fun. i don't know if many other players did anything similar but i enjoyed the smaller things in psu to compliment the regular gameplay.


    but gone is that in pso2. my choices for high level characters are switching to a new class on the same character, but oh wait i would have to buy a new mag with real money so i can level up the proper stats for that class. i cant play around in my room because its barren unless you pay premium to fully utilize it. ultimate gets old real fast because of how slow everything dies and the drop rates are probably the worst they've ever been. there are no more lobbies to visit, just one bigger centralized hub. i guess floating around on the balloons in the casino is kind of fun. or i can do some orders that will give me nothing but money; money that is already worthless to me because my stuff is already grinded with high percents. i would like to buy more 11 and 12 stars but cant without paying real money and stockpiling them to exchange for weapon passes. can you even buy 12 stars yet? i don't remember. but i have some 12 star knuckles, rods, and twin handguns that are useless to me because i dont use those. so for someone like me, all thats left is sitting in the lobbies watching poorly dressed loli characters dance, reddit kids role playing in public, or everyone afk around the shop counter until an eq banner pops up when everyone suddenly moves again, squirming around like if you lifted a sugary treat that ants have completely swarmed.

    i think a shorter way to say all of this is: i dont like how pso2 is designed at its core. pso and psu lasted me years and were more bearable as far as repetition goes. i'm glad you can enjoy pso2 but it has nowhere near the same draw as the older games did for me. i still love the series but i'm holding out for the next entry.

  10. #20
    Senior Member suketodara's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Manresa
    Posts
    5,716

    Default

    Everything you said you did in PSU can be perfectly done in PSO2, every bit of it, and I bet that if someone put in front of your nose a direct copy of PSU right now your opinion would be the same one as with pso2. And I'm done with this, when it was the time of PSU many people anchored on PSO wouldn't see all the improvements PSU had, and right now it's the same, just switching PSO with PSU and PSU with PSO2. Maybe I am the strange one, since I can enjoy every entry of this series decade after decade, maybe there will be a time where I will also talk like an old dude about how good were the old days.
    NISA does what sega don't.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •