Thread: Insert Coin: Inside Midway's '90s Revolution

Default Insert Coin: Inside Midway's '90s Revolution

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...90s-revolution

Somebody is trying to do a documentary based on Midway's golden years. They've already done interviews with various former Midway people such as Mortal Kombat co-creator John Tobias and Kerri Hoskins Branson, the former Playboy model who had several roles in Midway's games including a cheerleader in NBA Jam, Head Mistress Helga in Revolution-X, the hostages in Revolution-X, Sonya Blade in Mortal Kombat 3, and many other games. They intend to interview even more people as the project progresses. The story of Midway in the late '80s and throughout the '90s is an interesting one because even though they were a corporation run by men in suits, their development studios were more chaotic and fun. Games weren't really planned out so much, but instead, someone would have an idea for a game and would make up things as they went along and these games would become big hits.

The Kickstarter initially had a lot of success, gaining a lot of support very fast, but it's dried up within the last week and a half and that's a shame. I hope it gets funded within the next 5 days because based on what I've seen up to this point, this looks very promising. Anyone who can fund this project definitely should. I've also been trying to promote this on both facebook and twitter.

They should cover their 80's period in-depth too, not just the 90's.
    -Proud to be a True Gamer-

Fluffy's Tumblr Page
    I love my Shadi-kun. <3

Quote Originally Posted by fluffymoochicken View Post
    They should cover their 80's period in-depth too, not just the 90's.
    In the description, they did explain that they would also be covering games that came out in the very late 80's such as Narc. The thing is Midway, as we know them started in 1988 when the predecessor company was purchased from Bally by Williams Electronics Games. I think they're ignoring the older Bally/Midway since they were mostly a distributer of other company's arcade games and instead are focusing on a specific time period when they ruled the arcades. In the description, they also noted that the title of the movie may not be final.

I don't know if they'll discuss the downfall of Midway. I imagine their exit from arcades will be discussed since they did show a video a few days ago of Mortal Kombat: Special Forces.

Yeah, but the 90's Midway arcade game design philosophies started with Eugene Jarvis and Defender in 1981, and continued with Robotron 2084 in 1982. These older titles of his are fundamentally 90's Midway games, and shouldn't be ignored in any Midway documentary. I mean these guys will talk about Revolution-X, but they won't cover Robotron in a history of Midway?

Not to mention, they'd also be skipping Gorf, Rampage, Tapper, Joust, etc.

I love 90's Midway, but I think the company's entire history should be covered. Perhaps this MK model guy shouldn't be the one producing it, as you know he's going to be heavily biased towards Mortal Kombat more than anything else.
    -Proud to be a True Gamer-

Fluffy's Tumblr Page
    I love my Shadi-kun. <3

Again, we haven't seen the whole thing. Some of those games might be mentioned as an opening to the movie, but for the most part, they seem to be focusing on games that were made after Midway was reincorporated in 1988. I'm guessing the specific reason they're focusing on the '90s era is because it was their most successful period. They had success in the '80s but they shared it with a lot of other companies. Much of the American arcade industry in the '90s belonged to them. So this documentary seems to be more about an era in arcade gaming that focuses on Midway rather than a documentary about Midway as a whole.

They shouldn't be ignoring their own company history. Even with the whole Bally/Williams thing, that was still them through and through.

Going back as far as 1958, they have also developed amusement machines and slots, in addition to pinball. And since they absorbed the Williams brand in the video gaming end of things, that too counts.
    KNEEL!!

Quote Originally Posted by voltz View Post
    They shouldn't be ignoring their own company history. Even with the whole Bally/Williams thing, that was still them through and through.

Going back as far as 1958, they have also developed amusement machines and slots, in addition to pinball. And since they absorbed the Williams brand in the video gaming end of things, that too counts.
    I should have just quoted the Q&A's on the Kickstarter. This isn't so much a history of Midway but instead a documentary about Midway's Chicago studio (now known as NetherRealm Studios) and the games that came out of there as well as the unique culture that made Midway Games Chicago different from the rest of the company. The documentary's director Joshua Tsui was employed there during the best years of that studio. He did specify that they would be talking about older Midway games from the '80s but only in relation to the games from the '90s.

So yeah, it's a documentary of a specific studio and the project has been funded. There are no stretch goals either.