Thread: Console vs Arcade! Discussion on the politics preventing games from coming home....

Default Console vs Arcade. Discussion on the politics preventing games from coming home....

Lately I was going through a post on some fan wanting VF6 and I brought up the issue that the fighting community is no longer anchored with the arcade scene due to the fact that in both the US and Europe, there are no real locations outside of some major area to make a release viable and I wanted to extend that on a number of other titles that have been affected, but also the newer ones that are being current holdouts. One major problem is we're looking at how japan operates and they believe a console release will kill venue profits. While this is true, they extend this to other territories where it no longer makes sense. If you're going to hold over a title and either keep it delayed/exclusive, you're literally denying others from ever having the chance to be part of that experience. I've not played either Rumble Fish or the new Penguno (examples) mainly because they're just simply not available and you can't order a copy online unless you want to purchase the actual pcb and we know how much that costs.

What are your inputs on this matter and how badly do these practices need to change? If arcades are dead, let's stop pretending overseas, even though on your end the market is still able to flourish....

Yeah I'd like to be like Diago and have a SF machine that I could practice on every day. (hmph!)
    Last edited by voltz; 01-14-2016 at 12:51 PM.
    KNEEL!!

playing tekken 7 with virtua fighter 6 nowhere to be found

i believe it does kill the profits that could be made at the arcade and i dont mind waiting for a home release and i think virtua fighter needs all the profits that can be made in the arcade being less popular these days but then there is the success of the dead or alive series which left the arcade scene totally sometime ago and i dont think i would say denying fans an opportunity to play it cause eventually it does come to console

I've been trying to run some searches on map locations and sightings for specific titles without having much success.

Most of the midwest/central US is clearly devoid of any places you can reach within 200 miles and while I've seen at least one or two of them still standing, they're clearly into this "Amusement" phase where most of the games are clearly ticket or side attractions as opposed to titles we'll take seriously. The best spots are around the coastal areas, including Texas, but you won't be catching anything of merit beyond those boundaries. One could try looking for those classic arcade locations everyone around the scene keeps talking about, but really who's going to afford the drive just for this?

This is specifically why I want Japan to change it's policies in regards to how they "hold off" titles for their console counterparts. Japan will have open access to these locals at just about every turn you can think of, but we on the other hand have no such luxury, plus it could be years before we're even lucky enough to come across that rare Blue Dolphin or Metal Slug 5 (which to this day I still haven't seen in person). It makes no sense to us that so many titles will remain arcade only or stay for so long and may never get to be experience simply because they want to keep this payola scheme going.
    KNEEL!!

I love arcades and prefer fighting game producers releasing games in the arcade well ahead of a potential console release. However, my problem lately has been SEGA's rent-only policy, meaning it is impossible for the general user to buy a PCB used. Before, even though the game wouldn't be released on console, we could at least pick up the game cheaper used at one point. Now, not possible at all...

I love arcades and prefer fighting game producers releasing games in the arcade well ahead of a potential console release. However, my problem lately has been SEGA's rent-only policy, meaning it is impossible for the general user to buy a PCB used. Before, even though the game wouldn't be released on console, we could at least pick up the game cheaper used at one point. Now, not possible at all...