Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where would you rather play your games from 2016 and out? Console or Arcade?

Default Where would you rather play your games from 2016 and out? Console or Arcade?

Awhile ago I was going about the studies of trying to figure out the current economy of the arcade industry and why it was has been practically dying around the past two decades. Looking at how technology evolves and the fact that people's habits change around them, being able to go to an arcade in this day and age seems "impractical" due to all the mobile devices and handhelds we have available. Also taking into account that emulation has pretty much killed off that purpose, it makes me question why we even have them around anymore? I've taken my look at sites like BMI to see what the gaming catalog is and due to all the known publishers who supported them earlier pulling out, we're strictly limited to having what is essentially ticket based carnevle games or games that run themes strictly for amusement. None of these games have that quality that says we really want this to come home and to make things even more appearent, the industry has taken note of this and no longer focus on the exclusive smash hit or AAA title.

I think the latest titles worth noting are Tekken 7, Guilty Gear and some fighting game based off Final Fantasy. All games are slated to a home release with FF giving at least a year exclusive (boo-hoo FF fans), but beyond that, arcades no longer serve any real purpose other then making the kids happy. Even japan has recently close somewhere around 350 locations, so it can be officially slated that we'll be seeing an end to this at some point in the near future.

Now I've already posted the question in the topic header, so I'd like to hear what your thoughts are, plus do you have anything to add in on arcade gaming once it has become a truly dead medium (by that, I mean as far as "REAL" arcade gaming is concerned)? My personal feelings are if I can build my own custom arcade cabinet and put any console in that, I won't be relegated to having to look all over the country for certain titles in the middle of bum@#$% nowhere while having to give coin-op operators their daily pay over what will only be a half hour for my once-in-a-lifetime encounter with said title when I should be allowed to enjoy to my heart's content in the comfort of my own home. In fact, this is exactly why I wish arcades were dead as I am no longer willing to accept it as the forbearing controller to all things in top of the line entertainment. The choice should be left in our hands as the way things are now.
    KNEEL!!

playing tekken 7 with virtua fighter 6 nowhere to be found

id much rather play fighting games inside an arcade and lets face it playing arcade games over the internet sucks and people also tend to talk less in person all them worthless internet tough guys you get on the console......
    Last edited by 9.9.99; 02-09-2016 at 08:33 PM.

Much rather play at the arcade. Especially on a japan candy cabs. Nothing like the warmth of crt and the quality of real hardware running. Playing a game on an actual piece of real hardware in a cab is a magical experience and while emulation is a more practical solution its not a magical feeling one.

I would love to play Tekken 7 on the arcade cabinet, but I am useless with the arcade stick, too used to the controller. :O

I would rather not be forced to run cross-country just to get what amounts to a half hour play time on the latest VF, SC, MK, MvC, KOF or TEKKEN. I have a nice lcd, arcade sticks and a decent setting that I can more then be comfortable with, while enjoying all the play time one could ask for. Like I said earlier, pop a console in a custom and you got something no dank local is going to be doing to restrict your enjoyment via their payola scheme. Also, since fighting game communities have banded together at home, getting together with a group of dedicated players and throwing money rounds +pizza is probably the best thing you could ever have. I've already seen some people who's game rooms are more then enough to put today's arcades to shame, while still having the likes of Journey jamming in the background. You typically don't get this type of fun like we did back in the 80's when we go out anymore and since it's now relegated to this kiddie "amusement" industry, I'm happy to keep it in memory, while having fun with folks who still know what it means to have a great time.
    Last edited by voltz; 02-12-2016 at 07:10 PM.
    KNEEL!!

playing tekken 7 with virtua fighter 6 nowhere to be found

no thanks id rather play it on an arcade cab and im pretty sure fighting games still have a pretty net code and i dont see that changing anytime soon and most good arcade sticks for a console cost will over $100 unless you make one yourself

Quote Originally Posted by TinkererTails View Post
    I would love to play Tekken 7 on the arcade cabinet, but I am useless with the arcade stick, too used to the controller. :O
    Tekken cabs 5 and up have a ps2 controller port last I saw them.

Although I have a genuine arcade cabinet at home that is always modified to use consoles with, I did this entirely for the purpose of tricking myself into believing I was in a real arcade. The fact that you can stop by the arcade on the way home from work and spend perhaps no more than 500/5/€5 or more is a great way to not overplay

Also, arcades are exciting because you never know who might be there at the same time, either somebody totally new or a familiar master. Seeing an unknown avatar online compared to a real person you never met before is a completely different feeling. Also, consoles always have some form of lag that is not as present on arcade cabinets and PCBs. If you switch between console and proper arcade version, you'll notice the small frame difference.

Thanks to the convenience of the home gaming, I virtually have no need to go to an arcade nowadays. I can just insert the cartridge, turn on the console, and play as long as I desire, at anytime. That said, it's a bit sad that the Arcade industry is fading away so fast...

As far as fighting games of course Id go with arcade. I'll play a person face to face a million times over the net. When it comes to shmups , I can go either way. Now the problem is, where the heck do I find an arcade!!??
    Playing some excellent Shmups on the Saturn!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast