Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is this game really that bad?

The Catastrophe  Title:     Black Fallen Angel

Quote Originally Posted by GaroK View Post
    But Generations and Colors are less fun.
    No. They are just slightly above SA2. And that doesn't take much.
    Check out Project Drive!

"Yami de shika sabakenai tsumi ga aru..."

The Catastrophe  Title:     Black Fallen Angel

Quote Originally Posted by Reichskommissar View Post
    One of the best Sonic games? SA2? SA2 can barely even be classified as a Sonic game, I mean 2/3rds of it have nothing to do with Sonic. And the last third is a poor and shallow attempt to a Sonic game.
    Completely agree.
    Check out Project Drive!

"Yami de shika sabakenai tsumi ga aru..."

The game is good fun once you can master the parkour. It does take some time learning, especially if you want to get Super Sonic, or just find alternate routes. But I personally found that just going from point A-B its a solid game in that regard. I actually applaud SEGA for trying to do something different with the game-play.

I find Lost World to be a decent game if you play it like any other Sonic title. Go from A-B. Wanting to see the alternate routes and getting all red rings for Super Sonic can be tricky, since the learning curve is a bit steep for the parkour. A good set of levels as well, also a good soundtrack.

It wasn't that bad. I enjoyed it for what it was. Wouldn't say it was the best there was, but still, I enjoyed it.

It's not bad and it's not great.

It doesn't really achieve its goal of making Sonic easier to control which was its main selling point unless you just couldn't react quick enough to the boost gameplay. It can at times feel slow and awkward.

MrFranklin "UltraHD Brotherhood" Grandmaster
    In celebration of fourth generation 3D graphics
    and the coming of Pro consoles.
    Join us.

All this discussion about Lost World is making me want to play it a lot. But I will try to keep my expectations at a medium level.
    Quote Originally Posted by knuckles20 View Post
    It shouldn't be that hard to say you like whatever game you like without saying bs like "it's way better than that trash game 'x' ", because that's how flame wars start.
    This is a secret
    Signature by Speendlex.

This game isn't very good at all. One of Sonic Team's major design goals behind Lost World was to make the franchise more accessible by making Sonic easier to control, but the controls ended up being one of the worst aspects of the game. The run button was a completely unnecessary feature. Without it Sonic moved unbearably slow and there wasn't any strategic point in using it either. In other platformers with a run features like Mario, running gives you a great degree of momentum that is sometimes undesirable during sections that require tighter platforming. But Sonic in Lost World controls extremely tightly even when you're running. With running being objectively better in every conceivable way, the run button becomes a "press to beat game faster" button rather than an option to make the game more accessible. A run button also does NOT belong in Sonic.

The game also never explained to you at all. Even being stopped for an obnoxious tutorial would be better than what we got, because trying to figure this game's mechanics out was a grueling effort. Tutorial popups also only appear on the gamepad's screen, making them incredibly easy to miss. There were no sections in the game where the player could safely play around with all the mechanics, like the charging homing attack, the spindash, parkour and especially the wisps.

The homing attack was also another misused idea in this game. They add two new abilities to it, the charge and the kick. They never tell you, but when Sonic locks on to an enemy, the homing attack is actually charging up power signified by the cursor growing bigger, but this adds nothing of value to the game aside from having to wait a little bit more to kill some stronger enemies. Sonic also gets a kick homing attack which is functionally exactly the same as the regular homing attack except it knocks some enemies away with the potential to catch enemies ahead of you. With the way it's designed it's either press B to homing attack or press Y to homing attack...it adds nothing. You also need to change up the kick move completely to kill Zavok during his boss fight in Sky Road, neither of which are never explained to you.

During interviews with Iizuka, he said the one thing that Lost World wanted to emphasize was the flow of gameplay, yet this is one of the least flowing Sonic games there is. Sonic's run is extremely clunky, killing an enemy with the homing attack stops all your momentum dead in your tracks even if you just bounce on them without using the homing attack, and the level design is full of unfun gimmicks. This game is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by GaroK View Post
    epic english
    I honestly think this is absolutely the best sonic game since SA2(the gameplay is still better than boost, but I agree the story is bad) but the mixed steam reviews are just huring my eye, I just don't understand it. Just because you had booring hold boost&jump before, so now "dat sawnic gam s 2slofw"? Someone please explain.
    Its pretty fun in its own right, almost as good as SA2 in my subjective opinion, not even close but I found it more fun than Colors, Generations and Unleashed blow it out of the water though

Bad is not really a good word for it, because it does'nt have any game breaking bugs or gliches. A better way to word it would be "boring".
    Your actions speak so loudly that I cannot hear what you're saying.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast