Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it worth it watching 90s Sonic shows?

Default Is it worth it watching 90s Sonic shows?

Title says the question.
    I'm an all-around Sonic games fan plus I've seen entire Sonic X and some episodes of Sonic Boom. In my opinion Sonic X wasn't really good as an anime, but has it's positive aspects, Sonic Boom just serves it's purpose well as a comedy series.
    My question is: Is it worth my time watching AoSth, Sonic SatAM and Sonic Underground? I haven't seen a single episode of any of them, I just seen few scenes and know they have little common with the games.
    Thanks for your answers.

If you want comedy, watch Boom and not AoStH, I find it better as a comedy.

If you like a darker theme, watch SatAM, I haven't watched it but it's okay I guess.

Don't touch Sonic Underground.

Oh and watch the OVA.
    Clark Kent the Wolf

Honestly, I don't like any of them, AoStH is a lame comedy attempt, SatAM was bogged down by disjointed fluff and furry romance, and Underground was also flawed with weak stories and occasionally weak action, and lots o bad songs. But my opinion doesn't mean much, everyone has different tastes.
    My NASCAR/Sonic Story! (Note: Please, PLEASE don't take this seriously)
    My Music Reviews!

Eh... I suppose it's worth a go if you want to see a different take on the blue blur, but experiences tends to vary from person to person.

Have only seen a small handful of SatAM and Underground episodes so I can't say much about 'em for now (I'll probably be marathoning SatAM pretty soon), but AoSTH is absolutely off the wall bonkers and I love it.

Last edited by NanoRim; 12-24-2016 at 02:24 PM.
    DeviantArt - YouTube - NewGrounds

Proud fan of both Mario and Sonic​.

The uniqueness of AoStH is that it's a Robotnik-centric take on the franchise. The bad guys may be perennial losers, but they have more fleshed out backstory and more often than not get the funniest lines.

Aosth is not worth the effort AT ALL. Horrible show.
    Haven't seen much of Satam, but it was pretty good.
    Sonic Underground was dragged down by some romance and bad songs, but was very good overall. You should watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    The uniqueness of AoStH is that it's a Robotnik-centric take on the franchise. The bad guys may be perennial losers, but they have more fleshed out backstory and more often than not get the funniest lines.
    Yeah, I like how Robotnik/Eggman was handled more in AoStH than he was in Boom.

Having a complete weirdo as your enemy works well in AoStH, but in Boom they made Eggman just completely incompetent in every way and kind of... depressing really. I mean, he literally can't do anything right and even Sonic seems annoyed with him.

IMO, Robotnik/Eggman should only really be done three ways:
    1. Make him a serious threat (SATAM)
    2. Make him an overgrown manchild (AoStH/Boom)
    3. A mix of both (Sonic X)

Boom does the manchild aspect all wrong, since they never really make him SEEM like a threat ever. AoStH on the other hand, gave Robotnik a lot of power and people were actually scared of him, but that may have been because no-one really got to see how he really is. Having him be a mysterious evil figure to the public, but then turn out to be an overgrown man child in reality works quite well, since he's still considered a threat, but can easily be thwarted by anyone who knows him well enough.
    Last edited by Takeshi; 01-06-2017 at 06:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1994 View Post
    God, even in positive air, you're all so depressing.
    Missed opportunities are the foundation of this franchise. The benefits of changes that add more IMO outweigh the reasons to not to.
    Every conversation is a battleground.

Quote Originally Posted by Takeshi View Post
    Yeah, I like how Robotnik/Eggman was handled more in AoStH than he was in Boom.

Having a complete weirdo as your enemy works well in AoStH, but in Boom they made Eggman just completely incompetent in every way and kind of... depressing really. I mean, he literally can't do anything right and even Sonic seems annoyed with him.

IMO, Robotnik/Eggman should only really be done three ways:
    1. Make him a serious threat (SATAM)
    2. Make him an overgrown manchild (AoStH/Boom)
    3. A mix of both (Sonic X)
    Let me go with the third opinion then. Others are just one-dimensional villains. Sonic X Eggman (as well as games Eggman sometimes) also often spoke with elegance, having quite a charisma so it's perfect mixture. Sonic still needs a side villain that reappears in the franchise and IS a serious threat and I don't mean team Shadow, 'cause they more often are with Sonic than against him, others are just creatures that Eggman used and then turned against him, but I'm already getting too far from the topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Takeshi View Post
    AoStH on the other hand, gave Robotnik a lot of power and people were actually scared of him, but that may have been because no-one really got to see how he really is. Having him be a mysterious evil figure to the public, but then turn out to be an overgrown man child in reality works quite well, since he's still considered a threat, but can easily be thwarted by anyone who knows him well enough.
    To me it seems you're talking about SatAM, aren't you? lol

Sonic OVA is the only one actually worth watching. AoStH has charm in how cringeworthy it is, SatAM is rather mediocre, and Underground is just plain bad.
    ​​

Quote Originally Posted by Smash The Oni View Post
    Sonic OVA is the only one actually worth watching. AoStH has charm in how cringeworthy it is, SatAM is rather mediocre, and Underground is just plain bad.
    Agree that those shows are bad.Haven't seen the OVA,maybe I should give it a chance.
    My NASCAR/Sonic Story! (Note: Please, PLEASE don't take this seriously)
    My Music Reviews!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast