Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Which crossover would work better - Sonic & Mario or Sonic & MegaMan

Both.
    DeviantArt - YouTube - NewGrounds

Proud fan of both Mario and Sonic​.

the Grand Universal Space Station, Helix Nebula

Okay, hold on, which megaman exactly? Cuz not all of them are about just jump n shoot & taking boss weapons.

Might update.
    PSN: The_120cxx
    deviantART

Quote Originally Posted by Reichskommissar View Post
    You were punished, in terms of time and speed. In the modern Sonic games they are not an obstacle, as the game will automatically take you through them. But in the good Sonic games you required a certain amount of speed and momentum to get through them, don't have that and they will not let you pass. How you passed them would also affect how much speed and momentum you had afterwards, meaning you could screw them and ruin your momentum if you didn't do them properly.
    I would hardly call that much of a punishment the only way you could run out of time in an old Sonic level is if you were really bad at it.
    Thank you for taking the time to read this sig. This sig loves you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcmadness View Post
    I would hardly call that much of a punishment the only way you could run out of time in an old Sonic level is if you were really bad at it.
    It's still a punishment. It may not be the most difficult, punishing or in other ways challenging, but it is an obstacle that impedes the player.

Quote Originally Posted by Reichskommissar View Post
    It's still a punishment. It may not be the most difficult, punishing or in other ways challenging, but it is an obstacle that impedes the player.
    Well yes you are technically correct. Still feels more like a novelty to me. Just something to emphasize the EXTREME aspects of 90s stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcmadness View Post
    Well yes you are technically correct. Still feels more like a novelty to me. Just something to emphasize the EXTREME aspects of 90s stuff.
    In several ways it represents Sonic and the series. It's the most iconic speed based obstacle in the series, being fully interact-able, with the ability to both gain and lose speed makes it an integral part of the levels and gameplay.

3D FI and onward, I'd agree with you. In the original Sonic, no.

Fair enough. Never thought much of them myself personally.

Wait we are really discussing running out of time as a speed based obstacle in Sonic?
    Do you know that Mario has that obstacle too, and that it's usually a lot more strict? And more iconic too? With the change of background music that later was also used for the final lap in Mario Kart, and those levels based on collecting timer objects in order to survive...

BTW Mario is slower than Sonic (ok I think everyone agrees with that) but it's not slow.
    Even being slower, speed is important, being heavily momentum based and requiring precision jumps; it is required to build the right amount of momentum and jump in a certain way in order to play the game, something that's extremely similar to the classic Sonic games, and I would say that in Mario, playing with speed and momentum is even more important than in Sonic, where speed is mostly there to highlight a canon trait of the character (even being worse, you can play Sonic with not momentum based gameplay and it's still Sonic, while if you do that to Mario you get a generic and basic platformer, that's why momentum and speed are important to Mario, it helps defining the gameplay).

Precision in Mario is extremely different than precision in Megaman, in Mario the precision comes from building up momentum and doing the correct jump arc, while in Megaman you don't need to build up momentum and you can control the character mid-air with no limits, so the precision comes from dodging obstacles while being in total control of the character's position in the space, not by calculating the correct trajectory of the jump that's heavily influenced by the physics of the game... that is something that make Sonic and Mario similar and Megaman a completely different thing.

Platforming gameplay in Megaman is more similar to stuff like Super Meat Boy or I Wanna Be The Guy, it's not a coincidence that those games take a lot of inspiration from Megaman.
    Does someone remember this?

This is pretty iconic to Megaman, and it is kinda a proof of what I said above.
    I really can't see any similarities between Megaman and Mario, except of them both being mostly 2D platformers.
    For sure Sonic and Mario are a lot more similar each other than any of them compared with Megaman.

If you talk about stories and canon, well Megaman and Sonic are very similar, and while Mario is still similar (due to the structure of the recurring evil guy taking over the world due to selfish and childish reasons and the hero having to reach him and stop his plan) but the themes are completely different and even the mood is kinda different, Mario being a bit more cartoony and light hearted.
    Last edited by Iko; 02-17-2017 at 06:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lordhouse View Post
    You just faced 'em.
    Wanted characters: Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Blaze, Cream, Big, Fang, Chao, Animals, Eggman.
    Favorite Sonic games: Sonic 3&K - Sonic 1 sms - Sonic Advance 2 - Tails' Skypatrol

Quote Originally Posted by Iko View Post
    Wait we are really discussing running out of time as a speed based obstacle in Sonic?
    No, we were discussing loops.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456