Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yakuza 0 Sales (VGChartz)

Quote Originally Posted by City Hunter View Post
    This is the biggest contradiction in Sega Japan.

Their current biggest series there, Yakuza, exists because they took the risk to make a new AAA IP back in 2005.

After that they started to play awfully safe showing that they didn't lerned any lesson out of this.
    "No pian no gain", you can play safe when you are safe (example when you're full of million seller games), but when you don't have many succesful series like Sega, you have to invest, invest and invest, new IPs, old IPs, everything.
    To be honest, they did invest in both new IP's and revitalisation of older ones. The thing is, most of them were failures, either financial, critical or both. Besides, they took plenty of risks during their 1st party days, and we all know where that brought them. So, I disagree, them playing it safe shows that they did learn and are acting accordingly.

I also disagree with the notion of "you can play safe when you are safe". When you are safe, that's when you can afford to take risks, as you still have something to fall back on in the event that the risk does not pay off. Taking risks from a position of instability and lack of safety is usually a sign of desperation, which inhibits rational thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Reichskommissar View Post
    To be honest, they did invest in both new IP's and revitalisation of older ones. The thing is, most of them were failures, either financial, critical or both. Besides, they took plenty of risks during their 1st party days, and we all know where that brought them. So, I disagree, them playing it safe shows that they did learn and are acting accordingly.

I also disagree with the notion of "you can play safe when you are safe". When you are safe, that's when you can afford to take risks, as you still have something to fall back on in the event that the risk does not pay off. Taking risks from a position of instability and lack of safety is usually a sign of desperation, which inhibits rational thought.
    Hello again guys. Them having the finicial trouble as they did when thet were 1st party was mainly a lot of dumb hardware decisions. I am not pretending to be a expert but as someone who has been playing Sega since the 80s and who has read countless Sega related books and materials and who has basically studied them for years , it had little to do with their actual games. I think Phantasy Star 1-4 was every bit as good as the old school Final Fantasies. Why did Final Fantasy sells millions and Phantasy Star barely a footnote? Virtua Fighter was and is a top tier 3d fighting game. I go go on and on. So, their games were rarely the problem . It was a cluster who know what between Sega of Japan and America. Tom Kaliske has admitted to that in many recent interviews. Japan was way out of touch. you should look up some of those interviews. Very insightful. Sega has always been magical in their games,but it was very bad hardware decisions that led to their downfall. It wasn't that they were taking chances with games but with silly hardware choices. BTW,I am enjoying this give and take with you guys.
    Playing some excellent Shmups on the Saturn!!

Quote Originally Posted by caliboy_hip View Post
    I don't mean this to antagonize but I kinda wish Sega would move on to something else already. I'm afraid that if this turns out to be a big seller they'll just keep milking the ever loving blank out of it. I'm happy to have seen all these Yakuzas, but Sega has SO many Ips sitting in hibernation. In my opinion they're 2nd only to Nintendo as far as depth of IPs.
    According to Nagoshi himself, his studio is currently working on something different. The problem here, however, is figuring out what he means by that, because the last time he used those words, he announced Yakuza Kiwami and Yakuza 6 at TGS.

Maybe it's not clear enough, imagine if they were playing safe 10 years ago and if they refused to greenlight the first Yakuza in 2005...
    No Yakuza series at all.

They took the risk and it payed off with a successful series in Japan.

Sega as 1st party lived as one of the industry leaders for more than 15 years.
    As a 3rd party with Sammy and under the guidance of lord Nagoshi, they become the underdog of the industry with a bad reputation and in barely 10 years they've risked to disappear from both arcade and console market.
    Yes we all know where that "playing safe" brought them...
    http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7352/11403311736_d9378cea2e_o.jpg
    We want Panzer Dragoon SAGA 2 RPG on PS4 and other home consoles, please Sega, please Nagoshi!

Maybe it's not clear enough, imagine if they were playing safe 10 years ago and if they refused to greenlight the first Yakuza in 2005...
    No Yakuza series at all.

They took the risk and it payed off with a successful series in Japan.

Sega as 1st party lived as one of the industry leaders for more than 15 years.
    As a 3rd party with Sammy and under the guidance of lord Nagoshi, they become the underdog of the industry with a bad reputation and in barely 10 years they've risked to disappear from both arcade and console market.
    Yes we all know where that "playing safe" brought them...
    It is clear, but you are ignoring the fact that Yakuza was one success story in a sea failed attempts. They took several risks, and most of them did not pay off, that's the point.

SEGA's 1st party days were filled with risks that ultimately not only did not pay off, but hurt them financially, in both hardware and software endeavours.

For the something different, I'm wondering if it's not Like a Mad Dog ? Yakuza with Majima as a mainly character. I can't wait to see what Nagoshi will do next but now, with the deception that is Yakuza 6 for me, I can no longer wait in peace with Nagoshi, I'll keep my doubts.

It is clear, but you are ignoring the fact that Yakuza was one success story in a sea failed attempts. They took several risks, and most of them did not pay off, that's the point.

SEGA's 1st party days were filled with risks that ultimately not only did not pay off, but hurt them financially, in both hardware and software endeavours.
    During the 3rd party era there were just a few real attempts at big console games, Yakuza and Valkyria, and guess what they both payed off becoming series.
    The ones that really failed were the sega published games (the one not developed by sega) like resonance of fate, mad world and similars.

During the first party days they took many risks and the majority payed off, the one that failed were abundantly covered by other successes.
    The real problem were the hardware sales of Saturn and DC and the huge debts during the Saturn era, that's what really ruined Sega as an hardware house.
    http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7352/11403311736_d9378cea2e_o.jpg
    We want Panzer Dragoon SAGA 2 RPG on PS4 and other home consoles, please Sega, please Nagoshi!

Quote Originally Posted by Unclekaz View Post
    For the something different, I'm wondering if it's not Like a Mad Dog ? Yakuza with Majima as a mainly character. I can't wait to see what Nagoshi will do next but now, with the deception that is Yakuza 6 for me, I can no longer wait in peace with Nagoshi, I'll keep my doubts.
    I'd love for that to happen. Majima was definitely the highlight in Y0, his fighting styles were just too fun to use. A game starring him as the main character would be awesome, with his combat styles being further enhanced and improved like Kiryu's were in Kiwami.

During the 3rd party era there were just a few real attempts at big console games, Yakuza and Valkyria, and guess what they both payed off becoming series.
    The ones that really failed were the sega published games (the one not developed by sega) like resonance of fate, mad world and similars.

During the first party days they took many risks and the majority payed off, the one that failed were abundantly covered by other successes.
    The real problem were the hardware sales of Saturn and DC and the huge debts during the Saturn era, that's what really ruined Sega as an hardware house.
    I totally agree. If I had to come up with my best logic and opinion, I would say it was all the add ons (32X Sega cd) and the Saturn that did them in. Especially the Saturn. Now as a passionate retro game player, I love my Saturn but at that time the Saturn was a complete mess.
    Playing some excellent Shmups on the Saturn!!

Honestly, the notion that the majority of their risks not only payed off, but also covered the failures is quite laughable. I mean, if that was true, they would not have accumulated that debt in the first place. The fact that they abandoned their IP at a steady pace, also suggests that those risks were not paying off.

Also, SEGA attempted more than just a few times of either creating a new IP, or revitalise an old one. Just because they weren't developed internally doesn't make it any less real.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast