Page 647 of 647 FirstFirst ... 147547597637643644645646647
Results 6,461 to 6,465 of 6465

Thread: The Sonic Forces Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by SonicNostalgia View Post
    I think Eggman had an entire base built underground, where he did research on the Phantom Ruby. He could easily hide there until the Sun fried up the surface and Infinite teleported it back to its original position.

Can anyone who's already finished the game confirm this?
    The sun is an illusion made by the Ruby, not the actual sun. But no, there's no mention of a base underground, he just wants to fry the surface. He's not going anywhere. I'd assume that because of how the Ruby works, it would only effect the planet itself and not Eggman.

In a house that's in a city that's in a state that's in a country that's in a continent somewheres.

So what's up with the avatar rental system in the PC version? 97% of the avatars I get in the sos missions there are stock starter avatars, but the Switch version has a much wider variety.

Quote Originally Posted by NixMaster View Post
    I'm pretty sure there was a daily deal thing this morning that didn't cost anything. I just tapped on it to see what the price was, since it didn't say what it was. Then it just gave me stuff.
    The Google Play one is a free promotion to encourage Android users to try the game. The Knuckles one costs 50 red rings.
    I played through Amy's portion of Sonic Forces, and enjoyed
    ITSMYTURNNOW93.EXE HAS ENCOUNTERED AN EXCEPTION AND NEEDS TO CLOSE:
    FLOATING POINT DIVISION BY ZERO
    Why are Sonic's friends not playable when they form the core of the resistance?

Just wait for it...

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity" -Robert J. Hanlon

In a house that's in a city that's in a state that's in a country that's in a continent somewheres.

Right, so here are my two cents. I've beaten Forces' main story mode three times, one time because of that aforementioned incident involving Steam Share and another reason I'll get to later, so I feel like I'm fairly well qualified to share my voice on the matter.

This past work week was really rough, and I needed something to kick back with, so I went ahead and bought the Steam version for $40. Now bear in mind that I was going into this with fairly low expectations for the actual gameplay, but that I also wanted to play this for a different reason than Generations or Mania, namely the avatar customization. There, I said it. So what did I think?

I like it.

Now people have brought up all kinds of flaws with this game, and while I agree for the most part about the kinds of flaws that are present, for me they did not bring the experience down in any significant fashion.

Sure the story has wasted potential and feels a bit incomplete at points, but I still think it's the best story we've gotten in a Sonic game in recent memory. The characterization is spot on for the most part, it feels like there are actual stakes, Eggman shows off his competency and his super powerful ally doesn't turn on him for a change, and there are subtle character moments in the cutscenes which I really appreciate. My main complaint is that it kinda feels like the story is afraid to fully commit to the whole war theme it introduced, and defaults to the cheesy "power of friendship" spiel from the likes of Heroes a bit too much towards the end.

The levels are short, and there are quite a few segments that require little input, but actually playing them, they are more branching and encourage exploration a little more than I expected. I actually had to put effort into finding the star rings and getting S ranks, which are definitely less insultingly easy than Generations' S ranks. Maybe it's because my priorities were shifted a bit compared to when I'm playing Generations or Mania, but I also found the short length of the levels to actually be a plus for the sake of replaying them to complete missions and unlock avatar accessories. If anything, I just wish there were a lot more levels that were the same length.

I stated in a previous post when I played the Switch demo that Forces had the best controls of any boost game I played. Full disclosure, this came from a very limited experience with a demo that only lasted a minute for each character, but I still stand by that statement....
    ...to an extent.

What still impresses me about the controls here compared to Generations is how snappy and responsive the control inputs are. In Generations, you always had this awkward delay between hitting a button and Sonic actually performing the action, which is not particularly conducive to a high speed action platformer. Forces fixes that.

However, what I discovered is that Forces handles its momentum in a weird fashion, where often you accelerate too quickly and then you can't control the trajectory of your jump, and even the standard jump has a bit of a weird arc to it which can make precise platforming more difficult than it should, at least at first. Don't get me started on jumping on multiple enemies as Classic Sonic. Do I carry my momentum or not?! Make up your flipping mind!!!
    Not gonna lie, this did lead to a few moments of frustration.
    But at the end of the day, it's nothing I haven't been able to get used to and at least somewhat come to grips with, which is not quite something I can say for Lost World.

Don't have much to say about the avatar customization except that it's the primary reason I've put as many hours into the game as I have.

Now on to that third story mode playthrough, at one point I was suffering from over exhaustion and was bed ridden, but I still wanted to play the game. So I went ahead and plunked down another $40 for the Switch version so that I could play in bed (Interestingly, the download size for the Steam version is 16gb while the Switch version is only 6gb), but I also bought it so that my sisters could play it without erasing the save file on the Steam version (It's a pretty big hit with them so far), and I gotta say, it's a very competent port. Some special effects and lighting are either pared down or missing, and the framerate is halved, but it's also always consistent with very few drops, and this version even feels better optimized in some key areas than the PC version.

One interesting difference between the two is one part in Metropolitan Highway. Unlike the Steam version, where Rouge communicates with you right at the part where you dodge the missiles, in the Switch port, she does so after that segment. Shortly after, you're boosting along this curved path, and the Steam version has ostrich robots running along for you to boost into, while they're absent in that particular segment on the Switch.

So to conclude, maybe there is a reason for those positive user scores on Steam and Metacritic...?

Oh and for those saying that this is the next 06 or Boom, or even worse than those, no. Not even close. You're being ridiculous, stop being ridiculous.
    Last edited by CHAnga; Today at 03:25 PM.

Page 647 of 647 FirstFirst ... 147547597637643644645646647