Thread: The Video Game Sonic characters can't have parents and relatives? 🤔

Question The Video Game Sonic characters can't have parents and relatives? 🤔

Hey guys. Based on what I've heard about the Archie Comics and SEGA lawsuit, I've found out that video game characters that cannot have any parents or relatives. If they can't have any parents or relatives, in the Sonic games, what does Eggman have a grandfather Gerald Robotnik and a cousin Maria? Why does Cream have a mom named Vanilla? And why does Knuckles have an ancestor Tikal along with her father and the echidnas? This is very confusing. 🤔❓❓

It's so that if SEGA decides on weather or not they DO have relatives, it doesn't cause even more retcons in the comic.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1994 View Post
    God, even in positive air, you're all so depressing.
    Missed opportunities are the foundation of this franchise. The benefits of changes that add more IMO outweigh the reasons to not to.

You're misunderstanding it. SEGA just doesn't want them to contradict the games. That's why they have mandates in the first place. If they do have relatives, SEGA wants to be the ones who created them. It's about brand consistency, not some irrational hatred of familial relationships. See, Sonic is their mascot, and nowadays they're very protective of how he's portrayed, because he's the face of their company.
    Last edited by Rapido Azule; 03-20-2017 at 06:27 PM.

Thank you Rapido Azule. I just got confused about the whole situation about parents and relatives. That's why I made this thread because I've been doing a lot of thinking about this.