Page 160 of 290 FirstFirst ... 60110150156157158159160161162163164170210260 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,600 of 2895

Thread: Sega System Speculation thread

Quote Originally Posted by yamibakura21 View Post
    Alright then, any grand ideas on what would be the perfect SEGA console??
    1. A mix of new age and retro gaming. Like now with XBLA but Sega style which would probably be much better.

2. Online support of course for multiplayer

3. Follow the trail blazed by Dreamcast. What are the present consoles missing now? Keyboards, mouses, fishing rods , light guns. Don't make a system based around motion controls but at least give the option of owning certain other ways to control your console.

4. Brightly colored games. Is color dead in the video game industry? Bright colors, Interesting landscapes, funny characters, exciting situations. Come on writers get a cup of coffee and think a little.

5. Chat rooms!, Forums!, and other stuff for only new Sega Console customers!

6. Take advantage of console based MMO's! We need more Massive Multiplayers that are not First-Person-Shooter.

7. Online tournaments and scoreboards hosted by Sega. Winning may get you some free downloadable content.

8. An easy way to switch and upgrade hardrives.

9. Bring back old Sega's intensity. Hire me! I will turn Sega around in 6 months.
    "I have a fever and the only prescription is more Dreamcast Games"
    http://the-coolinator-lounge.blogspot.com/

^Either that, or run the company into the ground

Well, one thing's for sure, 360 and PS3 fans are spoiled. Especially Sony owners with their Blu-ray this, and downloadble that. At this point, it would be difficult for Sony to offer anything next gen that isn't better than the first PS3's. That means there's a good chance that the next Playstation would be expensive all over again unless they completely overhaul the concept of how a "traditional" console is constructed. This may mean engineering out special (and pricey) hardware that a console really doesn't need but keeps the ability of that hardware intact in software form. They may take certain hardware specific tasks like playing actual blu-ray movies and stream them through the cloud, which already seems possible. I'm thinking that places like OnLive and Steam have a head start on what Sony may try to do down the road and then claim it as revolutionary and everyone will believe it cuz they're Sony. They're already taking baby steps with the Go by eliminating the umd drive and making pretty much all PSP content download only. But online streaming games may fall out of favor with IP's who put bandwidth and data caps on their users

I wonder if things like OnLive and OTOY could easily become a success in Japan. They've definitely got the bandwidth in the right places to do it. But that would mean that if Sony could do it, then just about any company with enough money under them could do the exact same thing. Maybe even Sega...The question is, would anybody here ever want something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Pun Laca View Post
    Well, one thing's for sure, 360 and PS3 fans are spoiled. Especially Sony owners with their Blu-ray this, and downloadble that. At this point, it would be difficult for Sony to offer anything next gen that isn't better than the first PS3's. That means there's a good chance that the next Playstation would be expensive all over again unless they completely overhaul the concept of how a "traditional" console is constructed. This may mean engineering out special (and pricey) hardware that a console really doesn't need but keeps the ability of that hardware intact in software form. They may take certain hardware specific tasks like playing actual blu-ray movies and stream them through the cloud, which already seems possible. I'm thinking that places like OnLive and Steam have a head start on what Sony may try to do down the road and then claim it as revolutionary and everyone will believe it cuz they're Sony. They're already taking baby steps with the Go by eliminating the umd drive and making pretty much all PSP content download only. But online streaming games may fall out of favor with IP's who put bandwidth and data caps on their users

I wonder if things like OnLive and OTOY could easily become a success in Japan. They've definitely got the bandwidth in the right places to do it. But that would mean that if Sony could do it, then just about any company with enough money under them could do the exact same thing. Maybe even Sega...The question is, would anybody here ever want something like that?
    As far as I'm concerned there are currently no plans to build a PS4. There's no trademark for it either, so it doesn't look like Sony has any plans to make a PS4. Which begs the question, could Sony actaully stop making consoles after PS3? After all they spent over five years building PS3.

I think the Wii virtual console, XBLA, PS-network are nickel and diming the people using them. People make fun of Sega all the time for rehashing stuff but that's pretty much all that these online networks do AND on top of that, not only do people have to pay for online connection but they have to pay an added online fee for the console's network.
    "I have a fever and the only prescription is more Dreamcast Games"
    http://the-coolinator-lounge.blogspot.com/

It may be their last "traditional" console. I wouldn't be surprised if they made a bare bones console and used cloud tech to handle the multimedia front. Probably not streaming games, but more like movies and stuff besides games that would otherwise need dedicated hardware in order to be used. Most infrastructures just aren't ready to stream everything yet. It's also still too hard to both ween people off physical media (since it's been around since the invention of media) and successfully market a console for $600 no matter how many meteors it can knock off their paths from striking Earth. What I don't get is that certain people apparently don't like having their PS3 being called a toy, but then many of those same people didn't wanna pay 600 bucks for it. I mean, it's basically a shadow of a non-upgradeable computer with blu-ray packed into it. $600 for a Playstation with blu-ray playback was supposed to be a steal, at least that's what Sony was trying to shovel at us. But it actually ended up putting Sony deep into the red. I guess we could blame it on Bushonomics, but the PS3 is mainly looked at by the general public as a game console (or as the media puts it, the ****ant Wii's competition ). And because it's looked at as a game console, which mainly plays games, it's...well, it's a toy, or, just to be nice, I'll call it an entertainment device. In fact, toy means that too, as well as a number of other things:

toy
    Noun
    - an object designed for children to play with, such as a doll or model car
    - an object that adults use for entertainment rather than for a serious purpose
    - (of a dog) of a variety much smaller than is normal for that breed (toy poodle)
    - a headdress of linen or woolen hanging down over the shoulders and formerly worn by old women of the lower classes (huh?)
    So pretty much anything that is used mainly for recreation is a toy. DVD players, iPods, etc. A bike can be a toy. A really expensive car that's only driven on the weekends is mostly referred to as a toy by their owners, and for good reason. The PS3 is no different. I mean really, how many PS3s are being used in offices across America? I've never heard anyone say "I sure hope my roomie doesn't try to hog the PS3 tonight, cuz I really need to knock out this dissertation before midnight." People buy $1200 laptops all the time, but they won't buy a $600 game console no matter how much extra neat **** it can do. Ever...
    Last edited by Pun Laca; 09-25-2009 at 12:09 PM.

So, what you're saying is that the PS3 is no longer such a hot deal because of it's graphical prowess and ability to play blu-ray? Or that it's never really been that way? What about the $400 PS3 Slim? Is it more reasonable now?

I don't know how well the PS3 has sold or what's the proportion to 360s and Wiis on the global market, but the most important feature of a gaming console is it's library of games. I don't really care if Sony or Microsoft call their machines "multimedia hubs" or some **** like that. We have arguably more powerful computers and laptops for that. The PS3's great selling point is it's lineup of exclusive titles and the viability of it's media format to expand upon those titles. It also doubles as a Blu-ray player and a host for an operating system complete with a browser, as well as free online play. A lot of university scientists are interested in capitalizing on it's processing power, reliability, and dispersal across the market to help computate virus models to better produce cures and vaccines. Basically, for $600, you can play solid exclusive games, multiplatform titles, and downloadable titles, as well as watching movies in the next media format, browse the internet, store photos and videos on a large harddrive, and allow for calculations to be run on it when you're not using it. If you don't already have a computer, that's arguably a sweet deal. If you do, though, it'd still probably be a good deal unless you'd rather not pay $600 to play games and watch blu-ray movies. That's where the market will decide in time whether Sony made a good investment or not. With the new PS3 Slim, it seems they're responding accordingly and allowing for greater affordability.

Blu-Ray is kinda turning into a technological dead-end. Sony thought lightning would strike twice if they based their new console on the hottest new media format. But what they didn't seem to grasp is that while Blu-Ray is miles ahead of DVD as far as sound and picture quality go, it's nowhere near as much of a leap forward as the transition from VHS to DVD was originally. Not only did DVDs offer better pictures and sound, but also other features, such as image galleries, actor/director commentary, and easter eggs. How often did we waste time fast-forwarding and rewinding through VHS tapes to find a particular scene? With DVDs, you can (usually) go straight to a scene through the chapter menu.

One thing that bothers me about Sony is their roots outside of the game industry but more in the home entertainment industry. To them, video games are just another form of entertainment, like listening to music or watching movies/TV. The same thing goes for Microsoft; for them, video games are just software like Word or Excel; just with an entertainment focus. But to me, video games are more than just software or a form of entertainment. I see gaming as more of a hobby. Sure, anybody can enjoy games they're not that good at, but to get the most enjoyment out of a video game takes time and skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringedge2010 View Post
    As far as I'm concerned there are currently no plans to build a PS4. There's no trademark for it either, so it doesn't look like Sony has any plans to make a PS4. Which begs the question, could Sony actaully stop making consoles after PS3? After all they spent over five years building PS3.
    Oh, didn't know that you had a say in whether Sony makes another console or not.

And the reason why they haven't trademarked a PS4 yet, is probably because when they first released the PS3 they said they were expecting it's "life" to be 10 years, rather than the typical 5-6.

HERE IS NEW SEGA RACING CLASSIC, presented from SEGA RINGWIDE HARDWARE!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3514/...6afe22e1_b.jpg

Daytona USA!
    "Sega, Bring back the outstanding classics that made you SEGA on your OWN CONSOLE!"

Page 160 of 290 FirstFirst ... 60110150156157158159160161162163164170210260 ... LastLast