Thread: I finally played this game. It was actually much better than I expected!

Default I finally played this game. It was actually much better than I expected!

So, earlier this year I bought a laptop that can game well (before that I used a 10 year old MacBook with a Windows XP partition, so I couldn't play much from this decade). And, I never got a Wii U, so I had no way of playing this game before. I always heard this game was pretty average, and from what I saw it looked pretty average too, so that wasn't really the first game I wanted to play when I got my laptop.

I ended up getting it during this Steam Summer Sale however, and frankly, I was impressed and thought it was much better than expected. In fact, I enjoyed it almost as much as Colors.

While Generations and Colors are some of my favorite games, Lost World is a nice change of pace from the boost gameplay. I originally despised the idea of having to use a run button; but once I got used to it I liked how it enabled the ability for more precise platforming without giving up the opportunity for too much speed. I'll always appreciate a spin dash in a modern Sonic game too

I liked The Deadly Six more than expected too. Sure, a lot of the fights with them were pretty easy, but the uniqueness and change from the typical Eggman robot boss made up for it. The final meeting with Zavok was probably my favorite; although it was pretty easy, it was much more fun and interesting than the final boss, which was just another "Dodge his attacks and then homing attack onto Eggman's big robot a few times" Don't get me wrong, Eggman is one of my favorite characters, but it was certainly nice to stop expanding the Eggman Empire and have a change of boss aesthetics and tactics. Now I'm certainly ready to see Eggman's robots again in Forces. It makes me more optimistic about having Zavok and possibly the rest of them back in Forces too.

Writing seemed to be better than Colors and Generations too. Story was average and not garbage, and a lot of the in-game lines were actually pretty good (although, in-game remarks have always been Pontaff's specialty it seems, Colors too). I still don't think Pontaff is the best writing duo in the world, but they're certainly not terrible in my mind anymore.

I haven't played Hidden World or the Nightmare DLC, but I'm eager to play them. How good are they to those that have played them?

Also, for those that did not like this game, I'm curious as to what your biggest negatives are. I just finished this game a few hours ago, so maybe farther in retrospect I'll be thinking about the negatives more. Although, overall, I really was surprised that I really enjoyed it.

Either you'll love it or hate it. Nobody is going to go in depth so I'll help you out. Look ATT all the average reviews for true honesty about the game's faults. Looking at the worst and best reviews usually have biases that aren't associated with the game.

Quote Originally Posted by the Ys guy View Post
    Look ATT all the average reviews for true honesty about the game's faults. Looking at the worst and best reviews usually have biases that aren't associated with the game.
    I guess that's pretty true with every game. I ended up looking up some reviews for it, and I understand how the level design isn't for everyone and complex controls that were unnecessary sometimes (that's what I came across as the biggest legitimate complaints at least). Didn't bother me personally, but I see why it would for others. For me it was probably the underwhelming ending that was my biggest complaint.

Quote Originally Posted by the Ys guy View Post
    Either you'll love it or hate it.
    I think that's what I didn't know going into it; I thought it was pretty much widely regarded as average rather than average because it is loved and hated.

i haven't really played this (and don't plan too), but it's good that you had fun with this game, and i'm glad you enjoyed it.

sometimes it doesn't really matter what the majority of the fandom thinks, it just matters what you like, even if it's an unpopular opinion. personally my most unpopular opinion is that i'm actually pretty fond of sonic 06 (though i do acknowledge the bad parts of it) so just do you! sometimes things surprise you when you least expect it.

Quote Originally Posted by rosedust View Post
    i haven't really played this (and don't plan too), but it's good that you had fun with this game, and i'm glad you enjoyed it.

sometimes it doesn't really matter what the majority of the fandom thinks, it just matters what you like, even if it's an unpopular opinion. personally my most unpopular opinion is that i'm actually pretty fond of sonic 06 (though i do acknowledge the bad parts of it) so just do you! sometimes things surprise you when you least expect it.
    Thanks That's all very true.

In the end all that really matters is whether you enjoy the game or not whichever reputation the game has. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by JanPřibyl View Post
    In the end all that really matters is whether you enjoy the game or not whichever reputation the game has. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
    Yep, guess so. Usually I tend to agree with the reputation and overall reception a game gets, but I guess this happens to be one of my exceptions. Thanks

-the tubular level design feels rather disorienting and jarry.

-camera can be a pain

-the homing attack is butchered. you have the ability of homing attacking enemies at once, but it just feels tacky and awkward. it's really better to just homing attack enemies one by one; flows more naturally. and while you can still homing attack enemies one by one in this game, it feels awkward and slow. there's also this new kind of homing attack where sonic does a kick, but it feels tacky as well. it's just a homing attack with a kick at the end; who cares? it's slower and more pace breaking, too. there are times when you have to use that kind of homing attack, but the game never makes it clear when you should use it instead of the regular homing attack. if you slip up and use the regular homing attack at the wrong time, you'll get hit, and since the game doesn't make it clear for you, it feels like a cheap shot.

-the double jump is even worse than it was in colors. in sonic colors, sonic was still able to attack enemies when double jumping. when he double jumps in this game, he's completely vulnerable to attacks. like, what? a single jump can attack enemies, but a double jump doesn't? stupid af. also, the double jump and homing attack sharing a button is awkward; you can often homing attack when you just wanted to double jump.

-jumping breaks momentum.

-parkour is wonky. you do it by holding onto the right trigger; since you're also gonna be holding the right trigger most of the time to run, expect to accidentally use parkour when you don't want to, like when you accidentally run or jump into a wall

-didn't you have to control the wisps with the gamepad's touch screen at first instead of just the control stick? i can easily see how terrible that must have been.

-the gimmicky levels where you turn into a snowball, skydive, fly with the plane, pinball, etc all suck.

-having to collect animals to unlock new levels screams filler

-and yeah, the story sucks. tails is too whiny, orbot and cubot are annoying, the deadly six suck, etc
    Last edited by bruh; 07-10-2017 at 10:20 AM.
    proud business owner

Quote Originally Posted by bruh View Post
    -the tubular level design feels rather disorienting and jarry.

-camera can be a pain

-the homing attack is butchered. you have the ability of homing attacking enemies at once, but it just feels tacky and awkward. it's really better to just homing attack enemies one by one; flows more naturally. and while you can still homing attack enemies one by one in this game, it feels awkward and slow. there's also this new kind of homing attack where sonic does a kick, but it feels tacky as well. it's just a homing attack with a kick at the end; who cares? it's slower and more pace breaking, too. there are times when you have to use that kind of homing attack, but the game never makes it clear when you should use it instead of the regular homing attack. if you slip up and use the regular homing attack at the wrong time, you'll get hit, and since the game doesn't make it clear for you, it feels like a cheap shot.

-the double jump is even worse than it was in colors. in sonic colors, sonic was still able to attack enemies when double jumping. when he double jumps in this game, he's completely vulnerable to attacks. like, what? a single jump can attack enemies, but a double jump doesn't? stupid af. also, the double jump and homing attack sharing a button is awkward; you can often homing attack when you just wanted to double jump.

-jumping breaks momentum.

-parkour is wonky. you do it by holding onto the right trigger; since you're also gonna be holding the right trigger most of the time to run, expect to accidentally use parkour when you don't want to, like when you accidentally run into a wall

-didn't you have to control the wisps with the gamepad's touch screen at first instead of just the control stick? i can easily see how terrible that must have been.

-the gimmicky levels where you turn into a snowball, skydive, fly with the plane, pinball, etc all suck.

-having to collect animals to unlock new levels screams filler

-and yeah, the story sucks. tails is too whiny, orbot and cubot are annoying, the deadly six suck, etc
    Wow, I must admit when I first saw you posted on this thread I did not think you were going to go into that much depth; thank you for proving me wrong. I think you bring up a lot of fair points in your critique. I personally liked the tubular design and gimmicky levels to an extent, but I can see how many could get annoyed by it. I think I had to go back maybe once to collect more animals, so maybe I didn't take that into consideration as much. I liked the kick mechanic with the concept that you can push enemies into others, but the game not making it clear when you have to use one or the other was certainly not a positive and I agree it felt cheap. Double jump certainly had flaws but I didn't notice them too much, same goes for parkour but jumping breaking momentum was certainly a negative too. Wisps certainly should have had a button the gamepad (the PC requires you to click using the mouse for wisps), and that did annoy me at the beginning but it's pretty easy to get used to it. As for the story, I thought it was decent but likely because in comparison to Colors and Generations it was an improvement, and I liked the Deadly Six as a change. The only thing I really didn't notice was poor camera work. But overall, you certainly bring up a lot of very valid points.

lol i only played a demo of the 3ds version
    proud business owner