Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A PS4/XBone shortage may be in the cards for the future

Default A PS4/XBone shortage may be in the cards for the future

As you all know, the Nintendo Switch is facing a supply issue due to shortage of LCDs and NAND Flash chips. And the reason is all pointing to Apple due to its upcoming iPhone 8. But that may not be the only issue.

It is said that there is a DRAM Shortage thanks to the iPhone 8. The PS4 Pro uses an additional gigabyte of DRAM. Unsure about the original since that uses GDDR5 Ram. On the other hand, the XBone relies on DRAM Memory, though the XBone X uses GDDR5. However, I've heard that GDDR5 Ram is based off of DDR3 SDRAM, which is also based off of DRAM.

The reason why I brought this up, is that I decided to look up the NAND Flash shortage, and found this article.

Over the course of this year, we have been consistently hearing reports surrounding DRAM and NAND shortages, causing a strain on supply and ultimately, pricing. When these shortages first crept up in late 2016, it was thought that everything would go back to normal in the second half of this year. Unfortunately, that no longer seems to be the case, with DRAM and NAND shortages now expected to see us through to 2018.

According to an analyst report over on Reuters, the growing demand for NAND and memory across the mobile and PC market is forcing some vendors to pay a significant premium in an effort to secure longer-term contracts for supply. One particular chip supplier admitted that recently, more than a few clients have moved to six-month supply agreements, taking the hit due to the financial premium in an effort to get enough chips for products. Typically, these companies would get by on quarterly or monthly deals.

Right now, it is believed that Apple buys around 18 percent of the world’s annual supply of NAND chips in the build-up to the next iPhone launch. Typically, companies would tackle this by building up extra inventory during the first half of the year. However, this chip shortage has been going on since late 2016, nobody has been able to build up much inventory at all. With the next iPhone set to hit in September, the squeeze on NAND supply could hit even harder.

Samsung unfortunately did not offer a comment on the report but we know that earlier this year, the company had to delay its 4TB SSD launch due to supply shortages. SK Hynix did offer a statement, telling Reuters that while the company has been meeting delivery dates so far, supply conditions are tight and inventory levels are at an all-time low. Things may pick up again in 2018 though, with Samsung and SK Hynix expected to begin production at additional factories.
    Source: https://www.kitguru.net/components/m...st-until-2018/

If this is true, then we may ether see a shortage of PS4/PS4Pro/XBone/XBoneX or a price increase due to the RAM Shortage. And sadly, this also applies to us PC gamers, who now has to pay more for RAM. And it really sucks as well. I was hoping for computer components to go down in price due to newer, better versions being released. But right now, it seems this isn't the case.
    Currently awaiting......Whatever.

Keep dreaming

Quote Originally Posted by Space Cat View Post
    Keep dreaming
    You think I'm dreaming? If there are PS4/XBone shortages, you know who to blame. Besides, PC gaming is gonna take a hit because of the RAM Shortages.

The cost of DDR4 memory is rising faster than previously anticipated and there does not appear to be any relief in sight, says DRAMeXchange, a division of TrendForce.

Rising memory prices has been the norm for the last several months. However, DRAMeXchange now estimates that the average contract price of 4GB DDR4 memory modules will go up by about 12.5 percent compared with the first quarter. That translates into a $3 bump (from $24 to $27), but what's troubling is that this is yet another price increase in what could be an ongoing trend throughout 2017.

"PC-OEMs that have been negotiating their second-quarter memory contracts initially expected the market supply to expand because Samsung and Micron have begun to produce on the 18nm and the 17nm processes, respectively," said Avril Wu, research director of DRAMeXchange. "However, both Samsung and Micron have encountered setbacks related to sampling and yield, so the supply situation remains tight going into the second quarter and PC DRAM prices will continue to rise through this three-month period."

Samsung's been mass producing 18nm DRAM products since the middle of the first quarter, though it hasn't been smooth sailing. Some of its memory modules are having compatibility issues with certain notebook platforms. As Samsung struggles to fix whatever is causing the high defect rate, its ability to contribute DRAM supply to the market is constricted.

Meanwhile Micron is facing its own issues. The company has been sampling 17nm memory products as well since the middle of the first quarter, but the overall transition is taking longer than expected. That means a delay in the mass production of 17nm DRAM beyond the second quarter, which will also contribute to higher prices.

"Besides the larger price hike for PC DRAM products, prices of server DRAM products for the second quarter are projected to rise by 10~15 percent sequentially on average," Wu added. "Compared with PC DRAM and server DRAM products, mobile memory products will have the smallest price increase during this three-month period, estimated at under 5 percent from the preceding quarter. The moderate price uptick for mobile memory products is mainly attributed to slowing shipments from China-based smartphone makers. On the other hand, prices of eMCP products are expected to go up by around 5 percent versus the first quarter due to the additional factor of NAND Flash shortage."

SK Hynix is the only memory maker of the big three that is not transitioning to a smaller and more advanced manufacturing process. As such, it's not running into the same issues, though it doesn't have the capacity to offset any shortfalls from Samsung and Micron.

The bottom line here is that RAM prices are continuing to rise. If you're planning a new build or upgrade and spot a good deal on RAM, you may want to grab it before prices get even worse. For help on that front, check out our guide to the best DDR4 RAM kits.
    Source: http://www.pcgamer.com/get-ready-for...emory-pricing/

If I wanted to build a new PC, I'm too little, too late to doing so due to the increased cost of RAM(And RAM for Video Cards)
    Last edited by Black_Diamond; 07-03-2017 at 09:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Space Cat View Post
    Keep dreaming
    What a very constructive post this was.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertette View Post
    Slow down there Charles Dickens, no one signed up for this forum to read a novel.

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Diamond View Post
    You think I'm dreaming? If there are PS4/XBone shortages, you know who to blame. Besides, PC gaming is gonna take a hit because of the RAM Shortages.

Source: http://www.pcgamer.com/get-ready-for...emory-pricing/

If I wanted to build a new PC, I'm too little, too late to doing so due to the increased cost of RAM(And RAM for Video Cards)
    PC gaming is already taking a hit. Ram has doubled plus some in only the last 8 months. 8gb of ram was virtually free months ago. Go look now and you'll cry. Graphics cards are in shortage too and even retailers are selling above msrp.
    That level of accomplishment when you've finally made it to someones ignore list! Priceless total victory!

GPUs are getting marked up because of cryptocurrency booming yet again.

That bubble will probably burst soon enough like it did with Bitcoin.
    Slow down there Charles Dickens, no one signed up for this forum to read a novel.

Quote Originally Posted by Clesarie View Post
    PC gaming is already taking a hit. Ram has doubled plus some in only the last 8 months. 8gb of ram was virtually free months ago. Go look now and you'll cry. Graphics cards are in shortage too and even retailers are selling above msrp.
    I'm already aware of this, Clesarie. Hence why I posted this. Hell, considering that consoles utilize similar parts to PCs(PS4s and XBone use x86 processors and GPUs supplied by AMD), I wouldn't be surprised if they did suffer a price increase or a shortage.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanine View Post
    GPUs are getting marked up because of cryptocurrency booming yet again.

I'm also aware of this stuff, Arcanine. I heard nVidia has been releasing Video Cards made for this kind of stuff. But don't count Bitcoin out.

Mining Bitcoins today is a fool's errand, BD.

It's the alternatives that are already showing signs of slowing down. Probably shouldn't get into details on this board.

Mining Bitcoins today is a fool's errand, BD.

It's the alternatives that are already showing signs of slowing down. Probably shouldn't get into details on this board.
    The mining stuff is actually pretty great. I can use my GPUs that I barely use otherwise since PC playercounts are a joke to make free internet money.
    Quote Originally Posted by pirovash88 View Post
    If I wasn't a Collector or Nintendo fan I would give my Wii U away at this point. I've gotten less time out of this console than my Atari Jaguar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaquaza View Post
    I guess it might be the genre, then. Call of Duty, Halo and such are exactly the same.

So how soon were you thinking when you made this post? lol

Also btw, have there been any PS4/XBO shortages like BD was predicting?
    -Proud to be a True Gamer-

Fluffy's Tumblr Page
    I love my Shadi-kun. <3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast