Thread: genesis/game cartridge storage help? How do store yours?

Default genesis/game cartridge storage help? How do store yours?

Hi all. I'm wanting to put all of my old sega collection of consoles & games together for safe keeping, and had a nifty idea of how to store my carts.

I'm also interested in everyone elses methods of long term storage for their games & consoles, so please post up with what you do/did!

I don't keep boxes obviously.

What I want to do is get a big rectangular trunk, and in the lid, install a clear plexy-glass door that covers the entire thing, with a rectangular skeleton along the edges of the inside of the trunk lid that have hinges and a latch so that it can be opened and closed. I want this to be large enough to store all of my master / genesis / 32x carts when they are standing labels up {170+carts}.

But I don't know if the material of the box will damage the open space of the carts. When closed, they will all be upside down and if the trunk has any dirt on the inside it will fall into the carts.

My main question is; what would be a good lining for the inside of this compartment? I was thinking of some plastic type sheet, but not sure if that would build up static over time and damage the carts. Wax paper sounds right, but that would look messy and with the effort i want to put into this trunk {i already have a giant SEGA sticker for it...}, i want it to look very clean and neat.

My second question is will storing the carts upside down do any damage to them? It might be a very long time till I dig into this thing again {i'm keeping one of my 4 genesis, a dc, and a saturn out for me to play with all of the games that I have doubles of + favorites I can't not play}. The major reason I'm doing this in general is because I'm about to invest in a next-gen console and need a lil room.

Will storing consoles on their side hurt them in any way? I was thinking of just bubble wrapping most of them, but I always see saturns as a fragile peace of technology and fear leaning it on its side.

Lastly I keep all of my CD based games in Vaultz cases, with manuals separate. These are the games I'll most likely not play for the longest time. 50 years of storage in these won't hurt them? I made sure not to stuff them in there so its not a tight close.

Thanks in advance for any help, and if anyone has any ideas what could further protect my goodies or their ideas for how they store stuff please say!

All of my old games are in a box. The systems (Genesis, Sega CD, and 32X) all in another box. I still have my Saturn out, but I never play it. The way I had my Saturn games (or -cases rather) was side by side. This wasn't a good idea. Dirt and dust would build up, or get between the cases. This would lead to really bad scratches.

So, if you have any CD/Jewel cases - it might be a good idea to get a soft cloth that can go between them.

what would be a good lining for the inside of this compartment?
    It depends how much you want to put into it. If I was going to go all out and do something 'facy'-ish; I'd probably line the insides with some sort of soft felt or other material.

I was thinking of some plastic type sheet, but not sure if that would build up static over time and damage the carts.
    Static may not be a problem. I believe that can depend on certain environmental conditions. Such as dry air, or if you clean the plastic with a cloth and wipe it too much. Sometimes this can build up a static field.

Will storing (carts &) consoles on their side hurt them in any way?
    No on the carts and consoles. Why? There's nothing inside of them that would bend or spill (like mercury or something). I'd be more worried about the outside of the console than the inside. If it's on it's side, then tips and falls on it's top - that could potentially damage a power or reset button/switch. But it'd be highly unlikely IMO.

They're designed to rest on their bottoms :P So why not just store them that way too?
    It's not about what you lose, but rather what you freely give.

As long as you have them in a container that will stay dust free inside, and you keep it in an area thats free from potential water or sun damage, you should be fine. We still have old Atari carts that work so Genny carts have a loonng life ahead of them still.

I would clean all the carts out before I put them into storage though so as any dirt currently on the contacts wouldnt have 10 years to do damage, and I wouldn't store them upside down as I dont like that idea.

You could always get the genesis storage unit that holds the console and a bunch of games. They sell on e-bay for around 10 bux usually.

The problem is the # of consoles & games I have. I did look awfullly hard at those cases. I have a gen1 w/ powerbase converter, frankin-genny {gen2 + cd + 32x}, & gen3, saturn & dc, and LOTS of controllers {ranging from wireless to the huge dc controllers and enough to have a 10 player saturn bomberman game...ya lots of space there}.

I really want to try and keep them all together if its at all possible, right now they take up three huge drawers in my room that could be space for cloths book & whatnot that I have laying all over the place.

Whats the best way to clean the connections on the carts before I store them? Some sort of alcohol? I see these official genesis cart cleaning kits on ebay too, but they only have a limited amount of swabs and i'm pretty sure if i were to get enough for all of my carts, i would be broke.

Would cotton swabs work the same?

Back in the day of the genesis, a SEGA rep told me to rub the connector on the game with a pink pencil eraser. I've been doing that ever since and it work perfectly for me. It's even better if you have a security bit so you can access the whole connector for cleaning.

As for storage, big lots sells these long but thin plastic cases. I use those to put consoles with their games and accessories in. You could try that...

All of my Genesis games just stay in their cases on a bookshelf. I only own 2 Genesis games that are loose carts, and they sit right next to my boxed Genesis games.

Most of my NES, SNES, and N64 games are loose carts, so I usually just keep them in plastic rubbermaid tubs I bought at Wal-Mart or Target. All of my controllers are either in drawers in an empty dresser I have or a couple of steralite storage drawers that are similar to the tubs that hold my loose games, but have 3 separate drawers on top of one another.

The bookcases I use I bought at Menards for $30 a piece and store most of my collection. I'm starting to run out of space, so I'll probably have to invest in a couple of more. The extra consoles I just keep stored away in a closet, and the 20 or so I have hooked up between my two setups, I dust and vacuum them with a brush tip about once a month. Nothing really out of the ordinary or expensive as far as hooking up or storage.

most are in a box right now. But all in there original cases or cheap cardboard boxes. When I buy used genesis games now I only buy them if they're complete so i can keep them in there case.