Great game, I love it so far. Haven't gotten bored with it and love the game but there are a few things I wish the game had that could've made it better.
I wish Skarin was a little more dynamic, well forget that, I wish he was a human being....he has no personality, he only speaks like maybe 3 times in the game....and he does not make you remember the game because of his role. Games like God of War, Devil May Cry, Gears of War have main characters that really stand out, that have a certain quality about them that separates them from other characters...
I wish the game had a better narrative, there are points in the game that I really had no idea what was going on or what I was supposed to do. Something was needed to "fill in the blanks" with what was going on in the game.
There should have been different weapons you could use, which could've added more depth to the combat, such as specializing in axes or 2-handed swords and having move sets that corresponded to that style...and merchants and blacksmiths would be more useful and significant....
The sound was great when it came to battle sounds and ambiance but there was almost no music. I didn't think this would've been a big deal, but after playing games like God of War, where the music sets the tempo of the action, you really notice things missing like that. Especially during the huge battles (which I thought was the most awesome feature in this game) was this component needed...
Other than that, I can't really think of anything that could've made this game probably perfect. Viking has awesome graphics, the water effects are awesome and the gory details are great. Combat is fun and fast-paced, w/o being too easy, adding tactics and strategy since you can't just run into 10 guys and start mashing buttons...which is awesome...
Sorry for the novel! Anybody else post what you think the game was missing to make it perfect!
In my opinion Viking is a great game but missing a few things:
1) Being able to issue commands to your troops like you could the dragons.
2) Enemy and Allie variety, way to much of the same thing and taking them down in the same ways.
3) Being able to ride mounts like Horses and maybe even the Dragons.
4) Enemy armies that really faught back, I mean they march on your forts, castles and towns trying to retake something you have taken or meeting them head on in a battle feild. Not always you attacking and them defending.
5) The sleath system could be much MUCH better with hiding behind things, and steath kills. So you could REALLY sneek into a castle and assassinate one of the leaders and sneek out with out anyone knowning a bit like the Splinter Cell / Assassins Creed games. Stealth could really be worked on.
6) MORE big battles. The huge battles were the games selling point but there isnt nearly enough of them in the final game. Having the enemy come and attack your towns and castles or meeting you in an open battle feild in formation could add 3 times as many big battles and mix it up a bit too.
7) Zelda style dungeons for Skarin with puzzles and challanges would be pretty awesome as an optional side quest at the end you'd get something awesome like a new power or weapon.
8) When youve killed the enemy in the area and the weather imporves animals like wild boar and deer should return to the world which you can hunt for food. food = health boosts.