Thread: What killed the Dreamcast?

Super Moderator - His High Lord Cromulensce cochrane's Avatar

Default What killed the Dreamcast?

Here's a good, unbiased look at why the Sega Dreamcast went south.

Basically, Sega didn't have a consistent vision on what it wanted to be to gamers, what with releasing such short-lived add-ons such as the Sega CD and 32x, and not releasing enough good games for the Saturn. Sega fragmented their fanbase to the extent that the Dreamcast wasnt enough to draw all the fans back together. Also, even though the Dreamcast promised (and delivered) the arcade experience in the living room, gamers had moved past being wowed by playing arcade titles at home. Their innovative titles such as Crazy Taxi and Jet Set radio weren't enough to overcome that.

The failure of the Saturn is what sealed the Dreamcast's fate, really. The Sega CD and 32X were notable failures, sure, but many people were still willing to give the Saturn a chance; after all, 3D was all the rage at the time, and the Saturn was one of the only 3D consoles out. With the Saturn's colossal failure, Sega lost practically all of their credibility in the hardware industry. There was no way any subsequent Sega platforms were going to succeed after that. Dreamcast had a good start in America, sure, but it was always obvious it wasn't gonna do well against the other 6th gen consoles. Sega dropping out of the hardware industry was already set in stone.
    Last edited by bruh; 07-29-2017 at 09:30 PM.
    proud business owner

Quote Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
    Here's a good, unbiased look at why the Sega Dreamcast went south.

Basically, Sega didn't have a consistent vision on what it wanted to be to gamers, what with releasing such short-lived add-ons such as the Sega CD and 32x, and not releasing enough good games for the Saturn. Sega fragmented their fanbase to the extent that the Dreamcast wasnt enough to draw all the fans back together. Also, even though the Dreamcast promised (and delivered) the arcade experience in the living room, gamers had moved past being wowed by playing arcade titles at home. Their innovative titles such as Crazy Taxi and Jet Set radio weren't enough to overcome that.
    Sounds about right. And even better, it's a perfectly impartial explanation for what happened to the Dreamcast and Sega's console business.

I think the Dreamcast was overshadowed by the PlayStation 2. That's just the way I see it.

I have read and studied plenty of this topic over the years. The short answer is Sega themselves and all the F ups of their past. The Dreamcast had to pay for Sega's past. 2nd is the amazing job Sony did with the 1st Playstation. The PS2 won by default before it even began. Fast forward many years later and the PS2 has one of the BEST libraries EVER. So, Sega themselves were the cause and the great job that Sony did was the final nail in the coffin.
    Playing some excellent Shmups on the Saturn!!

That video is right but also the PlayStation was one of the reasons why the Dreamcast failed. It got alot of SEGAs consumers

SEGA underestimated SONY by refusing to work wirh them on a new console aswell.

NINTENDO survived because their fanbase is more loyal than SEGAS.

DVD installment.

SEGA gave Sony too much time to announce and release the PS2. Their launch line up in Japan was questionable when the Saturn was doing well, and if 1999 was the target for the US, then they could have pushed the Japanese launch to March of the same year. It was hardly a bad system, and I don't believe in consumer trust, because the 90s weren't so widespread with information, when the Dreamcast was new without the company's name, according to its marketing campaign. Hardcore players would have known, but they had more than enough reasons to revisit SEGA, because their 2D fighters were there at least.

I would classify the consoles' user base in two groups: the casual crowd that was into 3D games, but on the Playstation, because they were numerous and cheaper; the core players who grew up with niche titles, such as RPG and fighters or shoot em ups, and found their place on the Dreamcast. It's obvious that the Dreamcast wasn't an RPG system, but the Saturn was in Japan, so the transition was made into the PS2 and, with its new action adventure titles in 3D, the US was taken. Without a supporting fan base in its homeland and the casual appeal overseas, the Dreamcast was bound to fail, but it's not due to consumer trust. That's hindsight thinking with today's available info. I've seen this video's theories all over the internet.

The Dreamcast's fate was entirely out of its hands at that point, as the video points out. Not to mention Sony's dominance in the market could've been avoided in multiple scenarios (SegaSony Console offer, Sony SNES-add on offer), which may have kept SEGA in the console market too. I think SEGA understands this too, hence why Dreamcast references in their current media (i.e. Unleashed cameo) aren't avoided in shame despite how poorly it ended up doing.