Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Resident Evil Revelations Coming to PS4

You're not going to stop bringing up scores for arguments now, are you? XD

In terms of structure, a fairly more interesting set-up (I'm talking plot), and said darker palette, there's just more that appealed to me in 6.

And I'm not going to lie, I even mean that it has better fanservice that appealed to me. And no, not that kind of fanservice, you gutter-minds, lol. It definitely came off as fanservice that 6 had the most returning veterans of any main series entry, probably even if we do count the spin-offs. All it was missing for me was Jill. (Apologies to Claire and Barry, but that's why they were in Revelations 2 anyway)

By contrast, 7 involves a completely new main character who is simply an average joe in a story completely separate from our previous main heroes. Yeah, to bring back that sense of vulnerability, which is essential to a Survival Horror atmosphere, we had to get away from protagonists who doubled as superheroes and soldiers with these automatic weapons. lol (Some of our RE heroes do seem rather superhuman, even when they aren't virus-powered)

Sure, not every part was of equal length, the castle was the longest while the island was on the shorter side, but together they make up about 2/3rds of the game. Exploration was only really a factor in the village, and even then only in some chapters/sub chapters, not all. So, the majority of the game was squarely action oriented.
    I would need to replay the game to verify whether that's the case or not. It's not how I remember the game but for now I can let it rest. I disagree, I feel that while RE4 was action-heavy at times, it also allowed itself to be a horror game and wasn't afraid to allow for downtime and allow exploration and non-essential backtracking. Something the other games you originally lumped it in with (RE5/6, and, I'd argue, Revelations 2) don't.

My view would be:

REmake= amazing game.

RE4= for its time a great action game

RE5= decent action game

RE6= mediocre game
    I understand where you're coming from (aside from what I feel is you overrating Resident Evil 6, haha.) I don't feel you're giving Resident Evil 4 enough credit.

Regardless, I don't think you saw this bit, which I edited in after, but I'll just repost;

I thought it committed itself quite convincingly to action, just as RE4 started slower during the village section it also eventually fully committed to action once reaching the castle

But the "village section" took up a far greater percentage of the main game than its comparative aspects in Revelations 1 and it was not interrupted by warps to corridor shooting missions, lol.

It definitely came off as fanservice that 6 had the most returning veterans of any main series entry, probably even if we do count the spin-offs.
    lololol. Whaaa?

The characters existed in name-only. They bore almost no resemblance to their past selves. Just seeing a character on screen isn't enough for me, especially with terrible gameplay, all action, and no horror. Blehhhhh.

I'm a huge fan of the series and RE6 had almost nothing that appealed to me. RE5 resolved....really, the entire plot of the series up until that point. It was a massive moment and a crazy cool end to a very large portion of the series history.

RE6 featured Chris Redfield (or whoever) on the streets of China, lol. It was Max Payne 3 if Max Payne 3 featured horrible gameplay. =p
    Last edited by ShadowLegend; 08-10-2017 at 11:50 PM.

Now Playing: Persona 5 (PS4), Hellblade:Senua's Sacrifice (PS4), Resident Evil 7 (PS4)
    Recently Completed: Mass Effect Andromeda (PS4), Sonic Mania (PS4)
    Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/NintendoSega54

Quote Originally Posted by Reichskommissar View Post
    REmake= amazing game.
    I fully agree with this assessment.

And given that RE2 is my all-time favorite entry, I get excited every time we hear more about the in-development RE2 remake. I'm hoping it can fully be for RE2 what the REmake was for RE1.

@SL: Hahaha! Okay, I'll call that baloney. XD

Even still, I made it very clear that was my opinion and appealed to me specifically.
    Last edited by Twilight_Jedi; 08-10-2017 at 11:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowLegend View Post
    I would need to replay the game to verify whether that's the case or not. It's not how I remember the game but for now I can let it rest. I disagree, I feel that while RE4 was action-heavy at times, it also allowed itself to be a horror game and wasn't afraid to allow for downtime and allow exploration and non-essential backtracking. Something the other games you originally lumped it in with (RE5/6, and, I'd argue, Revelations 2) don't.
    I lumped them because of how small, or relatively insignificant part that was of the overall game, and to some extent it was present in the other games as well and how each of them was heavily action oriented vis-a-vis the original RE games.

But the "village section" took up a far greater percentage of the main game than its comparative aspects in Revelations 1 and it was not interrupted by warps to corridor shooting missions, lol.
    The village took up about 1/3rd of RE4, and while it didn't have the same kind of warps, it interrupted the player with shooting segments on regular intervals.

The village took up about 1/3rd of RE4, and while it didn't have the same kind of warps, it interrupted the player with shooting segments on regular intervals.
    At the time, when it came out, there was nothing like it. You were locked inside a tiny cabin; enemies were pouring in. You had to face them all. It was a feeling of suspense that was horror.

In the village, you simply had to survive; it wasn't about killing a few enemies and then progressing down the corridor like it was in RE5/6/Revelations1/2; it was about running the eff away, it was about hiding in buildings, it was about maybe taking out the couple you could take out, but mostly, about surviving.

It was entirelyyyyyyyyyy different. It's a completely different direction. It was aiming to be a suspenseful horror game, not just a Third Person Shooter Action Co-Op Game like RE5, or a Third Person Shooter Action Co-op Game with Darker Colors and Worse Controls like Resident Evil 6, but it was a horror game with some terrifying action elements used in varying degrees throughout.

RE5 and 6 took these elements and attempted to make a game based entirely out of them. And so while I can understand why some would lump them together, they'd be doing themselves a disservice to lump RE4 in with what the series ultimately became when it tailspun and required a reboot.

Because RE4 was an incredible game.

Re5 and (especially) Re6, were not.

And given that RE2 is my all-time favorite entry, I get excited every time we hear more about the in-development RE2 remake. I'm hoping it can fully be for RE2 what the REmake was for RE1.
    Resident Evil 4 would have to be by far my favorite entry, though followed closely by Resident Evil 0 and then Resident Evil Code: Veronica.
    Last edited by ShadowLegend; 08-11-2017 at 12:04 AM.

Now Playing: Persona 5 (PS4), Hellblade:Senua's Sacrifice (PS4), Resident Evil 7 (PS4)

At the time, when it came out, there was nothing like it. You were locked inside a tiny cabin; enemies were pouring in. You had to face them all. It was a feeling of suspense that was horror.

In the village, you simply had to survive; it wasn't about killing a few enemies and then progressing down the corridor like it was in RE5/6/Revelations1/2; it was about running the eff away, it was about hiding in buildings, it was about maybe taking out the couple you could take out, but mostly, about surviving.

It was entirelyyyyyyyyyy different. It's a completely different direction. It was aiming to be a suspenseful horror game, not just a Third Person Shooter Action Co-Op Game like RE5, or a Third Person Shooter Action Co-op Game with Darker Colors and Worse Controls like Resident Evil 6, but it was a horror game with some terrifying action elements used in varying degrees throughout.

RE5 and 6 took these elements and attempted to make a game based entirely out of them. And so while I can understand why some would lump them together, they'd be doing themselves a disservice to lump RE4 in with what the series ultimately became when it tailspun and required a reboot.

Because RE4 was an incredible game.

Re5 and (especially) Re6, were not.
    Sure the presentation may have been like a horror game, but in terms mechanics, what you as the player did, and how the gameplay was setup was most definitely an action shooter. The moments of suspense and horror that you described were present in other RE4-styled RE games, such as RE5 or the Revelations games. The presentation and how successful that was may have varied between them, which would also explain why people prefer 4 over the others, but the setup from conceptual standpoint and mechanical interaction was very similar.

In regards to your description of the village, sure it was about survival, just as any game where you can be killed is about survival. But in terms of what the player did was very much "kill a few enemies" and when it was over you "progressed down a corridor". Coat it in whatever fancy description you like, but ultimately that is how it was.

All you're doing is playing down aspects of RE4 that in many ways differentiate it from its sequels.

But anyway I think our points have been made.

RE4 was most definitely a horror game. Sure the fast paced mechanics made it appear to be more of an action game, but it was first and foremost a horror game. Anyone who played the original games then jumped onto RE4 back in 04/05 would tell you they were scared shitless when they first played it.

SL you liked Zero? I thought it was boring asf.
    <a href=http://segabits.com/forums/ target=_blank>http://segabits.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Dynamite.png</a>
    Gamertag: Pirovash88

RE4 was most definitely a horror game. Sure the fast paced mechanics made it appear to be more of an action game, but it was first and foremost a horror game.
    Yeah for much of the game the enemies were used for fear; them showing up was not something the gamer was intended to be looking forward to; it was supposed to scare.

It's very different from 5/6 and the last half of Revelations, where the enemies were intended to be exciting, not scary, and they showed up constantly, with killing them intended as the "fun part" of the game.

And I did have fun with 5, but it was not the direction I'd preferred for the series to go.

Quote Originally Posted by pirovash88 View Post
    RE4 was most definitely a horror game. Sure the fast paced mechanics made it appear to be more of an action game, but it was first and foremost a horror game. Anyone who played the original games then jumped onto RE4 back in 04/05 would tell you they were scared shitless when they first played it.

Zero had the honor of being the first RE that I managed to actually play through to completion. I liked its story and both characters, and thought the settings were really cool and creepy and I enjoyed the team mechanic and final boss.
    Last edited by ShadowLegend; 08-11-2017 at 11:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pirovash88 View Post

It may have had the presentation of a horror game, but it was definitely an action game in regards to gameplay, structure, mechanics etc. And I was one of those that did play the originals before getting RE4.

with killing them intended as the "fun part" of the game.
    Except that is exactly what it was, even in RE4, killing enemies was the fun part of that game. And all of the improvements they made in regards to combat heavily suggests that it was intentional as well.

And I did have fun with 5, but it was not the direction I'd preferred for the series to go.
    Yeah, agreed. Also prefer the original style vs the action based style that RE4 introduced, even though it was a fairly fun game at the time.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast