Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Game Informer Interviews Masuda and Ohmori About Pokemon Switch

Their reasoning for not wanting open world is complete BS, why does the reason for exploring an open world need to be any different from exploring a linear world? You can still have the same incentives in open world as usual, finding rarer Pokemon, more trainers to fight, items and TMs to find to help power up your Pokemon. The only thing that really needs to change is leveling, they would need to implement a level scaling system so that the game can present a reasonable challenge regardless of what order you visit the areas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaquaza View Post
    I'd rather have a video game console that can't play DVDs than one that can't play video games at all. Amazingly, I've just predicted why people won't like the next Xbox.

Indeed.

On note of the interview, quite a bit of interesting things were said.

A strong first impression is going to be critical for the first formal preview, though that's likely a while off, to be fair. Just saying, it's the first core Pokemon game coming to consoles. That's...quite a milestone considering the franchise's age.

Now I wouldn't be opposed to an overhaul in the formula seeing as how the current formula has been done to death and a change of pace could do the series a world of good, but I'm just saying it's not necessary. The same formula can still work in open world.
    I'd rather have a video game console that can't play DVDs than one that can't play video games at all. Amazingly, I've just predicted why people won't like the next Xbox.

I think, while GF stresses this freedom to the player to come out with different experiences, they really care for control over how the player progresses. Take or leave it, Pokemon will never be that truly open experience.
    "I have friends I want by my side even if they're not strong. So if I don't get stronger, I'll lose all of them. I came up with a way to fight with all my might... so that I won't lose anyone... so that no one will go far away." Monkey D. Luffy

Quote Originally Posted by diakyu View Post
    I think, while GF stresses this freedom to the player to come out with different experiences, they really care for control over how the player progresses. Take or leave it, Pokemon will never be that truly open experience.
    Well then, I hope they enjoy losing sales from their audience. They can try to control the player progression all they want, but it's not going to do them a lot of good in the long run. The console market cares too much about free progression, and some of their existing audience probably does too. They're going to have to bite the bullet on this eventually. They're already recognizing that people want this kind of experience. Doing nothing about that is utterly foolish business.

It's gonna be like CoD. New system, same gameplay and engine.
    Quote Originally Posted by pirovash88 View Post
    If I wasn't a Collector or Nintendo fan I would give my Wii U away at this point. I've gotten less time out of this console than my Atari Jaguar.
    I guess it might be the genre, then. Call of Duty, Halo and such are exactly the same.

Quote Originally Posted by gligar13vids View Post
    It's gonna be like CoD. New system, same gameplay and engine.
    Nah, unlike CoD Pokemon actually does new things. People complain about Pokemon because the core formula doesn't change (and even then, some aspects of it actually did change in SM).

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt The Cat View Post
    Nah, unlike CoD Pokemon actually does new things.
    Both franchises do "new things". That doesn't stop them from both being incredibly stale, creatively bankrupt, factory produced garbage that hold on to archaic decades old design framework that barely made sense back in the time when game coding was a black art of silicon mummery, where acolytes of dark magic had to sell their souls to make pixels do anything more complex than be more than two lines bouncing a square in the vaccum of space.

Both franchises hit their apex decades ago at this point, and only has experienced waffling and half-hearted tacking on of pointless minigames that don't fix the core problems that have been there since the very beginning, and both still greedily suckle on the teet of cynical marketing strategies. Hell, I'd argue that Pokemon is even the WORST one about this, until Activision took the crown with CoD 4 Remastered.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt The Cat View Post
    Nah, unlike CoD Pokemon actually does new things. People complain about Pokemon because the core formula doesn't change (and even then, some aspects of it actually did change in SM).
    CoD made a title where it changed too much and the playerbase hated it.

The last time Pokemon had a big change was Gen 3. Gen 4 was Gen 3 with Wi-Fi and the newer gens have been rehashes. Even Sun and Moon don't look different than Gen IV.
    Quote Originally Posted by pirovash88 View Post
    If I wasn't a Collector or Nintendo fan I would give my Wii U away at this point. I've gotten less time out of this console than my Atari Jaguar.
    I guess it might be the genre, then. Call of Duty, Halo and such are exactly the same.

Quote Originally Posted by gligar13vids View Post
    CoD made a title where it changed too much and the playerbase hated it.

The last time Pokemon had a big change was Gen 3. Gen 4 was Gen 3 with Wi-Fi and the newer gens have been rehashes. Even Sun and Moon don't look different than Gen IV.
    I dunno. I think Sun/Moon has a much different stucture compared to the Gyms of previous Pokemon games.
    Currently awaiting......Whatever.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast