Thread: Films like Yakuza?

Default Films like Yakuza?

I just started Yakuza 0, my first Yakuza game, and I am in love. I love the balancing act -- how over the top so much of it gets while still grabbing you emotionally. The fact that there are very serious moments but the game doesn't always take itself so seiously. The intriguing storyline that contrasts perfectly with the open-world side games.

But the over-the-top, sometimes almost cheesy fight scenes are so damn entertaining while so cinematic. So could anyone recommend Japanese movies that have a similar style? I'm sure there are tons, but what are the four or five best-known classics in the genre that anyone who loves this style needs to watch?

So many excellent films to choose from, off the top of my head...The Wolves, Onimasa, Battles without honour or Humanity, anything with Ken Takakura in it and any of The Red Peony films.

The actor, director, comedian Takeshi Kitano features in Yakuza 6, which is out next year, his two "outrage" films are brutal, stylish and violent with a sense of humour about them, they might be a good place to start.

Graveyard of Honor (remake), Yakuza Demon, The Legend of Ando Family, The Man in White, Ryuji, Onibi: The Fire Within, Deadly Outlaw: Rekka, Agitator, Ambition Without Honor 1 & 2, The Third Yakuza 1 & 2, Tokyo Mafia: Yakuza Wars, Violent Streets, Cops Vs. Thugs, Street Mobster, Sonatine, Osaka Tough Guys

Sleepless Town.

Literally one of the films/books that inspired Yakuza. Set in Kabukicho in the early 2000's

Nagoshi liked it so much he brought on the author Seishu Hase to proofread Yakuza's script and help with the setting to ensure everything was accurate.

Edit: oh and "Like a Dragon" the literal Yakuza movie

Everyone should see "Like a Dragon". Personally, I loved it. The Kiryu character doesn't remind me of the Kiryu in the games, but the Majima character is SPOT ON. It's a great movie.

I love RGG series and yakuza movies, but Like a Dragon directed by master Takashi Miike is a trash film

Quote Originally Posted by Kitano-san View Post
    I love RGG series and yakuza movies, but Like a Dragon directed by master Takashi Miike is a trash film
    It does seem to be really polarizing among fans. Either you really liked it or really hated it. But it's worth a watch.

There is a Japanese TV series from 2005 called "Tiger and Dragon" the main character is very much like Kiryu, worth checking out, its a good series.

oh man, adding some suggestions here to my list - love yakuza flicks

for my money though, nothing ive seen has been more enjoyable than the aforementioned Battles Without Honor & Humanity, you get to see the families coming together across eras & it's just badass.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitano-san View Post
    Graveyard of Honor (remake), Yakuza Demon, The Legend of Ando Family, The Man in White, Ryuji, Onibi: The Fire Within, Deadly Outlaw: Rekka, Agitator, Ambition Without Honor 1 & 2, The Third Yakuza 1 & 2, Tokyo Mafia: Yakuza Wars, Violent Streets, Cops Vs. Thugs, Street Mobster, Sonatine, Osaka Tough Guys
    You have an awesome taste sir! I'm also a HUGE fan of Beat Takeshi, but unfortunately didn't get the chance to check many films by Master Miike. Can you please PM me a link to watch his films? I couldn't find most of the Miike films you recommended
    Last edited by YoungUnited; 09-14-2017 at 06:26 AM.