Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New protagonist moving forward.

hopefully not

This new guy has an interesting backstory, could be good. The games might have a different protagonist each time, with Kamurocho as the backdrop.

Quote Originally Posted by tsujigiri2015 View Post
    This new guy has an interesting backstory, could be good. The games might have a different protagonist each time, with Kamurocho as the backdrop.
    it makes no sense to mantain the series in Kamurocho without Kazuma.
    If Kazuma's story end you must also change locations and setting, otherwise what's the point to make Kiryu retire?
    http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7352/11403311736_d9378cea2e_o.jpg
    We want Panzer Dragoon SAGA 2 RPG on PS4 and other home consoles, please Sega, please Nagoshi!

Quote Originally Posted by City Hunter View Post
    it makes no sense to mantain the series in Kamurocho without Kazuma.
    If Kazuma's story end you must also change locations and setting, otherwise what's the point to make Kiryu retire?
    Because he deserves retirement.
    On a serious note, the franchise kept a certain degree of realism. That being said, how long should Kiryu keep smashing heads. He's turning 50 next year and we know almost everything about him. Goro Majima a fav favourite but he's even older. Imo Ichiban seems like a good compromise. Not a clone of any of these two, but a hybrid

Yakuza in Kamurocho works very well without Kiryu.
    Yakuza 4 proved that. Screw the rubber bullets, the game worked well with the other three. Hell, even without Akiyama. Saejima's and Tanimura's stories, missions and substories were excellent.
    Could be standalone games.

I'll have to wait and see, but as @IrishNinja said, the team has yet to make a protagonist that I haven't liked.

Only time will tell though.

Quote Originally Posted by junkpile View Post
    Because he deserves retirement.
    On a serious note, the franchise kept a certain degree of realism. That being said, how long should Kiryu keep smashing heads. He's turning 50 next year and we know almost everything about him. Goro Majima a fav favourite but he's even older. Imo Ichiban seems like a good compromise. Not a clone of any of these two, but a hybrid

Yakuza in Kamurocho works very well without Kiryu.
    Yakuza 4 proved that. Screw the rubber bullets, the game worked well with the other three. Hell, even without Akiyama. Saejima's and Tanimura's stories, missions and substories were excellent.
    Could be standalone games.

I totally agree that Kazuma story needs to end sooner or alter (and it ends in Yakuza 6), but i find pretty lame that only Kazuma retires and than we get a poor clone wannabe Kiryu (Ichiban) with a similar backstory (a decade in jail and then he returns to Kamuro just in time for a brand new yakuza cospiracy...), with same comrades (Majima is still there in Yakuza Online...) doing the same things that Kiryu was doing in the same old kamurocho.
    If that's their vision of "new" than I prefer to play with a 60 years old Kiryu.

At least give us a new city or a brand new location in Tokyo, with Yakuza 6 we see it in every fashion possible, time to evolve into new directions.
    We want Panzer Dragoon SAGA 2 RPG on PS4 and other home consoles, please Sega, please Nagoshi!

I totally agree that Kazuma story needs to end sooner or alter (and it ends in Yakuza 6), but i find pretty lame that only Kazuma retires and than we get a poor clone wannabe Kiryu (Ichiban) with a similar backstory (a decade in jail and then he returns to Kamuro just in time for a brand new yakuza cospiracy...), with same comrades (Majima is still there in Yakuza Online...) doing the same things that Kiryu was doing in the same old kamurocho.
    If that's their vision of "new" than I prefer to play with a 60 years old Kiryu.

At least give us a new city or a brand new location in Tokyo, with Yakuza 6 we see it in every fashion possible, time to evolve into new directions.
    Ok, as for repeating...many story elements kept repeating in Yakuza...right off the bat...Shinji, Rikiya..., prison time for protagonists, people getting shot by someone they beaten a moment before but forget to put away the weapon etc...

So the prison time thing doesn't bother me too much.
    And of course I love Kiryu. And Daigo. And Majima.

Yes perhaps a complete new setting would be great...but for now, what we get...
    I saw Ichiban and thought...ugly ma'er...
    and felt affinity towards him.

Can't say...he like the protag of "old boy", Trevor from GTA V and a Kiryu/Majima hybrid....that what came to my mind.
    I look forward to see more of him

Considering the story is usually written in a very constrained manner where voice actors reportedly don't know where it's going. Yokoyama - the writer and producers at RGG Studios - said so himself that he doesn't know how the story is going to end even after committing to it with recorded dialogue and cutscenes in progress and it really showed in Yakuza 5 and 6, which really makes me think that Yakuza 0 had a ghost writer or some kind of writing team because the plot is tighter than other releases.

As for the new guy? I think I heard from someone that he's probably Bob Utsunomiya without the make up, but I think at least gameplay-wise these guys have earned our trust and I'd give anything they make a shot, to a certain extent obviously. They did mess up Binary Domain and Dead Souls.

Quote Originally Posted by Diceman View Post
    Considering the story is usually written in a very constrained manner where voice actors reportedly don't know where it's going. Yokoyama - the writer and producers at RGG Studios - said so himself that he doesn't know how the story is going to end even after committing to it with recorded dialogue and cutscenes in progress and it really showed in Yakuza 5 and 6, which really makes me think that Yakuza 0 had a ghost writer or some kind of writing team because the plot is tighter than other releases.

As for the new guy? I think I heard from someone that he's probably Bob Utsunomiya without the make up, but I think at least gameplay-wise these guys have earned our trust and I'd give anything they make a shot, to a certain extent obviously. They did mess up Binary Domain and Dead Souls.

That's my fear, Kazuma Kiryu is a character born also thanks to a professional novelist, Seishu Hase (no wonder Yakuza 1 and 2 has the best stories in the series).
    Yokoyama is good but sometimes he just do a real mess with characters evolution, with some silly choices (rubber bullets) in re-using story cliches etc.

Now Ichiban is a character born from Yokoyama...

That's my fear, Kazuma Kiryu is a character born also thanks to a professional novelist, Seishu Hase (no wonder Yakuza 1 and 2 has the best stories in the series).
    Yokoyama is good but sometimes he just do a real mess with characters evolution, with some silly choices (rubber bullets) in re-using story cliches etc.

Now Ichiban is a character born from Yokoyama...
    You're right, the way they rush a story really shows. When it comes to Japanese promotion of Yakuza games what you see is what you get. They show their cards early and show all the things you can do in the game. I get the feeling that there is something great in store though, and before they show us more we're going to have to wait and see. So, I don't think there will be a lot of surprises, but it will still be a great game.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast