Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rumor: Shenmue 1 & 2 Pack for PS4 and Xbox One Possibly Leaked

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowLegend View Post
    I honestly think Shenmue III will satisfy true fans. It will not satisfy those who expect a $6 million game to revolutionize graphics the way 1 and 2 did. It just won't happen. This is a game that I predict will mostly be for the fans.
    "True" fans? Are we really going that way? What difference is there between those so called true fans and fans?

Quote Originally Posted by Reichskommissar View Post
    "True" fans? Are we really going that way? What difference is there between those so called true fans and fans?
    Well I mean it's like with anything, there's fans and then there are diehard fans of something.

There are Spider-Man fans who have seen and enjoyed the Spider-Man movies, but then there are other Spider-Man fans who have not only seen the movies, but who own and have read all the comics, who attend comic book shows, who know all the lore.....etc.

As with anything, some fans are inherently more invested than others. There are people who have been dying for a Shenmue III for 15 years and really doing what they could to keep the conversation going in the industry all this time, while there are many others who may have played Shenmue's 1 and 2, and may have enjoyed them....but that was about it, and they really haven't given the series much thought since and just aren't emotionally invested in the outcome.

I was that way with the Halo series; I played and was a huge fan of Halo's 1 through Reach, but haven't really played it much since and can't say I care one way or the other about it today. I'll look at a new Halo game with interest, but if it doesn't seem like I think I'll like it, I have very little problem skipping it.

I think these types of fans will almost no matter what be disappointed with Shenmue III because (I assume, we haven't seen much yet) its graphics don't match up with other PS4 titles, for example, and likely other things. But of course those who have been following the series over the years and who have seen how nearly impossible it was to get this thing made, and on a $6 million budget when previous entries cost $20 million+, will likely be much more forgiving of these issues. Because it'll be a game made, basically, for the fans who have been waiting for it for 15 years.

It'll be that game. (Well, hopefully, lol.)
    Last edited by ShadowLegend; 09-13-2017 at 04:29 AM.

Now Playing: South Park Fractured But Whole (PS4), Persona 5 (PS4)
    Recently Completed: Sonic Forces (PS4), Mass Effect Andromeda (PS4), Sonic Mania (PS4)
    Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/NintendoSega54

I think these types of fans will almost no matter what be disappointed with Shenmue III because (I assume, we haven't seen much yet) its graphics don't match up with other PS4 titles, for example, and likely other things. But of course those who have been following the series over the years and who have seen how nearly impossible it was to get this thing made, and on a $6 million budget when previous entries cost $20 million+, will likely be much more forgiving of these issues. Because it'll be a game made, basically, for the fans who have been waiting for it for 15 years.

It'll be that game. (Well, hopefully, lol.)
    To be honest, it's probably the opposite. Those diehard fans will be the ones most disappointed, having actively waited and been invested in the series for all the years, their expectations are bound to be higher. Diehard fans tend to generally be much more meticulous and demanding, and put in higher level of scrutiny of a given product and are generally the hardest to please. The more casual audience is more accepting, take things as they are, without questioning things too much.

The fanboys, the ones that take whatever they are given and like it, yeah they will have little complaints. But those people would be fine with a novel concluding the story. They aren't really worth taking into consideration, as they will accept anything regardless. Those will of course not be disappointed regardless of how Shenmue 3 turns out.

To be honest, it's probably the opposite. Those diehard fans will be the ones most disappointed, having actively waited and been invested in the series for all the years, their expectations are bound to be higher. Diehard fans tend to generally be much more meticulous and demanding, and put in higher level of scrutiny of a given product and are generally the hardest to please. The more casual audience is more accepting, take things as they are, without questioning things too much.
    I think our expectations for Shenmue III are just different.

You aren't expecting the developers to deliver. I think that they will, and am incredibly hopeful that they will release Shenmue III exactly as it was always meant to be. If they do that, I think the hardcore fans will love it, while the more casual fans will probably complain about how it feels dated when compared to Skyrim.

That's the scenario I envision, anyway. It's possible that Yu Suzuki won't deliver a game that the hardcore fanbase was expecting, at which point I'll definitely be critical if I don't enjoy it. But I don't think that'll be the case, I think it will be the other way around. I think they'll deliver Shenmue III, and I think people playing it expecting something fully modern will undoubtedly not understand what the rest of us were all waiting for.

Every criticism I've read about the Shenmue III teaser confused me; the facial expressions looked incredibly like those featured in Shenmue's 1 and 2; the Shenmue series was never really known for its facial expressions, it isn't Uncharted. The design of the villain looked incredibly like a Shenmue villain is supposed to look like.

Facial expressions are confirmed not to be final anyway, but if this is what people are going to be critical of, then it isn't likely to me that that they'll like Shenmue III even if it's the perfect Shenmue experience because they either don't remember what Shenmue 1 and 2 were like, or because they're expecting it to take the industry forward like Shenmue 1 did....but on a Kickstarter budget, that was never going to happen.

The fanboys, the ones that take whatever they are given and like it, yeah they will have little complaints. But those people would be fine with a novel concluding the story. They aren't really worth taking into consideration, as they will accept anything regardless. Those will of course not be disappointed regardless of how Shenmue 3 turns out.
    Yeah I consider myself a die-hard fan, but that isn't me. I'm fully expecting this to live up to Shenmue's 1 and 2 and if it doesn't I'll be very disappointed. But if Shenmue III plays like a modern-looking Dreamcast game with current gen enhancements, then I'd be stoked. I just want Shenmue III, lol. I don't care if it doesn't appeal to Fallout fans or whatever.
    Last edited by ShadowLegend; 09-13-2017 at 05:07 AM.

Recently Completed: Sonic Forces (PS4), Mass Effect Andromeda (PS4), Sonic Mania (PS4)

I think our expectations for Shenmue III are just different.

You aren't expecting the developers to deliver. I think that they will, and am incredibly hopeful that they will release Shenmue III exactly as it was always meant to be. If they do that, I think the hardcore fans will love it, while the more casual fans will probably complain about how it feels dated when compared to Skyrim.
    Doubt that will happen, as the backer campaign requires 11+ millions usd in order to everything they currently have announced. A goal I doubt will be reached, hence the final game will be a gimped iteration of what it was meant to be.

Every criticism I've read about the Shenmue III teaser confused me; the facial expressions looked incredibly like those featured in Shenmue's 1 and 2; the Shenmue series was never really known for its facial expressions, it isn't Uncharted. The design of the villain did too.
    Comparing it to Uncharted doesn't make sense, considering there's a generation apart between the games. Shenmue was known for facial expressions, and overall highly detailed graphics. When it was first released, nothing else was quite on the same level.

Facial expressions are confirmed not to be final anyway, but if this is what people are going to be critical of, then it isn't likely to me that that they'll like Shenmue III even if it's the perfect Shenmue experience because they either don't remember what Shenmue 1 and 2 were like, or because they're expecting it to take the industry forward like Shenmue 1 did....but on a Kickstarter budget, that was never going to happen.
    To be honest, with those kind of issues, I find it hard to imagine it being anything close to a perfect Shenmue experience. Shenmue has always been about immersing the player into its world. Facial expressions are definitely part of that.

Yeah I consider myself a die-hard fan, but that isn't me. I'm fully expecting this to live up to Shenmue's 1 and 2 and if it doesn't I'll be very disappointed. But if Shenmue III plays like a modern-looking Dreamcast game with current gen enhancements, then I'd be stoked. I just want Shenmue III, lol. I don't care if it doesn't appeal to Fallout fans or whatever.
    I couldn't tell to be honest, not with how forgiving you seem to be, or that claim of just wanting Shenmue 3.

Remasters are pretty much easy money; that's why they're happening so much now. Tough for remasters not to profit.

Sega chose not to do them for 15 years and went even further by forbidding their developers from even publicly mentioning the Shenmue series. Yu Suzuki did an interview about Psy Phi and they had to edit any Shenmue discussion out of it per Sega's orders.

So it wasn't as much that Sega didn't continue Shenmue, as much as they went out of their way to kill it.
    Well dude come on, the games did after all BOMB HARD!!! lol.

And I'm not just in the sense of not selling enough to warrant a sequel, but they lost their *** with the games and is one (of many) reasons why the dreamcast met an early demise.

So the fact that doing a remaster which would mean putting more money into a failed project to make a quick buck to me just seems ironic, but even if that was the case, do you HONESTLY believe that a remaster would really cash in?

I know a lot of people say that they love the games and have been dying for 3 for over a decade now, but the sales of the games prove otherwise, unless they emulated them.

Sort of the converse of the likes of Madden or Call of duty, everybody says that they're sick of them, they're tired of them, and yet people pay 80+ dollars for day one deluxe editions.

Like in music, everybody talks about how much they love early radio head and hate stuff like nickleback or creed, yet go to their house or check their phones and see who's albums they actually own.
    -Blackmage of the Sega Forums-
    Currently Playing: Ratchet and Clank (PS4)
    Bad joke of the week: "Why was Tom Thumb fired as an accountant? he always came up short."

Doubt that will happen, as the backer campaign requires 11+ millions usd in order to everything they currently have announced. A goal I doubt will be reached, hence the final game will be a gimped iteration of what it was meant to be.
    Well, they do have additional sources of funding, plus the backing (now) of a major publisher, so who knows?

Comparing it to Uncharted doesn't make sense, considering there's a generation apart between the games. Shenmue was known for facial expressions, and overall highly detailed graphics. When it was first released, nothing else was quite on the same level.
    Shenmue was known for mannnnny things it did graphically which were incredible. I don't remember facial expressions being one of them lol. But you may be right.

Regardless though, this is a Kickstarter-funded game. If some Dreamcast-era facial expressions are what I'll have to take to get Shenmue III, I'm okay with it. But again, I've been looking forward to this forever.

I couldn't tell to be honest, not with how forgiving you seem to be, or that claim of just wanting Shenmue 3.
    I do just want Shenmue III, but you know me man, lol; if I hate a game I'll voice my thoughts on it.

I was begging for Last Story on Wii for years, and when I finally played it I hated it.

Well dude come on, the games did after all BOMB HARD!!! lol.

And I'm not just in the sense of not selling enough to warrant a sequel, but they lost their *** with the games and is one (of many) reasons why the dreamcast met an early demise.

So the fact that doing a remaster which would mean putting more money into a failed project to make a quick buck to me just seems ironic, but even if that was the case, do you HONESTLY believe that a remaster would really cash in?
    I mean, not exactly. The original Shenmue was one of the best-selling DC games at over 1.2 million copies; so it pretty much sold what it could sell on that system. The sequel's release in the West was unfortunately botched, but had they developed a Shenmue III on the Xbox with II's engine....years ago, and taken a bit of a potential loss, that would have solved everything.

If they had released HD Remasters years ago to gauge interest, it could have solved everything. But yeah dude sometimes games bomb, it doesn't mean they don't get another shot now and again if they have large fanbases; the last Metroid game bombed hard, didn't stop Nintendo from announcing Metroid Prime 4. Will the game be profitable? Who knows, but sometimes you just gotta do that, you know? Ensuring a loyal fanbase sticks around is sometimes better for a company in the long run than immediate profit.

I mean, not exactly. The original Shenmue was one of the best-selling DC games at over 1.2 million copies; so it pretty much sold what it could sell on that system. The sequel's release in the West was unfortunately botched, but had they developed a Shenmue III on the Xbox with II's engine....years ago, and taken a bit of a potential loss, that would have solved everything.
    I really don't see how the west was botched, europe got the game for the dc, while the us got a xbox port, which actually came with some extra bells and whistles with better graphics, and a dvd of the first games cutscenes.

Yeah, the first game sold 1.2 million, and the sequel sold diddly squat for the dc or the xbox, mostly because nobody cared. And it wasn't because it was on another system, uber late to blame, hell sa2b was a late port and was one of the best selling gcn games of all time.
    But yeah dude sometimes games bomb, it doesn't mean they don't get another shot now and again if they have large fanbases; the last Metroid game bombed hard, didn't stop Nintendo from announcing Metroid Prime 4.
    FEDERATION FORCE IS NOT A GOT DANG METROID GAME!!!! AND TO HELL TO ALL THE PEOPLE WHO SAY THAT **** IS CANON!!!
    -Blackmage of the Sega Forums-
    Currently Playing: Ratchet and Clank (PS4)
    Bad joke of the week: "Why was Tom Thumb fired as an accountant? he always came up short."

I really don't see how the west was botched, europe got the game for the dc, while the us got a xbox port, which actually came with some extra bells and whistles with better graphics, and a dvd of the first games cutscenes.

Yeah, the first game sold 1.2 million, and the sequel sold diddly squat for the dc or the xbox, mostly because nobody cared. And it wasn't because it was on another system, uber late to blame, hell sa2b was a late port and was one of the best selling gcn games of all time.
    But SA2:B was actually marketed.

Shenmue II had better marketing for the Dreamcast (before it was cancelled) than Microsoft bothered to do for the Xbox version.

FEDERATION FORCE IS NOT A GOT DANG METROID GAME!!!! AND TO HELL TO ALL THE PEOPLE WHO SAY THAT **** IS CANON!!!
    I'm talking about Other M. I barely even acknowledge Federation Force exists, lol.

FF is supposed to lead into MP4...if Tanabe sticks with his original plan. (Please don't leave that cliffhanger unresolved. Bad enough I once thought Prime 3's 100% ending was a permanent cliffhanger)

I'm confused, though. This convo for a possible Shenmue remaster seems all over the place.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast