Thread: Is it normal for Sega cartridges to require less cleaning than Nintendo?

Default Is it normal for Sega cartridges to require less cleaning than Nintendo?

A couple of years ago I picked up a Sega Genesis console (minus the AC adapter and AV cord) and a few dozen games as a box lot at a yard sale. As a Nintendo junkie, I was pretty psyched to pick up something different, but bummed when I got home and couldn't get it working. I'm not sure whether I didn't have the right power cord (though the power light was coming on), or maybe the AV cable, or -- most likely -- the console didn't work. I put it in the closet, figuring I'd find a console one day.

Last week, I found one, though it's the ATGames console that I've read enough to know that you folks don't care much for. But it works, at least. I've been surprised to find, though, that I'm having a pretty high "working" rate on the Sega cartridges without cleaning the contacts. Typically when I pick up a Nintendo lot, I have to clean 80-90% of them to get them to work. Thus far with the Sega, nearly all of them work right out of the box, including the ones that have been sitting for a couple years.

Is that typical? I plan on selling some of the duplicates and the ones I have no interest in (Lion King, anyone...?), but if it's actually a case of the ATGames console somehow reading through the crud better than the original Sega consoles, I don't want to unwittingly sell something that works great on what I'm using, but doesn't work on an original Sega.

Is that typical, for so few of the games to need cleaning?

Thanks!

in my experience yes, and i'd wager a lot of that is keeping games in provided clamshells (thanks, sega! well...right up about the mid 90s anyway, haha) vs cardboard boxes that almost no one kept. leaving carts out - even when you don't play them - gets lots of dust/etc real quick.

Thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned that most of these aren't in clamshells. When I said "out of the box", I meant the box lot that I had picked up.

right, but there's no way of knowing how much of their life they spent in said shells. additionally, some systems are pickier than others, and NES' are notorious about blue screens/etc due to their wonky design.

as for your genesis though: if the power's lighting up, yeah id make sure the AV cables are working properly. most times ive seen systems from that era not work, it was fuse (power) related, i wanna say!