Thread: Sonic mania's bonus stages

Senior Member Aaronterasu Okami's Avatar

Default Sonic mania's bonus stages

When you complete bonus stages you are rewarded with gold and silver medals which unlock a debug mode and abilities like the "super peel out" and "insta Shield" plus an "& knuckles" mode that let's knuckles tag along when playing as just Sonic or just tails or lol knuckles to tag along with knuckles but I just call him knock knock which is what the game says when it is unlocked stating "knock knock & knuckles"

Anyways, how many of you completed either most of the bonus stages or 100% completed them or have you given up after a few tries?

So far I have collected 2 gold medals and 16 silver medals.

I completed enough of the bonus stages to get all the extras you mentioned, but I stopped at the last three. Something about them just gives me trouble. I collected 6 gold medals and the rest were silvers.

/Tails & Knuckles best mode

All of them, gold.

On a first try, I managed to rack up a bit over 2/3 of the gold medals, and a few silver ones.

In the following attempts I managed to start getting the remaining gold medals.

I did super well at first, but I started getting tired by the 23rd medal and started slipping. Guess I'm not 10 anymore.

I'M a big fan of Blue Spheres. Played a lot of the ones included in the Sonic 1 & Knuckles cartidges.
    http://orig07.deviantart.net/050d/f/2016/250/f/8/sonic_mania_trailer_mugshots___dlc_by_diegichigo-dagvyp1.gif

I got half the golds first run, and like all but a few of the rest silvers. Helped I ran through S3&K just before Mania released. Many of them are lifted straight outta that game.

Took me FOREVER to figure out the trick to getting the gold medal on the one with only 4 spheres.

Quote Originally Posted by Clocktopus View Post
    I got half the golds first run, and like all but a few of the rest silvers. Helped I ran through S3&K just before Mania released. Many of them are lifted straight outta that game.

Took me FOREVER to figure out the trick to getting the gold medal on the one with only 4 spheres.
    Same! That was my last one!
    Had to use paper and pen to redraw the layout and form a strategy.
    Last time I did this, was to get the achievement for getting every ring in one of S4:E2's Special Stages.
    http://orig07.deviantart.net/050d/f/2016/250/f/8/sonic_mania_trailer_mugshots___dlc_by_diegichigo-dagvyp1.gif

All silver medals so far, and 22 gold medals. On my first run through, I didn't bother getting all rings but prioritized completing the stages to unlock the extras.

Bonus stage 31 (an inwards spiral) drove me nuts until I figured out a way to get to the center and going through it the other direction. But that alone was tricky, and the game suffered from slowdown making it worse. I'm glad I don't have to worry about that stage again.

It's also worth noting that if you find them fun, you can play the Blue Sphere stages from the menu and if you select "Mania" there are new levels with new mechanics. There are green ones that take two passes to turn red and pink warp spheres.